Years of player eligibility with coming in early | The Boneyard

Years of player eligibility with coming in early

Reaction Score
With players coming in early for strength and conditioning purposes and getting into the flow of team schematics like Alex Karaban and Corey Floyd Jr, does it effect their four year eligibility? I’m assuming they’re Red Shirting for a year from the day they enrolled and have four years of eligibility left. If that’s the case then, if Alex is here for five years per se, does he have to stop playing in the middle of the season in January of 2027?

Reaction Score
Under current rules, as I understand it, he will start next fall with four years to play four years. The fact that he only came to UConn in the second semester doesn’t stop the current season from counting as his full redshirt year.

Reaction Score
With players coming in early for strength and conditioning purposes and getting into the flow of team schematics like Alex Karaban and Corey Floyd Jr, does it effect their four year eligibility? I’m assuming they’re Red Shirting for a year from the day they enrolled and have four years of eligibility left. If that’s the case then, if Alex is here for five years per se, does he have to stop playing in the middle of the season in January of 2027?
The 2021-2022 season is Karaban’s redshirt season. No different than Corey Floyd’s situation. It’s by season, not calendar year.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that, barring medical exemptions, players have 5 seasons to play 4. If you're part of the team (including a non-playing member, i.e. redshirt) for any part of a season, that season counts toward your 5 (and towards your 4, if you enter into at least one contest). So, Karaban and Akok, who enrolled in the middle of a season, were/are officially redshirts who used up their first year of their 5-to-play-4 allotment.

I would call Floyd more of a "traditional" redshirt situation, even though he reclassified to come to UConn early. He enrolled when most other freshmen did, and is spending his entire first season with the team as a redshirt.

Reaction Score
Unless you're get the "Vance Jackson exception" Then you can stay as long as you want

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom