Your First UConn Game In Person | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Your First UConn Game In Person

Reaction Score
December 29, 1986 Connecticut Mutual Classic vs University of Hartford at the Hartford Civic Center. Jim Calhoun's 1st year we lost 49-48. Fan since 1974 during the Tony Hanson, Al Weston, John Thomas years. Many a nights listening on the am radio before they were on tv.

Reaction Score
December 29, 1986 Connecticut Mutual Classic vs University of Hartford at the Hartford Civic Center. Jim Calhoun's 1st year we lost 49-48. Fan since 1974 during the Tony Hanson, Al Weston, John Thomas years. Many a nights listening on the am radio before they were on tv.
We had a pretty good player defect from UConn to U-Ha who beat us in that game. Can't remember his name, though (now a common occurrence with me :oops: ).

EDIT: Anthony Moye. Google is your friend.

Reaction Score
We had a pretty good player defect from UConn to U-Ha who beat us in that game. Can't remember his name, though (now a common occurrence with me :oops: ).

EDIT: Anthony Moye. Google is your friend.
He certainly haunted us that game.

Gotta love Google ;)

Reaction Score
84-85 season at the Field House. I thought it was Seton Hall but I can't remember. I checked sports-reference.com but it has all home games listed at HCC so that can't be correct. I remember frustration in the day because channel 8 would promote itself as home of UCONN basketball, yet it wouldn't broadcast UCONN vs Providence on our dorm lounge tv.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
OMG....it was Jan, 1997.... you picked a good one. One of the craziest crowds ever at the HCC. Amazing game. Our young pups hung in until the very end.

I was 10 at the time. My first UConn memory is unfortunately Donyell missing those free throws against Florida. If I was not already hooked from the Ray Allen/Doron Sheffer team seeing that game against Kansas live definitely did it. Loss and all.

Reaction Score
Feb 21,1967 vs New Hampshire. Bialasuknia scored 42. I was 11 and thought the Field House was the coolest place ever.
Was at that game also. UConn would fast break and give the ball to Wes from about 20-25 feet. Money.

Reaction Score
Hey guys, In the Field House, late '66. Was being recruited by the Huskies' Coach Fred Shabel. Had a very fun, memorable weekend hanging up in the crazy Frats with Wes & my old NY friend Bill Corley, both long deceased now. Huskies beat UVA by 21. I had a great time! All those recruiting trips were a blast really!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hey guys, In the Field House, late '66. Was being recruited by the Huskies' Coach Fred Shabel. Had a very fun, memorable weekend hanging up in the crazy Frats with Wes & my old NY friend Bill Corley, both long deceased now. Huskies beat UVA by 21. I had a great time! All those recruiting trips were a blast really!
Where'd you end up playing?

Reaction Score
I don't remember. Some early season game against Central or someone like that. When I was in my mid teens. Early 90s. Nothing remarkable

Reaction Score
January or February of 1981. Corny Thompson era. I was a senior at Trinity, by chance had just been accepted into UConn law and went to the Civic Center on a Saturday afternoon to see them beat St. Johns on the ECAC Game of the Week, well before every game was on cable, on a Corny Thompson elbow jumper at the buzzer. The win was either our first after moving into the Top 25 or moved us into the Top 25. But then the season turned into disappointment.

Also my first game. I was in 6th grade. Yeah, I remembered that game was on NBC.

That game in '81 was the last time we would beat St John's for another eight years.

Reaction Score
played
Where'd you end up playing?
Played at Tulane a coupla years in the late 60's. Two knee operations killed my hops & lateral D - but I always could shoot. Then back home to NYU (already de-emphasizing D1 sports & soon to drop hoops in '71). Loved playing for Lou Rossini & also the Violets' many home games in MSG in front of family & friends (announcer John Condon introducing me was a thrill). Then 4 years of pro ball in South Eastern France (Monaco Red). French girls, American hoopsters 60's? Nuff sed?

Went to grad school up at Storrs (also at Yale) & played intramural on the Field House practice courts. Tony Hanson & I used to play one on one for fun often in those days - lotsa shooting contests. Also a kid named DeCicco who transferred to star at Bridgeport in the early 70's. Memories are flowin' now. Ha!

I played full court hoops regularly in decent leagues until I was 54. (nine knee operations, two spinal, plus knee & hip replacements - all badges of honor to play the game we love "forever," right?) I swim now! Ha!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
December 1960 in the old Field House vs AIC. AIC had a center named Calhoun. Anyone know what happened to him?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom