Your First UConn Game | The Boneyard

Your First UConn Game

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
This photo popped up in my Facebook memories this morning.

D0C72468-7CB4-4A6A-9EC6-65EE7485AAE9.jpeg

January 31, 2011

It was my first game at Gampel, and #2 UConn put the smack down on #3 Duke. Maya was doing Maya things, a freshman Stef Dolson was running a rebounding clinic, and the entire game was just so smooth. Watching WBB games on TV was a regular social event in my department, but watching them live for the first time really solidified my respect for their style of play and the program Geno built.

So... your first game? Let’s get some positive vibes flowing around here before tipoff...

Reaction Score
First in-person game was a nail-biter with Va Tech on January 29, 2002. The Tech fans were very loud!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Truth is...I don't remember which was the first. I saw Rebecca Lobo play in high school and went down early in her frosh year primarily to see her and to get inside Gampel..quite new at the time. I was a UConn men's fan at the time.
$5 per person to get in...a small section in the lower bowl roped off for season ticket holders...take a seat anywhere else. They were a pretty good team....got into the tourney with zero expectations to advance far....went 23-11...got crushed by Vandy in the second round.

Debbie Baer/Wendy Davis/Meghan Pattyson were on that team. Wendy was a great three point shooter..Debbie was a pass first/pass second/pass third point. If it wasn't a lay--up she didn't shoot [slight exaggeration...only slight].
Enjoyed whatever game it was and went back many times and immediately became a big fan.

The next year Jen Rizzott/Jamelle Elliot came on board. They were still 'pretty good'. Next year Kara Wolters and Carla Berube joined....the team was very good...lost to eventual champ North Carolina in the final 8. Nykesha joined the next year...made just a tad of difference...35-0...beat LadyVol Herself 70-64 in the finals.

BTW: this is to anti-jinx us. We 'may' get our first consecutive losses today. In Jen's frosh year I was at the game last time that happened. We had lost in the Big East tourney...maybe Miami. We hosted Louisville in round one of the NCAA and lost 74-71. It's been a 28 year run without consecutive losses...let's keep it going!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The first UConn women’s basketball game I ever saw would be through the curtains they used to wrap around the court at the field house, in between sets. I doubt even 100 people were there.

Reaction Score
I think either 85 or 86 against Providence and got our 'you know what's' handed to us. Field House, snuck in. Friend of mine who went to EO Smith knew all the nooks and crannies of the place.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If your first in-person game was one with Maya Moore on the floor, things go pretty much downhill from there.

My first in-person game was the National Semi-finals in Philly in 2000. Geno's Steaks proved to be better than Pat's Steaks 2 days later.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
If your first in-person game was one with Maya Moore on the floor, things go pretty much downhill from there.

My first in-person game was the National Semi-finals in Philly in 2000. Geno's Steaks proved to be better than Pat's Steaks 2 days later.

Maya was a treat that I didn’t know enough to appreciate at the time, but that kid from Syracuse turned out to be pretty okay, too.

Your food was better in Philly than mine was in Storrs...

Reaction Score
My first in person game was Katie Lou's "barf bucket" game against Maryland. Will likely be heading to Georgetown sometime in the future, though I doubt the game will be as exciting...

Maybe Brenda will set up another home and home series moving forward.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My first in person game was Katie Lou's "barf bucket" game against Maryland. Will likely be heading to Georgetown sometime in the future, though I doubt the game will be as exciting...

Maybe Brenda will set up another home and home series moving forward.
We should get together when the pandemic permits. I'm in Alexandria.

I was at the barf bucket game as well!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
My first and only game to see UConn live was 11/28/17, at the Lawlor Events Center in Reno, NV against UNR, it was Gabby's homecoming game. I wanted to see KLS play, but she was still sitting because of her ankle injury in the Cal game at Gampel. Kia went wild and was 9 for 10, 8 for 8 from three for 27 pts, while Gabby had 5 steals and 18 pts. They set a State of Nevada attendance record, 7,815 for a women's basketball game. I would love to see them at Gampel, but wife hates basketball. She's from Germany and would rather watch Alpine skiing and bobsledding.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
My first and only game to see UConn live was 11/28/17, at the Lawlor Events Center in Reno, NV against UNR, it was Gabby's homecoming game. I wanted to see KLS play, but she was still sitting because of her ankle injury in the Cal game at Gampel. Kia went wild and was 9 for 10, 8 for 8 from three for 27 pts, while Gabby had 5 steals and 18 pts. They set a State of Nevada attendance record, 7,815 for a women's basketball game. I would love to see them at Gampel, but wife hates basketball. She's from Germany and would rather watch Alpine skiing and bobsledding.

I’ve seen plenty of baseball and football games in exchange for the boyfriend sitting through plays and musicals he despises.

I bet there is enough to do in New England for you to create some kind of package deal that gets you to Gampel...

Reaction Score
1982 in the field house when I was a student. Not many people there. Can’t remember who they were playing.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Sadly, I've never witnessed a UConn women's basketball game in person and until last February, when @EricLA and @CTtoSanDiego persuaded me to attend a high school basketball game featuring Husky recruit Isuneh "Ice" Brady (41 points, 17 rebounds), I'd never been to a women's basketball game of any type.

The chances of me leaving my San Diego lair are close to zero so try to convince Geno to schedule a game here against the Aztecs so I can get off the schneid.

Reaction Score
Sadly, I've never witnessed a UConn women's basketball game in person and until last February, when @EricLA and @CTtoSanDiego persuaded me to attend a high school basketball game featuring Husky recruit Isuneh "Ice" Brady (41 points, 17 rebounds), I'd never been to a women's basketball game of any type.

The chances of me leaving my San Diego lair are close to zero so try to convince Geno to schedule a game here against the Aztecs so I can get off the schneid.
I won't be heading back either.... but was lucky enough to see the Huskies play SDSU a dozen years or so ago. Maya Moore was a freshman..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom