Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To me this is no big deal. Yes he is good but this is just something that popped up. Let him go to St Johns, who cares. Mullins and Ollie sounds like a comedy team. They should have a podcast. "The Mullins and Ollie hour" How to make a mess of a top tier basketball program.

Ollie didn't make a mess of the program. If he had, Hurley wouldn't have taken the job. Ollie performed terribly and wasted a lot of people's time, but we don't need to make it more than it is. A mess is Pittsburgh or St. John's when Mullin took over.

Speaking of that, you're misinformed if you think Mullin is some joke. Steve Lavin left the program in shambles and Mullin took the job knowing the beginning would be ugly. 8-24 in year one to maybe contending for the Big East crown in year four. Not bad.

Reaction Score
St. John's is 73 miles away from West Haven, and UConn is 66 miles. I have no idea why you responded to me with that post considering they're both almost the exact same distance from his mother.

Not sure, but West Haven to Hartford is 42 miles with far less traffic.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Whether it's state lines/hometown radius/how many colleges within a specific distance, there should be some set of guidelines in place. Not having that in place is asking for unfairness/bias/corruption.

Pretty sure that if he chooses BC or Maryland (both of which are apparently recruiting him) and is granted a waiver, most of you here would not be too pleased.
From what I understand the general rule is 100 miles. Also keep in mind that the NCAA is going to vote this summer on adopting new rules where anyone with above a 3.0GPA can transfer with immediate eligibility. He is well above a 3.0.

Reaction Score
From what I understand the general rule is 100 miles. Also keep in mind that the NCAA is going to vote this summer on adopting new rules where anyone with above a 3.0GPA can transfer with immediate eligibility. He is well above a 3.0.

Thanks for clarifying Ucann. You the best!

Reaction Score
There is no way that rule goes into effect for the upcoming year if it does pass.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
There is no way that rule goes into effect for the upcoming year if it does pass.
That is what they are speculating on the SJ board.
Thanks for clarifying Ucann. You the best!
But keep in mind that there isn't much precedent for out of state schools. Which should be our angle, It's more likely to be granted to an instate school.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Ollie didn't make a mess of the program. If he had, Hurley wouldn't have taken the job. Ollie performed terribly and wasted a lot of people's time, but we don't need to make it more than it is. A mess is Pittsburgh or St. John's when Mullin took over.

Speaking of that, you're misinformed if you think Mullin is some joke. Steve Lavin left the program in shambles and Mullin took the job knowing the beginning would be ugly. 8-24 in year one to maybe contending for the Big East crown in year four. Not bad.
Mullin is a train wreck. He has 12 league wins in 3 years. Lavin won 20 games both of his last two seasons and had 1 NCAA and 1 NIT appearance. They are nowhere near contending for a BE title and it’ll be Mullin leaving them in actual shambles, not Lavin.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard, from someone who is close to Heron is that UConn is still in the mix. Hurley is heavily involved and thinks he’s a perfect fit in his offense. He’s a strong, talented, versatile 6’5 player that can do a bit of everything. Similar to EC Matthews who he loved at URI. The lack of a scholarship available as others have mentioned for next season is a concern for both parties.
This is hardly a swing and miss.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
St. John's is 73 miles away from West Haven, and UConn is 66 miles. I have no idea why you responded to me with that post considering they're both almost the exact same distance from his mother.
I agree that these distances don't matter. I do believe plenty of people fake illnesses, or play them up, in these situations. It's the only loophole these kids can usually exploit when it comes to changing schools without penalty.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
I think traffic should be factored in and I’m sure getting to Queens is miserable.

Reaction Score
I don’t feel like this is over. I feel a few more twist and turns coming

Reaction Score
debatable, out of state is out of state is the point, its not about exact distance. There are plenty of D1 options in CT that would serve him right and still be close to his family. Would be good to see some guidelines on these waivers.

West Haven is close to New York city. That is a fact. Its not debatable. Kids play basketball at college thousands of miles from home. 76 miles is nothing. In fact, its less than 10 miles further than Storrs is.

Reaction Score
Also should be considered that he may not have access to the car he got in his Auburn package. If he is to be dependent on public transit, SJU is much more accessible from West Haven, via MTA.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I don’t feel like this is over. I feel a few more twist and turns coming
Feel or want?

Once he picks a school he’s going to enroll in summer courses most likely. It’s going to be over then.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure that transfers don't have to sign LOI's.

Pretty sure they do when they get money.

It appears that he does not need to sign a new letter. This is from the National Letter site directly. Recruiting FAQs

Do I sign an NLI if I transfer to another four-year institution?

No. NLI policy prohibits student-athletes transferring from one four-year institution to another four-year institution (4-4 transfer) from signing an NLI inasmuch as they are no longer prospective student-athletes.

Reaction Score

Whaaaaat?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Not sure, but West Haven to Hartford is 42 miles with far less traffic.

If you want to see a game, it's definitely better. If his mom is actually sick, I don't think she's going to be going to many games.

Reaction Score
Feel or want?

Once he picks a school he’s going to enroll in summer courses most likely. It’s going to be over then.
Feel but that’s feeling could be driven by what I want to happen lol. I think he’ll take more visits after St Johns

Reaction Score
The natural place for him to transfer is to New Britain. He can play for a for a former Top-5 NBA draft pick and join his dad as a CCSU alum!

His father, Bryon Heron, played at Central Connecticut State and professionally in Europe. He was inducted to the CCSU Athletics Hall of Fame in 2000.
Bio: Basketball 1985-1989, 4-year standout. CCSU's first Division I UPI Al-New England selection, 1988-89. Seventh on the all-time scoring list with 1,558 points. Career scoring average of 14.4 ppg. Career rebounding average of 6.6 rpg.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love the state lines. Sick parent in Phili? You can go to Pitt but not Delaware? Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom