You gotta read this article | The Boneyard

You gotta read this article

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great article. I am glad UConn saved one of their best and most aesthetically pleasing offensive games
for our out of state fans to appreciate as well as ESPN2 and that USF competed well. Hope USF does well in the tournament.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Good Read, but how soon are we going to see coaches and fans of other teams complain that everyone is talking about UConn and not their team. Remember Karen Aston in last years Tournament. Yes, I know the solution is for their team to get as good as UConn. However, in the ideal world there would be more then two national stories for this years WBB Season. The two stories are Kelsey Plum and the UConn Women.

I guess I should add Kim Mulkey's comments as another story, but that's not a positive one.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I already forwarded it to not only my UConn homers but the haters I know

Reaction Score
Some years ago "Saturday Night Live" ran a recurring bit after Spain's despot, the seemingly immortal Generalissmo Francisco Franco finally succumbed. "In other news, Francisco Franco is still dead" they announced every week, for months on end.

We appear to have entered that territory. A territory where newscasts conclude with "In other news, UConn won."

Reaction Score
Great article. Yes, Fennelly gets it. But so does Geno. The way he talks about it--of course, he's used to talking about winning streaks--makes it easy for others to write good things about UConn.

Reaction Score
Super story! I'd seen the quote about the dinner before, and reading it for a second time it really sounded like the enormity of the program's success is really beginning to catch up with Geno. Somewhat related, and hopefully years and years down the road, I can't imagine what it's going to be like for his successor. How does anyone successfully follow a legend for whom perfection seems an everyday event?

Reaction Score
Good read! I love his line, "We should have known the Bulls were in real trouble this time around when Geno made sure all his kids were on the plane before it left for Tampa." I also like his appellation "Big Blue Machine". First time I've seen it used for the UConn Women.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Some years ago "Saturday Night Live" ran a recurring bit after Spain's despot, the seemingly immortal Generalissmo Francisco Franco finally succumbed. "In other news, Francisco Franco is still dead" they announced every week, for months on end.

We appear to have entered that territory. A territory where newscasts conclude with "In other news, UConn won."

I very well remember the SNL skits on Franco.

On a serious note related to the topic, one of my uncle's was a Spanish professor at Brown and his wife held the same position at URI. One of Dave's department colleagues was a political refuge who barely escaped Franco's secret police. I remember how bitter Pablo was that at the end, Franco "got to die in his bed rather than in a prison cell".

And thanks Nan for sharing the article - besides obviously agreeing with the tone, I thought it was very well written.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Tony Russo(from the article) said
"When I coached, there was no girls basketball," he said. "I don't know how this happened. But in about 2000, I just got into following Auriemma and the team. I just love the way they play. I think they play the game the way it should be played. They move the ball, they rotate, they play defense, they play together. I just love the way they play."

If you cant see this in watching UConn then perhaps there is something else out there for you. I see it all(most) of the time, that's why I enjoy it.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I love his line, "We should have known the Bulls were in real trouble this time around when Geno made sure all his kids were on the plane before it left for Tampa."

He followed that sentence up with "USF men, take notes."

The back story is that the USF men recently left two players (sleeping) at a Houston airport after a recent loss at Tulsa.

Hate when that happens!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Excellent article! Does anyone know if he is related to the Iowa State coach?

Reaction Score
Tony Russo(from the article) said
"When I coached, there was no girls basketball," he said. "I don't know how this happened. But in about 2000, I just got into following Auriemma and the team. I just love the way they play. I think they play the game the way it should be played. They move the ball, they rotate, they play defense, they play together. I just love the way they play."

If you cant see this in watching UConn then perhaps there is something else out there for you. I see it all(most) of the time, that's why I enjoy it.

This is why I've watched the UConn women for the past 22 years and counting. I was never a basketball fan growing up in fact I hated it. I still hate the NBA and men's college basketball, too much I me mine and not nearly enough we us and ours.

Reaction Score
One thing for certain. Whatever team, whenever that may be, ends up beating UConn will get plenty of attention for themselves. And that will be a good thing for that particular school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom