You guys should all go back and watch the Cuse-UConn game from the BET | The Boneyard

You guys should all go back and watch the Cuse-UConn game from the BET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the days before the huge game on Saturday, I decided it would be a good idea to watch this instant classic once again to get myself in the right mindset. A couple of things stuck out:

1. This has to be considered one of the best games in BET history. UConn and Syracuse shot 38 and 37% respectively, but I thought the quality of the game was better than those numbers indicated. In the first half Tyler Olander came out of nowhere to give UConn seven points off the bench. He hit the glass hard, made agressive moves to the basket, and shot with confidence. I'm not sure if Rick Jackson made a mean joke about his mom or what, because the way he played in this game is unlike any other game I've watched him play in his two years here. He had a certain edge to him that I hope he brings on Saturday.

After a sloppy first half, the second half was one for the ages. Both teams hit a ton of shots, the pace of the game was cranked up, the crowd was into it, and Kemba was trading jabs with Kris Joseph and Scoop Jardine. Once UConn built a six point lead with about fifty seconds left, the game looked to be over, before Cuse's press gave UConn fits, Jardine banked a three, Napier missed the front end of a one and one, Jardine hit another three, and Beverly threw the ball away because Cuse doubled Kemba on the inbounds. It was a crazy ending.

In the overtime guys just looked gassed out there. Kemba looked like he was about to pass out on free throws before suddenly finding another gear, Syracuse couldn't hit a free throw, and the only kid who played with any sort of composure was Lamb, who calmly drained two floaters within a minute to ice the game for UConn.

2. At times in the second half, UConn tore the zone to shreds. They would have Okwandu set a ball screen for Kemba, dump the ball to Lamb at the foul line, and then Lamb would either pass it out to the wing, take the ten footer, or dump it to Olander on the baseline. Really, I'm not sure why UConn does not use Lamb at the foul line more often this season, because he's long, he's a decent enough decision maker, and obviously he's money with that ten footer, which causes the zone to extend out further than they want to, leaving the wing and the baseline open.

Secondly, look at the screens Okwandu sets, and look at the way Kemba uses the screens. Kemba could basically get by the first defender in the zone any time he wanted to, much because of his advanced utilization of screens and Okwandu's advanced understanding of how to set one properly. Kids like Drummond need to take note.

3. Lastly, this game will remind you just how f'in good Kemba was. I can't explain in words how f'in good that performance was, so I'll just tell you that the game Kemba played against Cuse was one of the best (If not the best) individual performances I've EVER seen at the college level.

The kid had 33 points (9/18 from the floor, 13/14 from the line), 5 assists, 12 rebounds, and 6 steals, while playing every single minute of the game just a day after pistol whipping #4 Pittsburgh.

I'll say this: UConn has had a lot of really, really good players come through the program over the years, and none of them came close to effecting a game the way Kemba on this particular night. Often forgotten is the exceptional defender Kemba was, and this game was no exception. He shut down his man at the top of the defense, rotating between Jardine and Waiters, he consistently slid on help side defense to either strip the ball or contest a shot, he barked out signals on defense all night long (which is absolutely crucial to such a young team), forced his teammates to rotate and hedge properly on screens, and singled handedly turned UConn into the best defensive team in the nation.

I'm not exaggerating when I say every single lose ball that was available during that game was scooped up by Kemba. UConn outrebounded Syracuse 45-37 simply because Kemba wanted the ball more than anyone else, even at a generous 6'1. His instincts, tenacity, and toughness are to be marveled at like a famous Picasso painting.

As I've said before, UConn has had many great players play here, even Hall of Famers. Kemba was just a little bit better than all of them during this season, and for the most part, that's why his departure for the NBA has caused so much damage. We, as UConn fans, are truly blessed to have watched a player such as Kemba Walker. He's one of those guys who comes around maybe once every 20 years if you're lucky.

Reaction Score
And here I thought you were talking about the 6-OT game....

Reaction Score
2. At times in the second half, UConn tore the zone to shreds. They would have Okwandu set a ball screen for Kemba, dump the ball to Lamb at the foul line, and then Lamb would either pass it out to the wing, take the ten footer, or dump it to Olander on the baseline. Really, I'm not sure why UConn does not use Lamb at the foul line more often this season, because he's long, he's a decent enough decision maker, and obviously he's money with that ten footer, which causes the zone to extend out further than they want to, leaving the wing and the baseline open.

I've been begging for this all season!!!! Then in the Marquette game, he gets the ball at the foul line, wide open, and he throws a crazy pass to the corner that gets picked off. What a year.

Reaction Score
Nice post. Would love to watch that game again. Me and my brother were watching it at a fairly noisy bar and there was the nicest Cuse fan next to me, but I wasn't in the mood to make friends that night.

The main thing I remember is that I thought the game was won when they were up 6 with 50 seconds to go.

After Jardine hit that 3 and the game went into OT, I didn't think uconn stood a chance- just thought they were spent. I was thinking, 'Another damn loss to Cuse in this tournament.'

I remember Kemba being awesome, but not in the detail as you described it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
we need boat and bazz on the perimeter and lamb flashing with ao/ad/scoe and to/ad/scoe flattening the zone

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
If I recall, Kemba led all players on either team in points, rebounds, assists and steals. That's pretty good.

Reaction Score
And here I thought you were talking about the 6-OT game....

Comeon...you know I would never encourage you to watch a game UConn lost. Experiencing that type of pain one time is bad enough.

Reaction Score
Nice post. Would love to watch that game again. Me and my brother were watching it at a fairly noisy bar and there was the nicest Cuse fan next to me, but I wasn't in the mood to make friends that night.

The main thing I remember is that I thought the game was won when they were up 6 with 50 seconds to go.

After Jardine hit that 3 and the game went into OT, I didn't think uconn stood a chance- just thought they were spent. I was thinking, 'Another damn loss to Cuse in this tournament.'

I remember Kemba being awesome, but not in the detail as you described it.

That's the crazy thing about how good Kemba was. UConn fans know he was really, really good, but you don't understand just how good until you watch the tape of certain games again. At times he would just will UConn to victory like Jordan willing an aging Bulls team through the 1998 playoffs. The thought of losing was out of the question for him. Very, very few basketball players possess the endurance that Kemba displayed last season. Not only would he play every minute of every game for five days in a row against four of the best teams in the country, but he would not take a single possesion off during any of those games.

Two examples of this unparalled will to win that I would point to are the South Florida game and the Seton Hall game. UConn struggled mightily in those games, until Kemba decided, " it, I'm just going to put my head down and get to the line, play swarming defense, and come up with every loose ball".

It's not as glamerous as his shot to beat Pittsburgh, but this is the stuff I'll always remember when I reflect on the Kemba era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom