Yes, Seth Davis is still an idiot | The Boneyard

Yes, Seth Davis is still an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/11/17/hoop-thoughts-kansas-kentucky-ohio-state-top-25

This was the line that stood out to me.

" Cassell and freshman Daniel Hamilton had a few nice moments, but they’re a long way from being consistent."

This seems pretty much to be just blabber/space filler to bolster the story line he'd set up about who will be Robin to Boat's Batman. Hamilton has been flat-out good, and by mid-season, he'll be able to carry this team when boat is taking a breather or is in foul trouble. But his line about Kemba had Bazz and Bazz had Boat suggests that what he's really looking for someone to take the lead guard responsibilities and let Boat play off the ball in crunch time. The most likely candidate is TSam.

Reaction Score
He's not necessarily an idiot but he appears to be blind. Either way it affects his credibility.

Reaction Score
[" Cassell and freshman Daniel Hamilton had a few nice moments, but they’re a long way from being consistent."

This seems pretty much to be just blabber/space filler to bolster the story line he'd set up about who will be Robin to Boat's Batman.]
Agreed. They have each played one game of D1 basketball. It takes a tad more than that to assess consistency.

Reaction Score
Seems pretty early(1 game!) to be writing about Cassell and DHam's consistency. Also, as far as being "Robin to Boat as Batman", as good as Bazz was as a freshman as a capable ballhandler to move Kemba off the ball and occasional shotmaker, that 2011 team was mostly Robin by committee. Sometimes it was Bazz, Lamb had a stretch during the regular season when he was very good and kicked it up a notch in the postseason, sometimes it was AO, other nights Roscoe or Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. I would be surprised if Cassell Jr doesn't have a year this year that exceeds what Bazz did his first year, same for DHam.

Reaction Score
Hey is this a good time to bring up when Seth Davis said Florida was playing "grown-man ball" or something about 5 minutes into the Final Four game? That was fun.

"This is a beatdown..."

Reaction Score
His assessment was fine. A lot of unknowns however a lot of potential. True. I am not a big fan of Seth, he did pick against us all six games in the tournament last year. But I see nothing wrong with his write up.

Reaction Score
His assessment was fine. A lot of unknowns however a lot of potential. True. I am not a big fan of Seth, he did pick against us all six games in the tournament last year. But I see nothing wrong with his write up.

Consistent is a terrible word choice, though... You can't be consistent (or inconsistent for that matter) without some games to compare and exhibition games do not count. If they did, then Cassell could easily be construed as the "Robin." If he wanted to based his thoughts on inexperience then his view would have more validity.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
how can one define "consistency" based on one collegiate game? Davis always has and always will be an idiot.

My thoughts exactly. Consistency can't be measured from one game, what a moron.

If you want to include the exhibitions into the equation and you were to ask me who the most consistent players on our team have been outside of Boat, I would probably say Cassell and D-Ham. Cassell most consistent as far as offensive production and D-Ham especially consistent in a variety different phases and just overall sustained positive play (scoring, rebounding, assists, defending).

So I'm not sure what Seth Davis is smoking. He probably just looked at the boxscore and spewed some BS... can't believe guys like him get paid for like this.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seth lost me forever when he called the Squid going zone "a stroke of brilliance." Geez, what would he have said if they actually took the lead?

Reaction Score

The thing wrong with his write up is that it was written by him.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
[" Cassell and freshman Daniel Hamilton had a few nice moments, but they’re a long way from being consistent."

Isn't this is what the regular season is all about and why Ollie is making 3 million?
Consistency.
You take raw talent and refine it and direct it. It is called COACHING.
And we got the best coach.

Reaction Score

It isn't worth reacting or even caring; but saying they are a long way from being consistent after one game...the first games of their careers, is a bit of a reach...don't you agree? It may turn out to be true, but that make this more of a guess than an analysis.

Reaction Score
I dunno ... not that unfair a review. We were sluggish and out of rhythm. Boatwright WAS a real player though; I think I have rarely play that way in a sustained manner. And, you cannot look at Daniel Hamilton and think that he isn't going to be a real solid player at this level. Not too riled up on this Seth Davis missive.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not a fan of Seth's but thought this was a great write up. He gives props to Ryan and says the team has a lot of potential. That doesn't dismiss anyone nor does it hype anyone other than Boatright a senior who has been through the wars.

That's the best case scenario imo, because this team needs a lot of development and not distractions. Let Duke and Kentucky deal with that. What's good for the fans isn't always the best thing for players.

Reaction Score
Count me as also in the camp that thinks that other than the strange use of the word "consistent," there was nothing wrong with his assessment of the game.

Reaction Score
Seth Davis is the worst. It has always been a mystery to me how he got such a prestigous job while being so terrible and offering no insight beyond the obvious.

Reaction Score
I still remember seth davis legit wetting his pants when calipari switched to a 2-3 zone, firmly announcing that it was a genius move...when is fact cal had no choice because his team's pick n roll defense was abominable

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So see he knows a bit about consistency

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Maybe it's just poor writing... He could have accurately stated that they have a ways to go to demonstrate consistency or establish consistency... it's different than calling them inconsistent, which he didn't do.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Seth Davis is a notch below Goodman on the UConn hater-meter

Haters Gon Hate

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Seth Davis is a notch below Goodman on the UConn hater-meter

Haters Gon Hate
a few years ago Doug Gottlieb was enemy #1. I guess our fan base is coming around to him? He seems to have turned his hate towards Kentucky..

Reaction Score
Seth is a little above Goodman I think and a notch below Gottlieb. All good and who cares about Seth. He says good things about us when he has to, sure it's the same with other programs too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom