You can pretty much stick a fork in the Big East and it's tourney after this year | The Boneyard

You can pretty much stick a fork in the Big East and it's tourney after this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Seriously,
F the Big East, if the left over C7 and whichever sisters of poor they decide to bring along really think the Big East is going to hold any resemblence or cache as it once did, they are all going to be sadly mistaken.

-Butler, albeit having a good coach, will never be a top program, hell they couldn't even win the A-10 reg season title this year.....good on them for makin the F4 2 years in a row, but lets be honest, it required some extreme luck, and they still didn't win a damn thing. Summoning my best DennyGreen voice: "If you want to crown'em, crown'em, but they were who we thought they were!"

- Half the schools are going to be in the mid-west, a no one outside of Gtown has a national following (and their fanbase is suspect at best): no one cares about SH, SJU, Marq, DePaul, Creighton, Butler, Xavier, Providence

- what made the tourney so great was the neighborhood juggernauts: ourselves, Cuse, Gtown, and to a lesser extent in recent years Pitt, Ville, WV, and ND (due to having a well travelled fan base). What's left? Just Gtown, ya think MSG is going to be rockin with Marq vs Creighton, heck I could name dozens of matchups that the avg New Yorker could give two sh!ts about. It won't be the same (not even close). When the contract runs out I'd expect MSG will be looking for greener pastures~ ala ACC

- And lastly, something I feel has been overlooked. The "new" Big East will slowly fall into anonomynimity, why you ask? 4 letters E-S-P-N
Like it or not, the mothership runs sports on tv, always has and always will, they have as much to do with national fandom, as the actual venue itself. Without espn running the show, which Foxsports1 will eventually do for the tourney & reg. season games, it will never get the publicity it has become accustomed to. And I think we are all well aware of how good espn can be about deliberately not talking about or boycotting something they're not involved with. This foxsports1 coverage is an unknown at best, and judging from recent history, no one challenges espn and wins. Tell me, how popular is the CBS sports channel, NBC sports? They're not, and fox will be no different... (Is there any league in college bball, that isn't covered by ESPN? Excluding the tourney of course and rando games CBS does on the wknds)

**The Big East is done ladies & gents, maybe not dead, but something similar to when Superman fell off that horse, may he RIP**

Having said all that, we're in no better shape, however, we still have espn, but our future "sisters" are just as bad, probably a lil worse. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but by the time L'ville leaves, I truly believe there will be more "shake-ups" and we'll find our way to the ACC.. It's only a matter of time, it all hinges on the Maryland suit.

Lastly,
What a slap in the face for the Big East to not let us play the last tourney, and adding insult to injury acting like we never existed in this years program.
In the words of the late great Jim Valvano: "You got a lot, hey va fa napoli, buddy. You got a lot"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32
Top Bottom