Yahoo: Ugly title game won't be the lasting memory of this NCAA men's tournament | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Yahoo: Ugly title game won't be the lasting memory of this NCAA men's tournament

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The writer is entitled to an opinion. Even if the writer is clueless about the kind of game two really good defensive teams produce. So if UConn makes 3 more bunnies they wind up with over 80. Both teams got to where they were through D. The wide open offenses got bounced in this tournament. Obviously it’s fun to see big underdogs win games or to have a last secobd shot win a game. But that was not futile basketball by a long set shot yesterday. Final score, UConn 2, KState O, UCLA 0, Kansas O, Kentucky 0, Alabama 0, Purdue O, etc. Great basketball.
This reminds me of the picture of Timme with tear stained eyes and cheeks as the "West Coast Offense"
collided with a Big East Freight train. A lot of teams found out what Big East rock fights were in this tournament. They need to get used to it. I like watching SDSU battle. With the portal in full swing I believe a lot of teams took note of Uconn depth and this will be more evident in the future. Hats off for the staff putting these guys together and getting to jell in a very unselfish way.

Reaction Score
Funnily enough I looked up the author on LinkedIn and she’s a Marquette alum lol

I’m unbothered by all the talk, though. Let’s assume that all the worst things everyone is saying is true. Let’s UConn did have a lucky road to the finals, didn’t have to play any good teams (lol), played a boring game, etc etc….at the end of the day UConn is the national champions. That’s all I care about
indeed, so what. we won and thats that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If the writer thought this game was ugly, how would he characterize the 2011 game? I don't care what he thinks. We won this tournament in dominating fashion.
He must not have watched the San Diego State - Creighton game. That was a rock fight that the refs let get out of hand.

At some point you'll need to come clean and admit you didn't look at the author of the article- Nancy Armour.

Reaction Score
While I agree, I'm struggling to find the team UConn would've lost to. Purdue? Houston? Alabama?
Purdue? Not with that backcourt. Alabama? Who we beat by 15 and with us playing even better might have been a worse beating? No. Houston? The same Houston that lost to Alabama? No. I truly believe there was not a team in the tournament that wouldve beat Uconn last night. This team was running on all cylinders and even in a game against one of the best defensive teams in the country we still put up nearly 80 points and won by 17 points. Also our defense for the fourth time in 6 games of the tournament held a team under 60 points. How is no one talking about this in the national media? Ive heard no one mention this. Thats crazy!

Reaction Score
Defensive basketball isn't pretty, SDSU doesn't play pretty, and the zebras calling few fouls in the first half then at least 12 in the first 8 minutes of the second didn't help. At that point it was bound to be a slog.
Too many games, especially in the big east, have a similar foul calling pattern, something the ncaa should address.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I always like to say this about 2011: 4 UConn starters missed the last third of the 1st half when they all got 2 fouls. UConn went scoreless and missed every shot.

In the 2nd half, UConn shot 50% until the final seconds when they heaved one at the end of the shot clock as they killed time.

Butler shot horribly bad. But so did the super efficient offensive teams that preceded them, like Kentucky, Arizona, etc. UConn had a legendary defense that year.

There was a great SI article about our defense that came out the day after the title game.

Reaction Score
That article is total crap. lockdown hard defense was needed to beat SDSU. May not be pretty to him but to us it was a thing of beauty.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
least watched title game ever. this is what happens when two mid major leagues get together. smh.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I thought the refs called a really good game. They were blowing their whistles because SDSU was fouling the hell out of us.
Thank God. Those foul shots were vital.

Reaction Score
If you can’t win ugly you can’t win a championship it’s proven in every single sport just ask the 2007 Pats.

Reaction Score
Whatever you gotta do to sell papers I guess we just keep winning championships.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Defensive basketball isn't pretty, SDSU doesn't play pretty, and the zebras calling few fouls in the first half then at least 12 in the first 8 minutes of the second didn't help. At that point it was bound to be a slog.
Too many games, especially in the big east, have a similar foul calling pattern, something the ncaa should address.
The Big East was always physical and Georgetown seemed to lead the way with this style of play which was always pushing boundaries. They were criticized because they seemed to get away more with this style of play than others. But tough defense was always a trademark of Big East teams. Calhoun came up the "rockfight" description recalling his childhood (lol). As long as the refs are consistent it's hard to cry unfair. They set the tone. The other way to deal with this is be a great free throw shooting team, especially in the clutch. Our guys were great in the title game :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
least watched title game ever. this is what happens when two mid major leagues get together. smh.
Lol, do you know if the Cincinnati players watch the game? I mean, it’s not like they were busy or anything.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the font that says "2023 National Champions" is too big to allow "Yahoo thought the game was ugly" on the banner in Gampel.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase our guy Adama… everyone thinks they have to have a take, they do not.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Great post! that is the best in depth analysis of a defense I have ever seen. I remember Roscoe Smith playing that game with a black eye and soaring up for boards. Thanks for taking the time to find this for us. I especially like the comments from Butler about how it intimidated them and wore them down. Imposing your will and taking them out of their game. Tenacious defense and it wasn't even full court press.

This is a serious look behind the scenes of what Uconn coaches mean by the term "elite defense".

Reaction Score
No one was expecting this game to break viewership records.

It's a 4 vs a 5 seed, no national bandwagon programs playing, and uconn was heavily favored to win by a lot

and, oh yeah, the tip was at 920 on a Monday night. can't make it much harder for casual people to want to watch.

Reaction Score
Mick Cronin will never win anything . He belongs in the ACC with Syracuse or Pitt.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Lol, do you know if the Cincinnati players watch the game? I mean, it’s not like they were busy or anything.
looking at the ratings, I'll make the assumption that (like the rest of the country) -- no, they were probably not watching.

go huskies!

Reaction Score
looking at the ratings, I'll make the assumption that (like the rest of the country) -- no, they were probably not watching.

go huskies!
We’ll make sure to live stream when we put up our banner . Care to check in?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom