Your first Uconn game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Your first Uconn game

Reaction Score
I was there, my first season going with my dad, but not my first game, which for all I know could have been AIC, and in any case was likely the Frosh game beforehand the Varsity.

For a 4th grader, mostly on schoolnights, 30+ miles from home before I-84 was built, it was magical. Even when it's not, it still is.
Freshman games. Forgot about those. When did they do away with freshman teams?

Reaction Score
Mid to late sixties vs University Of Hawaii Rainbows. Hawaii was ranked like 15 or so and it was a big game with a big crowd. I mostly remember the Hawaii uniforms...very colorful.

Reaction Score
Uconn vs Providence?, HCC, 94-95?

I was 9 when my sister first enrolled to UConn. I met up with her and her boyfriend, and all I remember is the mascot halftime game where the Bob’s Discount Furniture mascot was a doofy mattress with human hands sticking out.

Whenever anyone would pass to him/her there would be a *thud* sound because the poor sucker’s wingspan was a mere 10 inches, much too short to catch and control a basketball.

I’ve been a fan since and an alum since ‘08.

Thank you Bob.

Reaction Score
my first game in person was 2014 duke and uconn at the izod center. boatright went off, but unfortunately the rest of the team couldn't gel together offensively. i think okafor was held to just 7 points if im not mistaken. 64-54 i think was the score. awesome UCONN atmosphere and totally out numbered the dukies. despite losing, the entire arena and parking lot were packed with uconn chants. we are out there!
whoa scrap this post by me! this was my second game that I've been in person

My first was in 2014 in the 2k classic final vs Indiana at Madison Square garden. Since my bro was a Hoosier alum, we elected to go. Packed with UCONN fans and very passionate IU fans. I Was sitting like 10 rows up behind the left basket (TV view) and a whole row of husky fans got thrown out for having a friendly fight with some Indiana fans. entire arena was on its heels when i think it was noah vonleh who turned around and missed that game winner. it was right then and there my other brother said "this kid napier, is gonna do what kemba did a few years ago. he can absolutely takeover."

Reaction Score
My first TV game was probably 84 or so versus Providence when they had Otis Thorpe and we had Tim Coles and Earl Kelley. Vividly remember Tim Coles giving up 5-6 inches to Patrick Ewing and playing him even.

First in-person game was in 93, I think. The year Donyell hurt his knee and had the ginormous brace. Had season tickets from 99-03 and did not miss a home game but have only gone sporadically since.

Reaction Score
My first in person game was the opener of Gampel Pavilion against St. John's. I was 8 and my cousin called my mom a couple hours before the game to see if I'd be interested in going since he knew I was a big Celtics fan. I was completely caught up in the pageantry of the opening and cheering as loudly as I could right up until the end. After the game I wanted a Chris Smith jersey about as much as anything (which I did buy myself years later) and knew then I'd go to college at UConn.

Thanks for giving me a reason to think about that day again. Here's to brighter days ahead for our beloved Huskies!

Reaction Score
Fall of 1983 at the Cage at Umass. It was Karl Hobbs senior year. UConn lost by 2 points. I was a freshman in high school. Four years later I would be a freshman at UConn and have had season tickets for the most part since then. Can’t wait for even a preseason game with Hurley at the helm now! And my son will be a freshman at UConn this fall.
Extra likes! Really close to mine. My memory guess was Yale (easily most common first game opponent reading thru thread) and looked it up to verify. My Dad took me to the BE tournament semis in spring 1983 (not 1st UConn game but hey at least UConn didn't lose in the dreaded 8-9, lost a close one to Nova in #7 vs #2 68-69). Worth mentioning cuz that's when I fell in love with college hoop, MAdams & gawkey Jay Murphy for BC, Pinone (amazing effective ground bound bruiser and essentially cheater) for Nova, Leo Rautins Sr for Cuse and sophomore sensation Chris Mullin for St John's.

12/1/83 - UConn 76 Yale 54 - Earl Kelley was a sophomore and fell in love with the way he spun the ball off the backboard for layups and his rainbow j's.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
First live UConn game for me was the first two rounds of dismantling in Buffalo in ‘04.

Some schmo 15 seed then smoked DePaul as the 10 seed. Scalped tickets and wore my 7 year old Ricky Moore jersey which was a de facto Josh Boone. Knew they’d make a run.

Didn’t go in 2014, which oddly isn’t a regret when they beat Joes and Nova. I was too nervous and didn’t wanna see them lose if they did.

Made a Gampel and XL trip in the last few years and also saw them at UB in 09 early season when an average UB team darn near beat em with Thabeet and the boys - they were I think 2 or 4 in the country at the time.

Reaction Score
2014 game against Louisville at home. Still stands as the most BS I have ever seen, but the atmosphere at that game was something I had never seen before. Certainly will never forget it.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It's a bit of a stereotype, but the first game I ever saw was Allen vs. Allen. My dad was/is a casual fan but the whole state watched this game. I was 9 and I decided this was my game, my team, and took ownership of being a fan of the team from that point on.

One of my most vivid early memories.

Me and my buddy loved AI but I was already deep in love with Raymond Allen, and when he made that shot I went bonkers, watching it in his room in between sega bouts.

Reaction Score
Freshman year. January 1990 v Syracuse in Hartford. Couldn't believe the energy in the building. Husky4life. Been waiting for the opportunity to share that energy with my kids - which I think Hurley will bring back to the program. Biggest regrets - not making it to any of the Final Four games due to lame excuses - distance, job, money, etc...not to mention difficulty even watching the games - closing my eyes, going outside or to another room at some of the biggest moments - hoping beyond hope that my absence made a difference in those moments.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
First witnessed: December ‘78 vs Fairfield at the Field House. We beat Joe DeSantis’s Stags in a close one.
First broadcast(for WHUS): Dec 8, ‘79 vs Seton Hall. Our first Big East game. We easily beat Dan Callandrillo’s Pirates. Later that season I also did the NIT loss to St. Peter’s, which was notable because one of the Peacocks was Kevin Bannon. He later became coach at Rider and nearly coached the Broncs to a stunning upset against us in the first round of the ‘94 NCAAs.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
December 6, 1994 at Conte Forum.

BC sold Big East Souvenirs, not just there own. I had not yet been accepted to UConn at that point, but I bought my first UConn cap (still have it) and wore it, more or less, every day for the rest of the school year. I wore it pretty much through my first semester at UConn the following fall as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure the first game I saw on TV, but the first game I went to was January 1989 against Nova. UConn won by 2. We were in one of the end zones, so to speak, at the Civic Center and clearly saw that Murray Williams stepped out of bounds as he ran down court with the ball for the winning layup as time expired. No call. Hysterical!

Favorite game I attended ? Probably nostalgia more than anything, but the 1997 NIT win at home over Nebraska was electric. After the disappointments of 94, 95, and 96 when they had so much promise, then the down season in 1997, the crowd wanted so badly to get behind another winning team.

Reaction Score
These are some great stories. Love this thread!

I remember going to one of UConn's tune-up games at the Civic Center in 2003. I think I went to a women's game that year too. Both those teams would win championships! Funny thing is I mostly remember just being bored haha. I lived and breathed baseball when I was 9. Jeter was my hero.

The first game I can remember watching (on TV) and feeling real emotion was the 2006 Elite Eight loss to Mason... The first team that I was truly invested in was the underachieving 07-08 squad, and 2009 was the first year I counted down the days between games.

Reaction Score
The Fieldhouse. I had absolutely no idea who they were playing, or even that a game was happening. I walked in after my daily racquetball game after classes. I was hooked. Little did I know that I was watching Corney Thompson. It was a great day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was about 8 or 9 and have no memories of the game against UMass other than my dad was in awe of the kid on UMass later known as Dr J

Reaction Score
First live game was against Stony Brook when Rudy Gay had that dunk.

Reaction Score
Most of the games in those days were only on WTIC radio, with George Ehrlich. We spent many cold winter nights watching or listening to those games.

Stop - Pop - Swish

George Ehrlich was the Joe D of the 1960's and painted a great verbal picture of the action. Listening to games on AM radio was the only regular option. Only 3 tv channels at the time, (abc ch 8) (nbc ch 30) (cbs ch 3) and half the time you had to hold the rabbit ears antenna to get those. Most telecasts black & white and color TV's were just appearing. Listened to all the Holowaty - Ritter - Hesford - Penders - Wes B games, then Bill Corley. I have a vague recollection of Wes being in the hunt for NCAA scoring title vs maybe Rick Mount from Purdue and perhaps a Rutgers player? For me that was high school and my love of the team was a significant reason I ended up at UConn.

Reaction Score
Mine was when my Dad took me out to Storrs for a game in the Fieldhouse in 1967 against New Hampshire. We sat 2 rows from the green floor behind the UNH bench. I was 9. Wes put up a big number with mostly long range J's. I think he hit for 40. I kept the program for a long time but it is gone now. Spent many afternoons after school being Wes in the driveway. In college we would go early to sit under the UCONN basket for the first half and watch Tony Hanson come out and go through his shooting warm up routine. There is a reason he made shots in the game. He still is one of the best baseline players UCONN ever had. We had Whelton, Abro, Jeff Carr, Al Weston, Jeff Thomas in 1975. In 78 Corny and Mike McKay showed up and the rest is history. I have always been thankful Corny chose UCONN. He was the first big one. Huge boost to the program. Then came Earl Kelly who kept us alive till JC and Chris Smith arrived.

Reaction Score
Early 70's...Field house with my Dad seeing Joey Whelton play....family friend. Don't remember the opponent.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Had to look it up, UConn vs. Yale, December 1978 New Haven Coliseum. I was nine. UConn lost 92-78. Program has come a long way.
The Coliseum games were fun. I remember Cuse game there around that time where my friend pushed the spongy orange mascot. It got ugly.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
That was a heck of a game. Too bad the Morris Mountain never played that well again.
I think you mean the ‘81 game vs ‘Cuse at New Haven. We throttled them.
Aleksinas wasn’t with UConn until 80-81.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom