You guys know there's a game coming up... | The Boneyard

You guys know there's a game coming up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it is only DePaul, but I look here and see threads on pizza, restaurants, and all sorts of other nonsense but nothing about our opponent. Have to admit I haven't followed DePaul at all this year, but it seems they are somewhat improved. Is that correct? Other than Melvin, do they have anybody to watch? or did I make an error and log onto the food network message board?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Love the focus scooter.

I think if we rebound we win.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll be there. But Ollie got his extension, what else is there?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't know anything about DePaul other than Melvin, and I only know of him because of our history with him.

As for the good guys, I'm predicting a big game for DD. And I'll be looking for better flow from the Bazz/Boat tandem, more consistency from Omar, and wondering if Wolfie continues to make his case for more minutes than TO.

caw

Reaction Score
Melvin is very good, shame he didn't come to UConn, though I think Wolf replaced him in that class, so, who knows for this year. I do think Melvin would have been perfect next to Drummond last year, or Harkless. Either one may have been the difference between what happened and a second NCAAT Championship.

Have to wonder what Melvin thinks of his decision, no NCAAT Championship in his first year, no NCAA's in his second, likely none in his third. I can understand Harkless' decision, because he's in the NBA now, but Melvin's? Man what a waste.

Similar with Kris Dunn, being used very poorly right now by PC and PC stinks. When you are a BE team and have a four game losing streak of BC, Brown, Louisville and DePaul, you have to start to question the coaching.

Rant over.

Onto the game:

Well DePaul just bulldozed PC in it's last game. Either DePaul isn't that bad or PC sucks donkey balls even more than thought. Similar makeup to Marquette though with a lot of 6'3-6'5 guards with some beef. They play 9 players over 15 per game. 3 are over 6'8, 4 are 6'3-6'5 and 2 are short.

Melvin will be a tough matchup for Daniels, but somewhat easier than Leslie.
Young is pretty good and will probably have Calhoun on him. Those are the two consistent threats from DePaul and if UConn can defend them well and keep them off the OR then UConn should win, assuming they can break the press.

DePaul still loves to press, so expect to see a lot of it tonight. If UConn can break the press they need to finish. They won't be blocking a ton of shots if UConn can get by the press.

Rebounding, as always, will be important because if they miss they can't get an OR and a quick bucket to set up the press. UConn should be able to break the press but it's always better to take the other team out of what they want to do.

DePaul is actually a worse 3PT shooting team than UConn and also a relatively poor FT shooting team.

They also have TO issues as their PG situation is not great.

Reaction Score
I haven't followed DePaul at all this year, but it seems they are somewhat improved. Is that correct? Other than Melvin, do they have anybody to watch? or did I make an error and log onto the food network message board?

Brandon Young is a solid point guard. At 6-foot-4, he could give Bazz and Boat some trouble with his size. He's averaging just over 16 points and four assists a game this year and has been in double digits every game but one. That said, he was AWFUL in two games against us last year.

caw

Reaction Score
Brandon Young is a solid point guard. At 6-foot-4, he could give Bazz and Boat some trouble with his size. He's averaging just over 16 points and four assists a game this year and has been in double digits every game but one. That said, he was AWFUL in two games against us last year.

I disagree, he is a pretty poor PG, but he would be a fantastic 2G in college.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Now I have a few things to look for. I worry about the lack of size of our guards sometimes trying ot cover 6-3 to 6-5 guys. To some extent they make up for it in quikcness,, but I'm not sure they can always do that.

Reaction Score
I'll be there. But Ollie got his extension, what else is there?

I'll be there as well - yelling & cheering the team on.
There isn't much else....

Is this a must win game?

Yeah - gotta win tonight.
At ND on Sat, and then hosting 'Ville on Monday = won't be easy.

Reaction Score
Good point.

What is the best pizza in Chicago?

Here's one person's list of the top 25 pizzerias in Chicago. Turns out a New Haven style place is ranked #2.

2. PIECE
(NEW HAVEN) When Billy Jacobs opened Piece in 2001, he was told New Haven– style pizza would go over like a lead pepperoni in Deep-Dish Land. Wrong. Piece’s astonishing plain pie (sauce, garlic, Parmesan, and oil on a chewy-crisp, hand-formed crust) replicates New Haven’s legendary Sally’s Apizza without the coal oven (Piece uses a Middleby gas oven). For Jacobs, a Connecticut native whose great-uncle’s produce market was intertwined with Sally’s in the 1940s, the sun still rises and sets in New Haven. “I can confidently say that the third-, fourth-, or even fifth-best pie in New Haven would be the best pie almost anywhere else,” he boasts. And you thought New Yorkers were pizza snobs. 1927 W. NORTH AVE.; 773-772-4422

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/July-2010/Photos-Best-Pizzas-in-Chicago/

Reaction Score
I disagree, he is a pretty poor PG, but he would be a fantastic 2G in college.

Hard to say given the talent he's had around him in his three years at DePaul. Not sure many guards would look good at the point playing two-on-five in Big East games.

Reaction Score
Good point.

What is the best pizza in Chicago?

LOL. I actually had Lou Malnati's when I was over there a few months ago. Delicious but not as good as NH/NY style pizza.

caw

Reaction Score
Hard to say given the talent he's had around him in his three years at DePaul. Not sure many guards would look good at the point playing two-on-five in Big East games.

Fair enough, I just think he would be a fantastic 2G, but will never be a great PG.

Reaction Score
They press the entire game, which should be to our advantage given our 2 point guard lineup. We should get plenty of easy baskets. The question then becomes how many easy baskets do we give them as a result of turning the ball over.

Reaction Score
I don't care if they're improved. They're still Depaul, and I expect to win.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't know anything about DePaul other than Melvin, and I only know of him because of our history with him.

As for the good guys, I'm predicting a big game for DD. And I'll be looking for better flow from the Bazz/Boat tandem, more consistency from Omar, and wondering if Wolfie continues to make his case for more minutes than TO.

Don't know about DD having a big game. Melvin is going to make him spend a lot energy offensively and defensively. If he does have a great day, we win comfortably, as that will mean a whole bunch of other things are going well.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I recall Clahar being quite the defensive pest last year and other than him their guards have a significant size and weight advantage over ours. Inside they don't have a size and weight advantage (not a common occurrence this year) but Melvin, on paper, will have an advantage, at least statistically, over anyone he matches up with. We are doomed, DOOMED for sure!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't know about DD having a big game. Melvin is going to make him spend a lot energy offensively and defensively. If he does have a great day, we win comfortably, as that will mean a whole bunch of other things are going well.
I realize it's his biggest assignment to date, but I am hoping that he has a bit of a fire lit under him now as a result of the last game, Ollie's comments, the scuffle with Boat, etc. In other words, maybe he rises to the occasion. I'm not convinced yet that he doesn't have the potential to be very, very good, and I try to remember that progress with these kids is seldom linear.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
DD has made some very good plays lately...particularly swishing the pull up jumpers from 15 feet and in with a defender right in his face.
Hopefully, he will couple that with the affinity for rebounds seen a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom