zach Edey— Donovan Clingan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

zach Edey— Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
I personally think the nba discounted edey but come this draft he’ll get his due.He reminds me of Yao Ming and while the nba is faster and more spread out Zach is to good not to find a nice spot. 7-4 280 is a big man in a league that still makes use of them. Donovan is no way ahead of edey as of now but dc has a great deal to work with and would love to see him develop here rather than taking a chance as a second rd pick
Boban Marjonovic is 7'4" 290 lbs. He plays about 5 minutes per game (garbage time). That size is only used if it moves well enough to not get burned by every other player on the court.

If low post play mattered to the NBA, Sanogo would have been a lottery pick last year.

Edey will get killed on the high pick and roll, and will be unplayable against pro's. He will probably be drafted, but it will be about 15 spots after DC.

DC could sit out the rest of the season and still be chosen in the first round because he has good feet, is a tremendous defender around the rim, and has the potential to be a great shooter and passer from the top of the key. He is a FAR better defender than Edey. This is a skill that is directly translatable to the NBA right now. Everything he isn't elite at now will be worked on in his first couple years as a pro (that's how NBA teams look at it). Edey can't move with the same quickness as DC. His low post offense doesn't matter. No one in the NBA plays out of the low post.

Oscar Tshiebwe was the National Player of the Year in college. He wasn't drafted. He can't get on the court in the NBA. What you did in college doesn't matter. What matters is what they think you are capable of down the line. What is your body capable of.

Reaction Score
In Zach Edey's first three NCAA Tournaments

As a 4 seed, they lose to 13 North Texas State in the first round

As a 3 seed, they lose to 15 St Peters in the S 16

As a 1 seed, they lose to 16 Fairleigh Dickenson in the first round

Seeded 1,3 & 4, they're 2-3 collectively, losing to a 13,15 and 16

PS: one of those wins was over the mighty Yale Bulldogs, so there's that

That's the epitome of overrated
They’ll be in the final 4 this year

Reaction Score
Boban Marjonovic is 7'4" 290 lbs. He plays about 5 minutes per game (garbage time). That size is only used if it moves well enough to not get burned by every other player on the court.

If low post play mattered to the NBA, Sanogo would have been a lottery pick last year.

Edey will get killed on the high pick and roll, and will be unplayable against pro's. He will probably be drafted, but it will be about 15 spots after DC.

DC could sit out the rest of the season and still be chosen in the first round because he has good feet, is a tremendous defender around the rim, and has the potential to be a great shooter and passer from the top of the key. He is a FAR better defender than Edey. This is a skill that is directly translatable to the NBA right now. Everything he isn't elite at now will be worked on in his first couple years as a pro (that's how NBA teams look at it). Edey can't move with the same quickness as DC. His low post offense doesn't matter. No one in the NBA plays out of the low post.

Oscar Tshiebwe was the National Player of the Year in college. He wasn't drafted. He can't get on the court in the NBA. What you did in college doesn't matter. What matters is what they think you are capable of down the line. What is your body capable of.
Boban’s commercials are great!

Reaction Score
I forgot to mention something:
UConn and Purdue have a common opponent this season, Indiana.
Similar games. Purdue won by 21, UConn won by 20.
In the Purdue/IU game Edey took 23 shots (11-23, 33 points) 36 min
In the UConn/IU game DC took 3 shots (1-3, 7 points) 30 min

A person who didn't understand any nuance at all would say "look how much better Edey is". A person who understood basketball would say "UConn has a half dozen awesome players, and doesn't run the offense through one player".
This doesn't make DC worse, it actually makes him efficient, and able to let the game come to him. This is a skill that all NBA players (outside of about 10 of the very best) will have to acquire. An NBA team will not look at these common opponent games and say "Edey is 26 points better" because no one cares about low post scoring. They do however care about how many shots weren't taken at the rim because of the presence of a player, which is where DC is pretty much without equal.

Reaction Score
Purdue and UConn run completely different sets as you mentioned. Purdue makes no secret they run their offense through their bigs on almost every set. UConn runs a lot more ball screens and shots through their perimeter. One difference between the IU matchup- Purdue won in Bloomington
Either way- two great college BB teams

Reaction Score
According to every mock draft currently, Zedey won’t sniff the first round and DC Is still projected lottery. Zach stayed four years and has what to show for it? Being apart of the upset of the century and developing a drop step that hasn’t been a coveted asset for NBA BIG men in over a decade. Don has way more potential to be a modern NBA center and will/should leave after this year. Especially playing in the Big East where the style of play is arguably the least like NBA basketball out of any conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That's not exactly true. Some of the recent mock drafts have Edey in the first round.

#14 here: 2024 NBA mock draft: 21 college prospects scouts are monitoring

#15 here: 2024 NBA Mock Draft V.2

#28 here: 247Sports 2024 NBA Draft Big Board 2.0: 'You have to pick someone'
I haven’t looked in a couple weeks I guess but last time I looked he was barely in the fist round of most mocks. Regardless, he just doesn’t have NBA game, and don’t think he’s quite comparable to DC outside of the height.

Reaction Score
Draft Edey in the first round if you think defensive 3-in-the-key will be eliminated at some point in the near future due to the rising of points being scored per game

Think they are both great players, would love to see uconn/purdue play at some point in the tournament. Edey gets his fair share of criticism and praise. It's funny. Fans complained for so long about how guys never stay and they miss dominant big men and this and that, and yet when we get one, so many fans are leaping over others to be the loudest to proclaim "HES JUST TALL".

As for who's better? There's a reason one is player of the year and the other is a more highly sought after pro prospect. I do wonder how many threads were started by purdue fans asking if Edey's backup was actually better than him

Reaction Score
I do wonder how many threads were started by purdue fans asking if Edey's backup was actually better than him
Lol, i would bet none this season, but i may take the over on 0.5 after the FDU game.

Reaction Score
After the Hasheem Thabeet experiment where he was drafted before James Harden, Steph Curry and Ricky Rubio I doubt Edy will go in the top 20. Our Steph should though.

Reaction Score
I love dc and hope he has watched the career of Zach edey. Zach is a complete fundamentally skilled player who has perfected his game by taking the time progress through extra years at Purdue. I think the nba missed on edey so far— but there will be no question this year as he goes top 10/15
He’s built his stamina conditioning to go 35 minutes and has learned to play without fouling. Dc is way behind him but I do think dc if he takes care of his body. Doesn’t rush to the nba can assert a game similar to edey and also develop into a player that is not only nba first rd but nba ready
Only reason Edey is here is he was not going to get drafted or a late second round pick. He would make more at Purdue and better lifestyle.

He probably has shown strides athletically to go in first round. But I would still bet on Clingan going ahead of him.

That said Clingan could use another year, and if NIL is good, why give that up?

I think for all the bad NIL and portal are causing, it is going to keep a lot of maybe players in college.

Reaction Score
Only reason Edey is here is he was not going to get drafted or a late second round pick. He would make more at Purdue and better lifestyle.

He probably has shown strides athletically to go in first round. But I would still bet on Clingan going ahead of him.

That said Clingan could use another year, and if NIL is good, why give that up?

I think for all the bad NIL and portal are causing, it is going to keep a lot of maybe players in college.

The last point is interesting for sure. And BB is a funny sport - you can be critical to a college team and the pros may not want you. Everyone has to do their own math.

Reaction Score
I haven’t looked in a couple weeks I guess but last time I looked he was barely in the fist round of most mocks. Regardless, he just doesn’t have NBA game, and don’t think he’s quite comparable to DC outside of the height.
Another one from The Ringer. Updated today. Edey #19. Clingan #17.

I'm not arguing that Edey is going to be a better pro than Clingan. Just disputing your statement that, "According to every mock draft currently, Zedey won’t sniff the first round and DC is still projected lottery."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'm not arguing that Edey is going to be a better pro than Clingan. Just disputing your statement that, "According to every mock draft currently, Zedey won’t sniff the first round and DC Is still projected lottery."

And Filipowski is ahead of both of them in this mock. He is the most offensively skilled of the three by a wide margin.

Internationals are really dominating this draft.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

I'm not arguing that Edey is going to be a better pro than Clingan. Just disputing your statement that, "According to every mock draft currently, Zedey won’t sniff the first round and DC is still projected lottery."

As you show, absolutist statements require absolutist proof.

Reaction Score
I feel like we need a pinned thread for “Clingan/Castle should stay another year” that the rest of us can just ignore.
What you can't ignore is the number of great players, not only in the USA but around the world, and how many may be in this draft..............all of which can change draft positions markedly.

Reaction Score
I forgot to mention something:
UConn and Purdue have a common opponent this season, Indiana.
Similar games. Purdue won by 21, UConn won by 20.
In the Purdue/IU game Edey took 23 shots (11-23, 33 points) 36 min
In the UConn/IU game DC took 3 shots (1-3, 7 points) 30 min

A person who didn't understand any nuance at all would say "look how much better Edey is". A person who understood basketball would say "UConn has a half dozen awesome players, and doesn't run the offense through one player".
This doesn't make DC worse, it actually makes him efficient, and able to let the game come to him. This is a skill that all NBA players (outside of about 10 of the very best) will have to acquire. An NBA team will not look at these common opponent games and say "Edey is 26 points better" because no one cares about low post scoring. They do however care about how many shots weren't taken at the rim because of the presence of a player, which is where DC is pretty much without equal.
This is exactly how scouts thinks neither player is a potential dominant No. 1 scorer that you build your offense around. So, what else do you and can do?

These guys ignore scoring. Can edey be a 15 8 guy and be a run protector? I actually think he can. I

Can you make a major impact in the game without scoring? That is the question.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom