"You can't accept losing. The minute you accept losing, it's easier to lose again... | The Boneyard

"You can't accept losing. The minute you accept losing, it's easier to lose again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if Weist and Buggs are retained. Weist may not be OC..but he would be wr coach; as for buggs he may get moved to db coach where he was at Penn State.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Weist is named interim coach after the Michigan game. Buffalo and South Florida should be winnable, if we can get to 2-3 under Weist maybe something sparks and the season can be salvaged.

P and D have to go.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Hopefully Weist is named interim coach after the Michigan game. Buffalo and South Florida should be winnable, if we can get to 2-3 under Weist maybe the season can be salvaged.

P and D have to go.

Weist's offense was just as offensive as GDL's. He goes too when we do a complete house cleaning.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Because of GDL's offensive line.

Get rid of the two stooges and name Foley the line coach, you can't possibly be giving up on Weist after just 4 quarters.

There were several posts such as yours after GDL's first game calling plays.

Our O was pathetic in a loss to Towson! TJ doesn't have a resume with enough cache to make up for that.

He goes too. Sooner the better.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Reading that article, I thought it funny that it called a coach to task... then I realized that PP GDL were not getting tossed under the bus, the new guy was.

TJW gets blamed by the Courant. amazing.

GDL's line wasn't managed... the WRs were. The plays were innovative, and cohesive with no wildcat. That was a win to me...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if Weist and Buggs are retained. Weist may not be OC..but he would be wr coach; as for buggs he may get moved to db coach where he was at Penn State.

You don't bring in a new coach and force an OC on him.

Look, TJ made the right career move. Moved up the ladder, got a raise- but he had to go all-in, knowing that there was a chance it wouldn't work out because of the failures of his predecessors and everyone coaching around him and it wouldn't last long.

Forget losing on the river...he drew dead with this job.

Reaction Score
Somebody want to explain to me what TJ has shown so far to suggest he would be a good HC (interim or otherwise)? For that matter, what has he shown to suggest he's a good OC?

Reaction Score
He is a good candidate for interim coach because he is not P, GDL or Hank Hughes. TJ is a dime in a pile of pennies.

Doesn't address the issue of what he has shown so far to warrant being a HC.

Reaction Score
Doesn't address the issue of what he has shown so far to warrant being a HC.

It's hard to show a lot in 4 quarters when you don't have a right tackle and your defense has rolled over and died. We did have a solid performance from McCombs and our receivers.

Reaction Score
You sound confident TJ called every single play. Didn't notice the change after the first TD drive?

TJ's resume of recent accomplishments is light years of GDLs.

You don't think he would have dropped a hint or two in the interview if his play calling was being overruled? It's his reputation and future opportunities on the line.

Reaction Score
It's hard to show a lot in 4 quarters when you don't have a right tackle and your defense has rolled over and died. We did have a solid performance from McCombs and our receivers.

We had 6 three and outs, couldn't run for 100 yards, we couldn't hold down the right side of our line because one starter was out and we scored 18 points against an FCS opponent. I'm going on record as saying that TJ had a rough start to his UCONN career and maybe we want to see just a little more before we offer him as a solution as opposed to being part of the problem.

Reaction Score
We had 6 three and outs, couldn't run for 100 yards, we couldn't hold down the right side of our line because one starter was out and we scored 18 points against an FCS opponent. I'm going on record as saying that TJ had a rough start to his UCONN career and maybe we want to see just a little more before we offer him as a solution as opposed to being part of the problem.

Show me the poster who thought he had a great debut. You are arguing with a strawman. I said he is a good candidate for interim because he is not P, GDL, or Hank Hughes, I didn't say he had a great debut.

Reaction Score
The offensive line is atrocious. TJ can't be blamed for that and he can't make miracles happen. It is tough to game plan for an FCS opponent when you are unaware that your opponent will push your BCS line around like rag dolls. Strategy probably included trying to run the ball and use short passes to take advantage of our size and strength in order to get our skill players some in game confidence. When he realized that we couldn't provide basic pass protection his hands were tied.

As far as what he shows that warrants him being named interim coach ASAP:

Energy, enthusiasm, hands on coaching, recent success on some level, ability to relate to young people, willingness to talk to a reporter about the loss and face the fans---and more than anything else--- providing some reason for the fans to have hope for next week.

Reaction Score
We had a bad game. It happens. Maybe it will or won't happen again this year. We seem to think that it will because we have a succession of the same old crap. I'll give my opinion half way through the season.

The thing that caught my eye was that they were struggling to get plays off it seemed. Same as last year. Delay of game penalty killed us. Calling the play, getting up to the line and pulling the trigger seemed tough sledding.

Reaction Score
We had a bad game. It happens. Maybe it will or won't happen again this year. We seem to think that it will because we have a succession of the same old crap. I'll give my opinion half way through the season.

The thing that caught my eye was that they were struggling to get plays off it seemed. Same as last year. Delay of game penalty killed us. Calling the play, getting up to the line and pulling the trigger seemed tough sledding.

Coach P's sideline game is disorganized. It was a recurrent theme the past two seasons. This is a big deal. It's things like this that keep our team from being competitive at an elite level.

Reaction Score
You don't think he would have dropped a hint or two in the interview if his play calling was being overruled? It's his reputation and future opportunities on the line.

The question should have been asked straight-out - Did you call all the plays, or, are you comfortable with the freedom you've been given? As for hints, that last quote is a big one. It went beyond the boilerplate served up by PP. I wouldn't be surprised if PP is a little miffed about it, quite honestly. I'm a little surprised PP permitted the interview - I get that coordinators can speak to the media during bye weeks, but week 2 is a little early.

TJ is treading a fine line - going to the AD after week 1 gets you branded as a troublemaker in the business. I'd love to know if he regrets leaving Cincinnati. But, as suggested after the game, given the problems getting plays in (screen pass, illegal sub at goal line) and that UConn seemed to go away from what was working after the first TD drive, Warde should have had P, TJ & GDL in his office to, ah, clarify the playcalling protocol. I hope Warde is hearing Ps repetition of the "If I had it to do over again" quotes in his sleep.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
TJ is treading a fine line - going to the AD after week 1 gets you branded as a troublemaker in the business.

This is a ridiculous statement. Besides, if the AD isn't going to TJ after week 1 and chatting rather than the other way around, then I would say that we have bigger problems going on than just play-calling...

Reaction Score
This is a ridiculous statement. Besides, if the AD isn't going to TJ after week 1 and chatting rather than the other way around, then I would say that we have bigger problems going on than just play-calling...

You would have no trouble going over your boss's head in your second week? (I know TJ has been here since winter) There is some relationship to the real world of work here. But you and I agree on the second point. If Warde hasn't spoken to P, TJ and GDL all together and individually there is a problem.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You would have no trouble going over your boss's head in your second week? (I know TJ has been here since winter) There is some relationship to the real world of work here. But you and I agree on the second point. If Warde hasn't spoken to P, TJ and GDL all together and individually there is a problem.

At least we agree on the second point, which is a "must be happening or else."

But that brings me back to the first point. I ABSOLUTELY would be going over my boss's head if I felt that the opportunity to perform the sole function that I was brought in to do was not being afforded to me. I have done that in my measly job, so can you imagine if I was being paid 250k a year in "big-boy" college football??? If your boss is hindering your performance that you are accountable for at the end of the day, you had better start talkin' or you had better start packin'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom