“They can’t draw anybody to games, they have no natural rivalries and they’re not very good,” “Is that what people want?” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“They can’t draw anybody to games, they have no natural rivalries and they’re not very good,” “Is that what people want?”

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's a conference who's champion is playing a good #10 Penn St in the Cotton Bowl. If that's also-ran then sign me up. Watch Memphis recruiting the next couple of years and not just in football. How many bowls are the watered-down Big East playing in this year and how much money are they NOT making from it?

Doesn't matter. They look like they're gonna take Penn State to the woodshed, congrats, you lost your coach and you're ranked 10th, wow, major, truly seismic.

Reaction Score
"also-ran American Athletic Conference "

sorry, but it's turned into a decent football conference. I'm really sick of that second-rate conference false narrative.
Not to mention, if we had lived up to our billing the conference would have been very solid.
A young but growing program had two disastrous coaching hires in a row and flushed a decade of development.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Northeastern is an also ran school. It’s where you head after BC and BU reject you.
NU is an up and comer. UConn is a safety school for NU these days.

Reaction Score
Actually Waquoit may not be that far off. I have a little background on this. My daughter just graduated from UConn (also applied to Northeastern) this past spring and my son is a junior at Northeastern (also applied to UConn). A quick look at the numbers (per Prep Scholar)...

Northeastern - Avg. SAT 1450, GPA 4.01, Acceptance 19.3%
UConn - Avg. SAT 1350, GPA 3.77, Acceptance 48.8%

BC - Avg. SAT 1410, GPA 3.94, Acceptance 27.9%
BU - Avg. SAT 1415, GPA 3.71, Acceptance 22.1%

BC may have the swag and rep in Boston, but both NU and BU are fine schools also. NU has very strong Business and Engineering programs and their calling card is the CO-OP. By the numbers NU is actually a little more selective and has a slightly higher academic requirement than BC or BU. NU isn't a fall back for BC or BU applicants anymore. One of my son's "safety" schools was in fact UConn. That's not a knock on our flagship, but NU's profile has skyrocketed over the last few years. IMHO NU and Quinnipiac are the two schools that have "gamed" the system (U.S. News & world Report rankings, etc.) and grown more than anyone in else in New England of late. That being said, I was happy with both my kid's choices. My daughter had a job upon graduating from UConn and seemed to really prosper in Storrs. She has a very happy Husky dad.

Guess I could have saved money if I bought one t-shirt that said "go Huskies"...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually Waquoit may not be that far off. I have a little background on this. My daughter just graduated from UConn (also applied to Northeastern) this past spring and my son is a junior at Northeastern (also applied to UConn). A quick look at the numbers (per Prep Scholar)...

BC may have the swag and rep in Boston, but both NU and BU are fine schools also. NU has very strong Business and Engineering programs and their calling card is the CO-OP. By the numbers NU is actually a little more selective and has a slightly higher academic requirement than BC or BU. NU isn't a fall back for BC or BU applicants anymore. One of my son's "safety" schools was in fact UConn. That's not a knock on our flagship, but NU's profile has skyrocketed over the last few years. IMHO NU and Quinnipiac are the two schools that have "gamed" the system (U.S. News & world Report rankings, etc.) and grown more than anyone in else in New England of late. That being said, I was happy with both my kid's choices. My daughter had a job upon graduating from UConn and seemed to really prosper in Storrs. She has a very happy Husky dad.

Guess I could have saved money if I bought one t-shirt that said "go Huskies"...
Just looked it up. They have moved up a ton. Looks like they put the gauntlet down on selectivity and juiced their numbers. Still not buying what they’re selling.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day if you graduate from UConn or Northeastern with say, a Chemical Engineering degree, does it make a huge difference? Is one program better than the other? Probably not. Like all things college it has become an arms race. Higher rankings, shiny new facilities, etc. All equals more and more money. They all try to spin their admissions standards to create the best picture possible.

Northeastern football...undefeated since 2009! :cool:

Reaction Score
It’s been a good school with a tough workload for at least 30 years. The internships offered at Northeastern and Wentworth (which is next door) are excellent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wasn't just blowing smoke. NU has zoomed lately.

Reaction Score
Hit the nail right on the head. A lot of State U's (UConn included) have increased their out of state admissions. Boosts their academics profile and the bottom line since out-of-state tution is close to double that of in-state. NU is looking internationally. See a lot more Gucci sneakers and Canada Goose down jackets at NU than at Storrs. I'm sure many of these kids pay full boat. The school has done well at chasing the money train.

Reaction Score

sorry... BC isn't Harvard as much as they want to be considered on that level.
BU and NU are not BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger