“Every position on this team has been up for grabs the last two days” | The Boneyard

“Every position on this team has been up for grabs the last two days”

Reaction Score
I wonder with him mentioning not wanting to play Gaffney and Cole as much together if we are going to start picking up full court on D. I hope this is the case. With our athleticism and depth I think we could wear some teams out.
The D has been very passive so far. Love this idea, we certainly have the depth. (Although a couple guys need to learn how to keep their man in fron of them).

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The D has been very passive so far. Love this idea, we certainly have the depth. (Although a couple guys need to learn how to keep their man in fron of them).
big although, but i'd love to see it.

Reaction Score
Love hearing this. The team has missed this the last few years because the talent base just wasn't deep enough. Let them beat each other up in practice and may the best guys play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is not a Calhoun/Hurley comparison but I remember in Voskuhl's freshman year, they stunk it up at the Civic Center against a much lesser opponent. When they got back to Gampel, Calhoun told them to get out on the floor and he practiced them that night. Voskuhl wanted to transfer out after that night.

I have always been of the school of thought that hard practices build tougher teams. You have to know how and when to press the gas, but I really believe that day to day intensity forges a will and an attitude. I loved seeing these quotes and, with the depth on this team, I would imagine this year will have some epic practices.

Reaction Score
This is not a Calhoun/Hurley comparison but I remember in Voskuhl's freshman year, they stunk it up at the Civic Center against a much lesser opponent. When they got back to Gampel, Calhoun told them to get out on the floor and he practiced them that night. Voskuhl wanted to transfer out after that night.

I have always been of the school of thought that hard practices build tougher teams. You have to know how and when to press the gas, but I really believe that day to day intensity forges a will and an attitude. I loved seeing these quotes and, with the depth on this team, I would imagine this year will have some epic practices.

I have seen the interview where Voskuhl tells that story. That practice almost broke him.

Reaction Score

Also a pretty good way to get your team injured. Also there's NCAA rules against it. You can't get away with that stuff any more.

Don't get me wrong, I love Calhoun. But that wasn't what made him a great coach.

But yeah. Tough practices make tough teams. I think one of the reasons the UConn women have been so dominant is the level of practice player they've been able to get in the gym. When I was playing D2 (and never saw the court because I'm terrible) I often had to fill in and help the women's team practice because they couldn't get ANYONE to play with them.

Reaction Score
Also a pretty good way to get your team injured. Also there's NCAA rules against it. You can't get away with that stuff any more.

Don't get me wrong, I love Calhoun. But that wasn't what made him a great coach.

Agree to disagree. How many stupid injuries in practice did Calhoun have?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom