You Can't Fool The NET. UConn still 4th. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

You Can't Fool The NET. UConn still 4th.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
As with most of the things you post, this is not true. This data is for 1985-2019 and since then the Big Ten is 36-34 which makes them 59.36%

View attachment 96609

The top of the Big Ten is absolutely overrated, but the middle and bubble teams have actually performed pretty well recently. Michigan State and Michigan have both made runs as low seeds recently. I wouldn't say there's a Midwest bias as much as there's just a bias for all P6 teams on the bubble
And how many national championships has the big 10 won in that time span. I will answer that question. One just one national championship since 1990. With all that winning you note that is kind of incredible. Since everything I post is untrue fact check that one. One national championship since 1990. I would say that is an interesting number.

Reaction Score
And how many national championships has the big 10 won in that time span. I will answer that question. One just one national championship since 1990. With all that winning you note that is kind of incredible. Since everything I post is untrue fact check that one. One national championship since 1990. I would say that is an interesting number.
Yes, which is why the conference is incredibly overrated. But there's no bias for Midwest teams because that's where the NCAA HQ is, that's absurd

Reaction Score
it doesn’t really matter though. Purdue clearly would be sent to the Midwest, Houston to the South, and Arizona to the West. As long as we don’t explode, we should be safely in the East.

Although can we request to be sent to the West still? We do pretty well out there…

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Regional bias. Whoever thought of such a horrible thing. Something like that could never exist. So who is overeating them which was my initial premise which you have agreed too. It’s a legitimate question if you agree they are over rated who is over rating them. Could it be the people that rank the teams or just us unedgeumicated casual fans. The spelling error was intentional.

Reaction Score
Opinions and just like the last time you challenged one of my opinions in a forum based mostly on opinions, I produced some facts and you went away. Perhaps why don’t you try having an opinion occasionally rather than trolling and insulting others. Might be good for you.
You’ll have to point me to what you’re talking about with your facts.

Reaction Score
Despite dropping 8 teams into the pool every year on brand mythology and giving the conference the highest odds to win a title, they haven’t because the reality is they aren’t nearly as good a basketball as they think they deserve to be..

Reaction Score
Regional bias. Whoever thought of such a horrible thing. Something like that could never exist. So who is overeating them which was my initial premise which you have agreed too. It’s a legitimate question if you agree they are over rated who is over rating them. Could it be the people that rank the teams or just us unedgeumicated casual fans. The spelling error was intentional.
You thought of that horrible thing, and now you look dumb for saying it. Your initial premise was not that the conference is overrated, you said that the committee is biased towards the Big Ten. But the reality is that they're no less biased towards the Big Ten than the Big 12 or Pac 12 or any other power conference. As is usual with you, you post some nonsense and then move the goalposts when you get called out

Reaction Score
None of this bothers me all that much. We will get at worst, reasonable respect with our seeding for the tournament and from there, it's up to us to perform.

On a side note, I saw a chart that had us with (I believe) nine Q-4 wins (considerably more than those ahead of us). I think we need to cut a couple of those out but I can somewhat understand the thought process at least for this year. With normal seasons for UNC, Gonzaga, Texas and Indiana, we should have had more than sufficient strength of scheduling with an excess of Q-4 games thrown in.
I think all of the major programs need to cut down on the “cupcake” games to help keep college basketball relevant. They are basically exhibitions and no more than 2 are needed.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
You thought of that horrible thing, and now you look dumb for saying it. Your initial premise was not that the conference is overrated, you said that the committee is biased towards the Big Ten. But the reality is that they're no less biased towards the Big Ten than the Big 12 or Pac 12 or any other power conference. As is usual with you, you post some nonsense and then move the goalposts when you get called out
I was being sarcastic I believe in regional bias. I have lived in the southwest, Midwest for 20 years grew up in the northeast and now live in the southeast. I have listened to how the opinions differ from region to region. So with that said and since my premise is absurd who over rates the big 10. I am asking a legitimate question. If a conference is over rated which is the only thing we have agreed on who is mostly responsible for over rating them? And why does it consistently happen. Maybe we won’t win the national championship this year but I like our odds better than all the big10 teams combined.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was being sarcastic I believe in regional bias. I have lived in the southwest, Midwest for 20 years grew up in the northeast and now live in the southeast. I have listened to how the opinions differ from region to region. So with that said and since my premise is absurd who over rates the big 10. I am asking a legitimate question. If a conference is over rated which is the only thing we have agreed on who is mostly responsible for over rating them? And why does it consistently happen. Maybe we won’t win the national championship this year but I like our odds better than all the big10 teams combined.
The general public overrates the conference as a whole at the top. What I'm disagreeing with is you saying the committee has a bias towards the Midwest and giving undeserving bubble teams from the Big Ten more bids

Reaction Score
I don't know if its true anymore. But it always seemed like Duke or UNC would be playing in Greensboro during the NCAA. I would love to see the records of Duke and UNC in the NCAA tornament, in games played in North Carolina.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CFP has the same problem. Q3/Q4 wins don't matter, only losses. I'd like to see Purdue play 20 minutes without Edny.

Reaction Score
CFP has the same problem. Q3/Q4 wins don't matter, only losses. I'd like to see Purdue play 20 minutes without Edny.
Even with Edny , Purdue isn’t exactly overwhelming Ohio State at halftime.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
The general public overrates the conference as a whole at the top. What I'm disagreeing with is you saying the committee has a bias towards the Midwest and giving undeserving bubble teams from the Big Ten more bids

Good to see that the tone is more of a debate than an insult. I was also thinking about your numbers. Which I thank you for researching. I wonder if there is a way to research wins related to bids. The data you provided is interesting but it got me thinking why I would have had such an opinion on how unsuccessful the big10 was in the tournament. My theory is that if you break down wins by bids it would be a clearer indicator of tournament success. And it more than likely still illustrate that my that my opinion was wrong and that the big10 success in the tourney was similar to other conferences. As @giddyup noted it seems they get 8 bids a year. So I guess the real metric is what are they doing with those bids on a micro level. You seem good with stats perhaps you know if that data is out there but I will look.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you look at our analytic ratings since we’ve been fully healthy, they match the “eye test” 100%.

Well look at the #3 team - Iowa State
Laughing my arse off - when Houston go beat by ISU at ISU, I was told by so many here how I was crazy thinking that ISU was a good team and how Houston was so overrated.

Reaction Score
Good to see that the tone is more of a debate than an insult. I was also thinking about your numbers. Which I thank you for researching. I wonder if there is a way to research wins related to bids. The data you provided is interesting but it got me thinking why I would have had such an opinion on how unsuccessful the big10 was in the tournament. My theory is that if you break down wins by bids it would be a clearer indicator of tournament success. And it more than likely still illustrate that my that my opinion was wrong and that the big10 success in the tourney was similar to other conferences. As @giddyup noted it seems they get 8 bids a year. So I guess the real metric is what are they doing with those bids on a micro level. You seem good with stats perhaps you know if that data is out there but I will look.
The info is out there, though a bit spotty to find. I know in 2022 they were 8-9 and expected record based on seed was 16-9. But I don't know of anywhere to find it on a macro level without looking year by year

Reaction Score
Sorry for the scrap. My computer tends to push its own buttons.

Here's the rest.

Well, we're still 4th this morning in the NET rankings. As far as yesterday's 28-point romp over a top Quad1 opponent, move along, nothing to see here.

Those relying on the eye test to rank teams are urged to get the eyes examined.

Of course, the game was at Gampel, or at least as far as the NET is concerned, it was. Home court is home court.

Except when you travel 3000 miles to Seattle to beat the pants off a Quad 1 Gonzaga team. Then home court for the opponent becomes a neutral court.

Oh, well.
Complaining about playing 1 game in Seattle as neutral when they had 3 at MSG as neutral?

Please.

Reaction Score
Yep, the top 4 in the NET didn't change today either. Maybe Purdue still holds the number 1 overall seed.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Nothing too see here. The NET ranking are a very non biased ranking system. Purdue and Houston and Arizona are just better than us. Ask the experts who put this cr** together and publish it.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't know if its true anymore. But it always seemed like Duke or UNC would be playing in Greensboro during the NCAA. I would love to see the records of Duke and UNC in the NCAA tornament, in games played in North Carolina.

There was a stretch of years where they played at least two tournament games a year in NC. Sometimes 4

I think one season Duke didn't leave NC until the Final Four. The ACC Tournament, first two rounds and Sweet 16 / Elite 8 were all played in their home state

KU gets a lot of home games as well

UConn, on the other hand, played more games in the opposing team's state than anyone

Ohio St
Florida
UCLA
NC
TX
George Mason
Mich St (OK, this was in the FF)

And we lost to MIss St on a court they just won the SEC Tournament Title on

PS: This is off the top of my head

Reaction Score
As with most of the things you post, this is not true. This data is for 1985-2019 and since then the Big Ten is 36-34 which makes them 59.36%

View attachment 96609

The top of the Big Ten is absolutely overrated, but the middle and bubble teams have actually performed pretty well recently. Michigan State and Michigan have both made runs as low seeds recently. I wouldn't say there's a Midwest bias as much as there's just a bias for all P6 teams on the bubble
American...11-8. Kind of funny we have well over half of that conference's tourney wins

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
All computer rankings are based on the metrics/ algorithms they set up. Remember when none of this existed and it was the "eye test." OH NO!!!!!!!! That's just too subjective we were told. So now it's a computer program generated by humans who decide what's important. Just fine for discussion/ debate. Nothing more. Same as the weekly polls.

Bottom line - UConn, barring a total collapse, will be a number 1 seed in the tourney. Then it is a simple process, win 6 games in a row and you are the National Champion.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
All computer rankings are based on the metrics/ algorithms they set up. Remember when none of this existed and it was the "eye test." OH NO!!!!!!!! That's just too subjective we were told. So now it's a computer program generated by humans who decide what's important. Just fine for discussion/ debate. Nothing more. Same as the weekly polls.

Bottom line - UConn, barring a total collapse, will be a number 1 seed in the tourney. Then it is a simple process, win 6 games in a row and you are the National Champion.

The values assigned to the algorithms are still subjectively decided by humans. There is zero difference between a computer poll and an eye test for validity or truth.
You just substitute direct eye contact for a program which tells a computer to compile a list based on categories and values you assign to those categories.

Reaction Score

View attachment 96609

lol and of the AAC's record, we have 7 of those wins, to only 1 loss

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom