“Defending National Champs” UCF Opening Game of 2018 at The Rent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“Defending National Champs” UCF Opening Game of 2018 at The Rent

Reaction Score
final AP ranking for UCF: #6 (4 first place votes), Alabama has the rest of the 57 first place votes
ridiculous... so the Committee puts up a beast to put UCF in its place and that didn't work. So, the AP, which is part of the buddy system, just ignores it. They went undefeated beating the only team that put down both Alabama and Georgia and they are 6th? There really is no shame left.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
ridiculous... so the Committee puts up a beast to put UCF in its place and that didn't work. So, the AP, which is part of the buddy system, just ignores it. They went undefeated beating the only team that put down both Alabama and Georgia and they are 6th? There really is no shame left.

I'm taking the opposite view on this one.

They finished 6th; something that we all knew would happen to them and perhaps we were even expecting worse, based on JMoney's article for pre-season top 25.

However, there were 4 people out there who said, "Yeah, they WERE number 1", even though it would have been very simple to just write in Alabama. And 4 people is a lot better than a single voter taking some sort of principled stance or a protest vote. Seeing the 4 votes in parentheses is somewhat of a victory, in my opinion...

Reaction Score
No, what I was saying is that on the first weekend "our" level will be what you saw last night. Unless of course, UCF is not the first weekend opponent.
Guess I have more faith in this incoming class. I do believe, especially with the early signing period and getting access to the strength and conditioning program early, these players will be ready to roll come the fall. Lineman obviously will need more time to develop but I believe the skill players on both sides of the ball will come in ready to compete with UCF and Boise. I’m assuming these players aren’t jaded like lots of UConn fans and actually believe in themselves and couldn’t care less what happened last season. Call me crazy but I think we will see a much better product next season

Reaction Score
I'm taking the opposite view on this one.

They finished 6th; something that we all knew would happen to them and perhaps we were even expecting worse, based on JMoney's article for pre-season top 25.

However, there were 4 people out there who said, "Yeah, they WERE number 1", even though it would have been very simple to just write in Alabama. And 4 people is a lot better than a single voter taking some sort of principled stance or a protest vote. Seeing the 4 votes in parentheses is somewhat of a victory, in my opinion...

Pre-season THIS year, they were unranked.

NEXT year they are ranked 21st (so far) - and they are bringing back 16/22 starters. So they have already laid it out that there is no path for them to reach the top 4 next year also.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Pre-season THIS year, they were unranked.

NEXT year they are ranked 21st (so far) - and they are bringing back 16/22 starters. So they have already laid it out that there is no path for them to reach the top 4 next year also.

You might be right, but I think there is a path from #21. It just means that they'll have to go undefeated, but we already knew that before any poll was taken...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You might be right, but I think there is a path from #21. It just means that they'll have to go undefeated, but we already knew that before any poll was taken...

They can’t go undefeated...

Reaction Score
They can’t go undefeated...
Could you imagine Whaler?

Legit question. Do you think at least 30k would should up for that game since it’s UCF and the hype they’ll receive next year?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Could you imagine Whaler?

Legit question. Do you think at least 30k would should up for that game since it’s UCF and the hype they’ll receive next year?

No way.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
No way.

I so desperately want you to be wrong about this, but my gut reaction is that you are probably right.

I'm hoping that maybe the buzz of a ranked team and possible good weather turns out more folks than anticipated. But I also have the feeling that our fanbase has turned into a "show me first" type of fanbase. And that's in multiple sports, too...

Reaction Score
No way.
Well, I’m hoping Spring practice and the coverage they’ll most likely get will show a much improved team. I’m sure RE will do whatever he can to express that this incoming class is leaps and bounds ahead of schedule and that he’s expecting really good things from the team as a whole. He’ll surely tout the uptick in athleticism, physicality etc. Maybe the Spring game will look a lot better than last years as well.
I’m feeling a decent crowd for the UCF game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, I’m hoping Spring practice and the coverage they’ll most likely get will show a much improved team. I’m sure RE will do whatever he can to express that this incoming class is leaps and bounds ahead of schedule and that he’s expecting really good things from the team as a whole. He’ll surely tout the uptick in athleticism, physicality etc. Maybe the Spring game will look a lot better than last years as well.
I’m feeling a decent crowd for the UCF game.

It’s Labor Day weekend. They don’t draw flies.

Reaction Score
Just a friendly reminder of our first game next year as the National Champs come to East Hartford!

I know UCF had a good season but we'll see how they hold up in front of 19K rabid UConn fans!!

Seriously though, maybe the trend of playing to the level of our opponent in week 1 will continue in 2018 and actually build some momentum this time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I so desperately want you to be wrong about this, but my gut reaction is that you are probably right.

I'm hoping that maybe the buzz of a ranked team and possible good weather turns out more folks than anticipated. But I also have the feeling that our fanbase has turned into a "show me first" type of fanbase. And that's in multiple sports, too...

They are going to be a 4 touchdown underdog and it’s Labor Day weekend.

Outside of here nobody locally has UCF fever.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hear it takes a while for the anti depressants to kick in. Hang in there bro, it's all gonna be okay.

You are the one who prides themselves on misrepresenting things.

You complaining about ‘fake news’ is disingenuous poppycock. I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are bright enough to understand it’s disingenous.

I am cool with reality, unlike you, I don’t need to try and bend it into something that makes me feel better.

I love when clowns like you are reduced to nothing but snide personal comments because you’ve got no legitimate arguments.

Reaction Score
You are the one who prides themselves on misrepresenting things.

You complaining about ‘fake news’ is disingenuous poppycock. I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are bright enough to understand it’s disingenous.

I am cool with reality, unlike you, I don’t need to try and bend it into something that makes me feel better.

I love when clowns like you are reduced to nothing but snide personal comments because you’ve got no legitimate arguments.

Just trying to help. Not only do you sound depressed and angry but with almost 35,000 posts could be OCD. You poor baby!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Calling it now UConn upsets UCF in a monsoon

Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Calling it now UConn upsets UCF in a monsoon

Go Huskies

It is probably our turn for a hurricane so the game will be postponed Bill. ;) I would hope for a Friday night or Saturday night game. Saturday there would be no traffic issues. We could get 30k. The offense will be better next year based on returning experience at QB, WR and O line. The vibe for FB is on the upswing. I hope fans return. Maybe ticket pricing will help.

Reaction Score
Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom