Yes she is Sue Bird | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yes she is Sue Bird

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I also like this part:
  1. The Mercury, the no. 1 team in the league this year by the measurement “Teams That Diana Taurasi Plays For,” won the next two games, becoming the first team ever in WNBA history to go down 0-2 and then force a winner-take-all Game 5.

Reaction Score
For someone who is best known as a facilitator--the WNBA career leader in assists by a wide (and growing) margin--Sue can score with the best of them. Her clutch shot-making is legendary.

Sue's no Briana Polido (Polly at the Buzzer), but she is GREAT. Goodness, how I love all the UConn ladies: Dee, Sue, Stewie. So proud.

Reaction Score
Sue mask legend T-shirt, $ 26.

SueBirdLegend_WNBPA_BreakingT_shirt_2048x2048.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I get the sense that a lot of people felt this series was going to about D, her unbelievable will and how she takes over games and series. Sue's amazing 4th quarter was the stuff of legend. All the more so because she had to beat Diana to get the win.

Probably the best WNBA semis of all time.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sue and Stewie beating D in the semis could only be made better by having to face Maya in the finals. Oh well...
They almost faced Rene and Tiff. Maybe a tad less marquee power but still impressive.

After the finals can we have a UConn vs. the rest of the WNBA game? I like our chances, a lot.

CL82

Reaction Score
Who would start for the UConn team? Bird, DT, Maya, Stewie, ??? Maybe Tina at the 5 spot?
That's what I go with. One heck of a starting 5.

Bench choose from: Tiff, Rene, Steph, Kiah, Kia, Gabby, KML, Chong, Azura, Bria, Moriah and Tuck. Probably, Steph, Kiah, Tiff, Rene, Kia, Moriah and Azura.

Who beats that team?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sue and Stewie beating D in the semis could only be made better by having to face Maya in the finals. Oh well...
The Lynx have no business being in the finals, PERIOD. Regardless if Maya was on the team. Sue and Stewie beating D in the finals will only be made better if they win it all. That's it. It doesn't matter who the opponent is. The Mystics are formidable so the series should be good.

CL82

Reaction Score
The Lynx have no business being in the finals, PERIOD. Regardless if Maya was on the team. Sue and Stewie beating D in the finals will only be made better if they win it all. That's it. It doesn't matter who the opponent is. The Mystics are formidable so the series should be good.
I think the point was it would be a another battle of former UConn players who are in the GOAT discussion. That would have been fun.

Nothing beats the Sue/Diana match up, because of the personalities, intensity, history and capabilities. It was enormously entertaining. I not a WNBA fan, but I loved every minute of that series.

CL82

Reaction Score
Just noticed your avatar... love it!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I love this from Voepel's article:

AS A POINT guard and a leader, Bird tries to keep everyone on her team happy, an instinct instilled in her at UConn. Coach Geno Auriemma took her aside as a sophomore and said that from then on, whatever went wrong with the team was her fault. This was after she'd missed most of her first season with the knee injury.

Such is Auriemma's genius at reading people. He made Bird feel ownership for everything because he knew that the more responsibility she had, the more she would thrive.

"Coach Auriemma always says, 'Basketball is not a game of how-to, it's a game of when-to,' " Bird says. "Because you're going to get to some point, like the WNBA, where everybody can do things. But it's the people who know when to do them -- the right time -- that's where great players can separate themselves."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Bird’s never averaged more than 14.7 points per game in her 16-year career, but similar to Magic, that’s by choice. Bird possesses a unique unselfishness and patience that steers her game in the direction of the win and allows her to orchestrate symphonies in which she’s the center of the heart but pumps blood through her teammates. Her impact on third-year superstar Breanna Stewart has been evident. Seattle Stew won the 2018 WNBA MVP award and averaged 21.8 points per game and 8.4 rebounds, but every now and then Bird likes to reminds fools that her bucket game is true to the game. "

Sue Bird Steals The Spotlight In Her Quest For A Third WNBA Title

"Seattle Stew" love it.

But the big truth of the article is in a very short sentence: " Bird executed a five-minute flurry that will live on in WNBA lore."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And the final summary. :)

"The ultimate facilitator. The epitome of unselfishness. Feisty but humble. Words that are lost in this age of max money ballers and “franchise players, but ring loudly when the greatest point guard in WNBA history takes the hardwood"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sue's no Briana Polido (Polly at the Buzzer), but she is GREAT. Goodness, how I love all the UConn ladies: Dee, Sue, Stewie. So proud.

@huskyd UConn has Ballers. Ain't no circumstance in which it is appropriate to refer to our Huskies as "ladies". Now, Tennessee, you can call them anything you want and they think "ladies" is peachy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom