You have got to be kidding me | The Boneyard

You have got to be kidding me

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I cant believe it but looking back I guess I can expect it. UConn lost the past two seasons in the NCAA's. Saniya driving the lane get knocked and no call and if she had gone to the line for 2 and made one the game is pretty much over. Then last season UConn outscores ND from the field and looses when ND goes to the line 20 times more and wins in OT. No w this. You have got to be kidding me. To top it off Tenn makes the tourney with a loosing record in their conference and they dug up all kinds of excuses to put them in????????? Give somebody else a chance. You can tell Im pissed. Please excuse the language. This is a slap in the face for the team that has put the new WCBB on the map. Just like a few years ago when Penn St was a one seed and DT and UConn blew them out we are sucker punched again. I am not happy at all. This is a disgrace to a team and a coaching staff that has set the bar at another level. With 3 AA's playing and two top HS POY and with only 2 losses and with a better SOS then one other 1 seed UConn of all teams is ranked 2. I need to be put on the NCAA selection committee. Not only me but we need to get some other people on there. UConn of all teams deserves and has earned a one seed. You know what it wont matter. UConn barring injuries and foul trouble will win the regionals . I would like to say barring foul trouble on both sides meaning to many fouls called on UConn and no calls on their opponents. I saw it last season and its become a novelty against ND over the years. Lets have a level playing field. Ive said enough for today. I am not happy when my team gets slapped in the face. Be Fair.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony
I'm trying to understand what you're so upset about.
Is it the #2 designation? If so...not such a big deal.
But if it's the really rough path to the final-4...here I agree.
Few gimme's, a real problematic route onwards.
If we win this season, we will surely deserve it.
Funny that UTenn is on our side of the bracket.
To bad that's it's unlikely that they get out of the first round.

Reaction Score
If the committee firmly believed that Louisville was above UConn, geographically they get placed in Albany. The committee could have put Mississippi State in Albany as a 2 and shipped UConn out west. That would’ve ticked people off. I truly believe Uconn was the #4 overall team and the committee dropped them to #5 for geography. I am ok with that. If they kept us as a one with Louisville going out west we’d be facing Mississippi state. We avoid having Mississippi state as our 2 seed, stay close to home, and play the one seed I feel we match up best with. The number two designation more so highlights the emphasis on geography over everything else.

Time to cross our fingers and root for Stanford and Oregon St to help make things easier.

Reaction Score
That's a good and fair rant, Tonyc. Can't figure how the committee gets to this conclusion. Maybe they want to grab some headlines, or maybe they want to get into Geno's head because they would rather not have UConn win again. But let's play the games, and if we win it all, then we can tell the committee where to stick their #2 seed!
Two other comments:
  • To all the commenters on these boards or twitter or anywhere else who are saying, "yeah, I can agree because of the AAC or the RPI" or whatever, maybe a small few of you actually expected this. But most of you are phoney, because if you had been asked yesterday if UConn would be a #2 seed, you know you would have said "Not a chance!"
  • Tony, I think UConn had the best team on paper in the last two Final Fours, and I still feel bad for Kia and Gabby that they didn't win those tournaments. Maybe Saniya was fouled and maybe ND got to the line more than they deserved. But despite being the best team, you have to play your best and nothing less at the Final Four. UConn was not at their best vs. ND, and they were far from their best vs. Miss St.

Reaction Score
Geno must be livid knowing that the selection committee comprised of these irrelevant school administrators are deciding that his team's resume doesn't match their inconsistent criteria for a #1 seed:
Rhonda Lundin Bennett Committee chair senior woman administrator, University of Nevada, Reno
Ceal Barry, deputy athletics director, University of Colorado, Boulder
Ken Bothof, director of athletics, Northern Kentucky University
DeJuena Chizer, senior associate athletics director/SWA, University of Houston
Leslie Claybrook, assistant commissioner, Southeastern Conference
Nina King, senior deputy director of athletics, Duke University
Tamica Smith Jones, director of athletics, University of California, Riverside
Teresa Phillips, director of athletics, Tennessee State University
Deborah Richardson, senior associate commissioner, Atlantic 10 Conference
Diane C. Turnham, senior associate athletics director, Middle Tennessee State University

Reaction Score
Some BY'ers are pretty upset that UCONN didn't get a #1 seed. I'm struggling to see how that ). Oregon too, as a #2 seed also gets this same advantage, which I know their coach is thrilled about (and so are their fans).

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Some BY'ers are pretty upset that UCONN didn't get a #1 seed. I'm struggling to see how that ). Oregon too, as a #2 seed also gets this same advantage, which I know their coach is thrilled about (and so are their fans).
Good Luck to the Beavers. I have been to Gill twice and loved the atmosphere there.

Reaction Score
I am actually OK with UCONN's seeding & opponents, and I am delighted they are in Albany. But like many fans, I am perplexed by the inconsistent, erratic explanation for UCONN dropping from a #1 seed to a #2 seed.

Last edited:

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I am a Stanford fan for the foreseeable future. (while still rooting for UCONN, of course)

To heck with the Tara/Geno coaching victories tracking. Go Stanford! Exactly Four more wins, please!

Only three more wins: bad!

Five more wins: worse!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't care a whit. UConn is going to have to beat these teams anyway. To me seeding doesn't matter, although I so relish a chance to beat Louisville after that regular season debacle.

Reaction Score
Hold up. Everyone knows Saniya was not fouled. It was a DUMB play on her part.
I thought it as a dumb play as well but after re-watching several games from that season over a period of months following that game .... that play was repeated several times in those games. It was a designed play for Saniya that had been run many times in other games.

What was dumb was the coaches did not bang it into their heads that even if they ran the shot clock out there would have been insufficient time for MState to score and there would be another overtime. What was dumb is the coaches did not drill it into their heads the worst case scenario was to put up a shot with time left on the clock.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This was a slap at the AAC, and UConn for being in the league. It won’t be better in your lifetime, or if schools drop sports... whichever comes first.

Anyone who’s fine with UConn’s seeding just is not paying attention.

The message today is that if UConn wants to be comfortable that they’re a one seed, they need to go undefeated.

It took a while for the selection committees to feel comfortable relegating UConn because of the American, but now that the seal is broken, it’ll be the rule.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Anyone who’s fine with UConn’s seeding just is not paying attention.

The message today is that if UConn wants to be comfortable that they’re a one seed, they need to go undefeated.

It took a while for the selection committees to feel comfortable relegating UConn because of the American, but now that the seal is broken, it’ll be the rule.
This isn't the message at all.

UConn's schedule had almost all of its eggs in a very small basket consisting of 3 games. They lost 2 of those 3 games and had very little else to fall back on.

UConn went from having the #1 nonconference SOS the past 3 years to #31 this year. That matters.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This isn't the message at all.

UConn's schedule had almost all of its eggs in a very small basket consisting of 3 games. They lost 2 of those 3 games and had very little else to fall back on.

UConn went from having the #1 nonconference SOS the past 3 years to #31 this year. That matters.

Sweet Jesus.

This is so far off that I don’t think there’s a map to get you back to right.

They played three #1 seeds on the road....and they beat one of them. They also played Ohio State, Vandy, Old Miss, St. John’s, Purdue, DePaul, California, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Louisville.

They had one single opponent that was not from a power conference.

Can Louisville say that?

No. No one schedules OOC games like UConn does.

Reaction Score
I thought it as a dumb play as well but after re-watching several games from that season over a period of months following that game .... that play was repeated several times in those games. It was a designed play for Saniya that had been run many times in other games.

What was dumb was the coaches did not bang it into their heads that even if they ran the shot clock out there would have been insufficient time for MState to score and there would be another overtime. What was dumb is the coaches did not drill it into their heads the worst case scenario was to put up a shot with time left on the clock.

this was a season long problem... while watching all the games, I was continually shaking my head at how many end of quarter situations they shot with too much time left. It never hurt them during the regular season, but I kept thinking I hope this doesn't come back to bite them in the tournament... unfortunately, it did...

Reaction Score
As I see it, as long as -

The assistant commissioner of the southeastern conference
The director of athletics of tennessee state university
The sr assoc athletic director of middle tennessee st univ
The sr deputy director of athletics of duke university
and probably
The director of athletics of northern kentucky university

continue to be four or five of the ten members of this committee, UConn will never be treated equally.

By the way, all of the above titles were put in lower case on purpose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom