"You can't accept losing. The minute you accept losing, it's easier to lose again... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"You can't accept losing. The minute you accept losing, it's easier to lose again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The offensive line is atrocious. TJ can't be blamed for that and he can't make miracles happen. It is tough to game plan for an FCS opponent when you are unaware that your opponent will push your BCS line around like rag dolls. Strategy probably included trying to run the ball and use short passes to take advantage of our size and strength in order to get our skill players some in game confidence. When he realized that we couldn't provide basic pass protection his hands were tied.

As far as what he shows that warrants him being named interim coach ASAP:

Energy, enthusiasm, hands on coaching, recent success on some level, ability to relate to young people, willingness to talk to a reporter about the loss and face the fans---and more than anything else--- providing some reason for the fans to have hope for next week.

I was about to post something along these lines but have nothing to add to what you so eloquently wrote other than Weist warrants being named interim coach because it guarantees that GDL and PP are no longer tied to the program. I think his energy, enthusiasm, resume, and accountability would inspire the team to play hard for him and that could translate into wins and saving the season. The unit that he is responsible for, the WRs, had the best performance against Towson by far (not including our punter).

Instead of asking what warrants TJ Weist being named Interim, the question should be: what warrants PP and GDL to be retained any longer? The team was blown out by FCS Towson, the coaches were outcoached and made the same coaching mistakes (poor clock management, no/awful in-game adjustments, and a ton of mistakes in key moments of the game) and the players looked like they gave up. And we were only in week 1 playing against the weakest opponent on our 2013 schedule.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You don't think he would have dropped a hint or two in the interview if his play calling was being overruled? It's his reputation and future opportunities on the line.

I don't.

Football players (and later coaches, almost all of whom had been players before coaching) are trained to be good soldiers. Follow orders, keep in lock step, etc., etc. Yes there is the occasional star with the huge ego who craves attention wants to do things his way, regardless of what the coach says but they are rare and almost never end up as coaches once their playing career ends.

Reaction Score
I don't.

Football players (and later coaches, almost all of whom had been players before coaching) are trained to be good soldiers. Follow orders, keep in lock step, etc., etc. Yes there is the occasional star with the huge ego who craves attention wants to do things his way, regardless of what the coach says but they are rare and almost never end up as coaches once their playing career ends.

I get you point but in listening to TJW since he got here, I have been very impressed by his interview skills and intelligence. He's very well spoken. Also had a chance to speak briefly 1:1 with him @ Signing Event - intense individual. I think if he was getting the short end - you'd know. Pure speculation on my part (but no more or less than most here).

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You could well be correct Medic. One thing I posted shortly after the Towson game is that I believe that TJ is the best WR coach we've ever had but the jury is still out on him as OC. One thing I would prefer is that he not get promoted as interim HC (if P gets canned before the end of the season) as the possibility greatly exists that if he is the OC/WR coach throughout this season, he may well be retained, even if it is only as WR coach, by the new HC (see Moorehead when P took over). If he becomes interim, there is no way the new HC would retain him.

I love the idea of an assistant who can properly develop our wideouts and I love the idea of someone with Ohio connections on the recruiting trail.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thought a new offensive coordiantor would suddenly cure all our problems was kidding himself. (Hi Warde). You see that from tiem tot time, but UConn's problems went way deeper than simply having a lousy coordinator. The offensive line can't block for heaven sakes. It really doesn't matter who calls the plays when the whole program is a dysfunctional mess.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thought a new offensive coordiantor would suddenly cure all our problems was kidding himself. (Hi Warde). You see that from tiem tot time, but UConn's problems went way deeper than simply having a lousy coordinator. The offensive line can't block for heaven sakes. It really doesn't matter who calls the plays when the whole program is a dysfunctional mess.

Don't make statements you are not sure about. Aside from a major mismatch with a starter out and the failure to really do anything in the game plan to adjust for it, our offensive line seemed more active and athletic and was actually engaged more than any time I've seen in recent times when I went back and looked at it again over the weekend. We are deficient in the tailback position (and I love McCombs as a football player, I think he's a fantastic football player, but he's just not the same kind of back we've had in the past), and for some reason, we don't have anybody that the coaches are willing to play over him. I think our QB did not play a good game. We failed to score a TD in close to the goal line, and that's something that we certainly need to improve on in offense, but our offense is making strides, in being able to become the kind of balanced offense that can put up 21 points or more on the board regularly. It's there to see on that film. THe offense did not give up 26 points to Towson through four quarters, but they did fail to put up more than 26 points prior to that true freshmen putting the punt on the ground, and only had 18. That is the single player that I'm most concerned about right now. I hope that kid has icewater in his veins.

The dysfunction in this program, is in communication and attitude and the common denominator is that through two seasons + 1 game since Edsall left, we have had no consistency in establishing an identity as to what kind of team we are, and what our bread and butter is. Edsall established very clearly who we were as a football program, and how we were going to play, and we stuck to it. Pasqualoni has changed OC and DC twice, and we are still looking for the stability in what we are in a football program, and being able to execute it on the field.

We need to get some consistency in how we play this game of football at UCONN back, and we need it back quick. What brand of football that is, will hopefully be a more complete brand of football, that can take us to better places than we were able to reach before.

Reaction Score
Don't make statements you are not sure about. Aside from a major mismatch with a starter out and the failure to really do anything in the game plan to adjust for it, our offensive line seemed more active and athletic and was actually engaged more than any time I've seen in recent times when I went back and looked at it again over the weekend. We are deficient in the tailback position (and I love McCombs as a football player, I think he's a fantastic football player, but he's just not the same kind of back we've had in the past), and for some reason, we don't have anybody that the coaches are willing to play over him. I think our QB did not play a good game. We failed to score a TD in close to the goal line, and that's something that we certainly need to improve on in offense, but our offense is making strides, in being able to become the kind of balanced offense that can put up 21 points or more on the board regularly. It's there to see on that film. THe offense did not give up 26 points to Towson through four quarters, but they did fail to put up more than 26 points prior to that true freshmen putting the punt on the ground, and only had 18. That is the single player that I'm most concerned about right now. I hope that kid has icewater in his veins.

The dysfunction in this program, is in communication and attitude and the common denominator is that through two seasons + 1 game since Edsall left, we have had no consistency in establishing an identity as to what kind of team we are, and what our bread and butter is. Edsall established very clearly who we were as a football program, and how we were going to play, and we stuck to it. Pasqualoni has changed OC and DC twice, and we are still looking for the stability in what we are in a football program, and being able to execute it on the field.

We need to get some consistency in how we play this game of football at UCONN back, and we need it back quick. What brand of football that is, will hopefully be a more complete brand of football, that can take us to better places than we were able to reach before.
Well, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?

Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if Weist and Buggs are retained. Weist may not be OC..but he would be wr coach; as for buggs he may get moved to db coach where he was at Penn State.

After 1 whole game to prove himself, I'm sure TJ would gladly accept a demotion.

Reaction Score
Well, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?

I frigging hated watching that game, live - in person, because we were losing, the stadium atmosphere was dead, and I'm tired of losing. What's your point? I've been clear on this. I'm also a guy that's a glutton for punishment, and I forced myself to actually go back and watch the game again, as you can very easily, with a computer. There is nothing in that game that can't be fixed, and there is nothing in that game to suggest that Towson is a team that we should have had a cakewalk over. The most perplexing thing, is how little control of the line of scrimmage we had on defense, and it makes me worried about where our defense is headed under Hank Hughes. I know what we've got in Deleone at the OL, and there are no surprises there. (Aside from how weak our backup right tackle appears to be in either strength or development, and that the offensive coachign staff, and head coach was unable to make an adjustment to help).

I was very surprised at what the defensive line did - but because of the bias, and emotion around here, and people that don't actually look at the game, that point is being overlooked.

If we can't do a better job of disrupting the flow of an offense at the line of scrimmage than we are able to do against Towson, even if the offense can find a way to be able to put up record numbers since we joined a BCS conference, and we will still lose games.

Reaction Score
I get you point but in listening to TJW since he got here, I have been very impressed by his interview skills and intelligence. He's very well spoken. Also had a chance to speak briefly 1:1 with him @ Signing Event - intense individual. I think if he was getting the short end - you'd know. Pure speculation on my part (but no more or less than most here).

I won't be impressed until I see results on the field. No offense, but none of what you listed above helps in the heat of a game.

This forum like every other forum is always looking for a hero and villain. This guy doesn't have enough of a body of work here to be either yet.

It will be interesting to see how this team fares against some of the weak sister AAC schools.

But personally, I favor replacing the whole staff. Maybe of we get Ambrose he might consider retaining Foley since they have history together.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Are the wide receivers an anomaly to the team or was it good coaching? Maybe TJW could motivate the rest of the team to perform at a higher level if given the chance and not reduced by ineffectiveness of others. It would be career suicide if TJ made public statements his efforts were submarined.

My hope is PP can turn things around. From all reports he's a nice guy. But if not, and I were the AD, I would want to determine if TJ has the ability to take the reigns. I'd still do a national search but it would not hurt to make an early season change if PP's team is as ineffective in the next 2-3 games against Towson.

The switch would have some negative reaction within CT and amongst national coaches. But if the next 2-3 games are repeats of the first game, I believe the vast majority of people would understand the move. It's too early for WM to make the move after one game. He needs to make sure the majority of people who are in PP's inner circle can understand the move.

So hopefully all this wailing by fans doesn't pan out. But if it does, and this season is already a loss, throw TJW into the fire and determine for certain if the ineffectiveness in the offense was his contribution as well as PP and GDL.

Reaction Score
If your argument for TJ as interim HC is "at least he's not....", you're admitting you have no argument for him. You are arguing he should get the job by default. Anyone is entitled to feel that way, but should at least admit their argument is softer than our OL.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
After 1 whole game to prove himself, I'm sure TJ would gladly accept a demotion.

I realize that you were posting out of sarcasm but keep in mind that assistants often get retained at lesser positions when there is a head coaching change. all you need to do is look at Moorehead when P took over.

I'd wager that there is a very strong chance (assuming the new HC wants Weist around as only WR coach) that TJ would take the job if offered.

Reaction Score
Not dismissing some perceived deficiencies in the coaching ranks, I think there MAY be another issue.

More often than not, over the years, if players had other offers, a good portion of them came from the 1-aa ranks, or the sub-major BCS programs. Yes, we won some battles from recognized programs,,,,,but not that many.

I think were're a little too hard on TJ at this point. He was successful at other schools with receivers on those squads........it isn't like PP and WM were disappointed with GDL and decided to replace him with an individual not as good as, or just like GDL.......I think the concept was to look for an upgrade and it was perceived that TJW was that man.

Don't get me wrong.......I love the team and feel the players are trying their best.......just making another observation outside of the general disapproval, disappointment of the coaches.

Maybe the whole coaching house has to be cleaned, but I'm not putting TG in that group......yet.

I admit I could be wrong about TJW......its like a mutual fund......past history of being on the top does not guarrantee future performance. Its just too early for me to join that proclamation when I factor in some of my other observations.

Reaction Score
You don't think he would have dropped a hint or two in the interview if his play calling was being overruled? It's his reputation and future opportunities on the line.

No he wouldn't, if he wants to work again. Coaches don't like assistants that complain to "outsiders."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom