Y Z will be the X-, | The Boneyard

Y Z will be the X-,

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's been a very long time since any WBB team won a national championship that didn't start at least one player who was 6'4" or greater. Had the Huskies won last year, they would have been the 1st team in a very long time to do so, but we all know how that turned out.

That is why, IMO, there is no one more important to UConn's drive towards a 12th banner than Z. On offense, just like Lou opens up the floor with her shooting, Z will open up the floor with her size and all-around offensive skills. Imagine how much fun Pheesa & Gabby will have, knowing the other team's C has her hands full chasing Z all over the court.

On defense, at 6'6", Z will be a rim protector and rebounder, allowing her teammates to play tough "on ball" defense all over the court. Just putting her hands straight up on defense will pose a formidable obstacle to opposing players.

While UConn will win more than their share of blowouts this coming season, it will be in the handful of tight games vs top teams, particularly during the FF, assuming the Huskies make it back to Columbus, where Z's presence will be absolutely critical. Facing a tough opponent, games often come down to a blocked shot, key rebound or last second basket.

With all the depth and talent the Huskies have this coming season, you can't teach 6'6". Z can make plays with her size that no other Husky is capable of. That's why I believe Z will be the X-factor in UConn's drive for a 12th banner.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
FYI, after doing a bit of research it appears that the 2004-05 Baylor Bears were the last team to win a WBB national championship without the benefit of at least one starter at 6'4" or greater.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's been a very long time since any WBB team won a national championship that didn't start at least one player who was 6'4" or greater. Had the Huskies won last year, they would have been the 1st team in a very long time to do so, but we all know how that turned out.

That is why, IMO, there is no one more important to UConn's drive towards a 12th banner than Z. On offense, just like Lou opens up the floor with her shooting, Z will open up the floor with her size and all-around offensive skills. Imagine how much fun Pheesa & Gabby will have, knowing the other team's C has her hands full chasing Z all over the court.

On defense, at 6'6", Z will be a rim protector and rebounder, allowing her teammates to play tough "on ball" defense all over the court. Just putting her hands straight up on defense will pose a formidable obstacle to opposing players.

While UConn will win more than their share of blowouts this coming season, it will be in the handful of tight games vs top teams, particularly during the FF, assuming the Huskies make it back to Columbus, where Z's presence will be absolutely critical. Facing a tough opponent, games often come down to a blocked shot, key rebound or last second basket.

With all the depth and talent the Huskies have this coming season, you can't teach 6'6". Z can make plays with her size that no other Husky is capable of. That's why I believe Z will be the X-factor in UConn's drive for a 12th banner.

A very real and accurate observation here. I could not agree more. Thank goodness for Stevens coming to us via transfer. Imagine what the 2017-2018 UConn roster would look like without her, and 6'5" Butler gone.
UConn would have less team height than last year. There is no substitution for height. Some speculate that Butler left because of AZ coming over, and her possible perception of less playing time this year. We don't know that. That dynamic was not the reason she gave for leaving.

Reaction Score

Couldn't agree more...but, might add, "Z can make plays with her size that no other "Big" can make, Husky or not..... That's why I believe Z will be the X-factor in UConn's drive for a 12th banner

Carnac

Reaction Score
Gabby is certainly 6'8" if you measure her by the size of her heart. :)

A scary thought or vision...................imagine UConn's fate last year if Gabby had just "average" jumping ability for a player of her size. Gabby was a BIG reason UConn won some of the close games they did against larger teams.
She was able to either outplay, or neutralize the post players of other teams.

Reaction Score
A scary thought or vision....imagine UConn's fate last year if Gabby had just "average" jumping ability for a player of her size. Gabby was a BIG reason UConn won some of the close games they did against larger teams.
She was able to either outplay, or neutralize the post players of other teams.

This is true. However, many times she got into foul trouble and had to sit on the bench. With the bench this year, there is a lot more talent and punch to come to the assistance of this team. And, with a force like Stevens on the court, perhaps, at the same time, the abilities of both Gabby and Stevens will be formidable and challenging to opponents.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With no starter 6ft 4in or taller the Connecticut Huskies 3-peated from 2002 - 2004!
Absolutely correct. But they had 3 of the toughest 6'2" front court players in the nation in Cash, Williams & Jones for the 1st championship, and then UConn had DT and nobody else did for the next 2.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No love here for Batouly? She's still my fav for surprising to the upside....
I see Batouly as the 1st front court player off the bench for either Z or Pheesa. I see one particular role for the Batwoman as the enforcer, if and when opposing teams attempt to rough up Z in the post.

Reaction Score
TAMU 2011. Tallest starter was 6'1" Adams, who played center.

I've always said that height doesn't get tired at either the end of a game or the end of a season while the ability to jump does tire.

UConn gave up 7 offensive rebounds and committed 5 turnovers in the 1st period against MsSt. While a tall starter could have rebounded better there's no guarantee of that.

And I wouldn't want to stake my life on Tina Charles being 6'4".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
TAMU 2011. Tallest starter was 6'1" Adams, who played center.

I've always said that height doesn't get tired at either the end of a game or the end of a season while the ability to jump does tire.

UConn gave up 7 offensive rebounds and committed 5 turnovers in the 1st period against MsSt. While a tall starter could have rebounded better there's no guarantee of that.

And I wouldn't want to stake my life on Tina Charles being 6'4".
All good points.

I would point out that 6'5" freshman center Karla Gilbert did start a handful of games for A&M in 2010-11.

As for MS St, you're correct that there's no guarantee, but even though it was a much different situation from an experience point of view, I can't help but think that the way Stewie & Tuck carved up the Bulldogs one year earlier, the addition of one talented BIG would have been enough to secure the victory for the Huskies this past season.

As for Tina's height, just going off the program. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Z had a total of 83 blocks while at Duke, I don't think she is much of a rim protector.

Reaction Score
Z had a total of 83 blocks while at Duke, I don't think she is much of a rim protector.
You could well be right, since it's really wishful thinking by fans that players "can change."
OTOH, I heard an interview with Joanne P. that she effectively allowed Z position herself wherever she wanted. Now, that was specifically about offense. But even so, there is no way that Geno lets Z do her own thing...ever, and I think Z will be far more disciplined within the team concept at UConn. So, if Geno needs her to be a "rim protector," she'll be a rim protector, IMO.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree. As a freshmen Azura had Elizabeth Williams as a rim protector and as a Sophmore she had a pair of 6'4" players to defend in the post Chidom and Henson.

You could well be right, since it's really wishful thinking by fans that players "can change."
OTOH, I heard an interview with Joanne P. that she effectively allowed Z position herself wherever she wanted. Now, that was specifically about offense. But even so, there is no way that Geno lets Z do her own thing...ever, and I think Z will be far more disciplined within the team concept at UConn. So, if Geno needs her to be a "rim protector," she'll be a rim protector, IMO.
On the Defensive side of the ball coach JPM did use Azura in some pretty innovative ways, for example she used her at the top of the diamond full court press. IMO the UCONN rugged rim protecting post defense is going to have to come from Batouly not Azura.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Blocking shots is great, but challenging shots is what it's all about, and I suspect Z will be a lot more active on defense playing for Geno.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
FYI, after doing a bit of research it appears that the 2004-05 Baylor Bears were the last team to win a WBB national championship without the benefit of at least one starter at 6'4" or greater.

Thank you for saving me from myself and doing this bit of research :)

The only team that I was certain met the criteria was 2002.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This is true. However, many times she got into foul trouble and had to sit on the bench. With the bench this year, there is a lot more talent and punch to come to the assistance of this team. And, with a force like Stevens on the court, perhaps, at the same time, the abilities of both Gabby and Stevens will be formidable and challenging to opponents.

Yes siree, and that's a wonderful thing!!! :)

Carnac

Reaction Score

Well, maybe not. But I attribute those numbers to COACHING, not necessarily effort. This time around, the coaching is different. The expectations are different, and the four other players she'll be on the floor with will be different.

What I'm suggesting is, expect AZ to have a completely different mindset, attitude and sense of urgency this season. I expect all of her numbers and her overall play to improve this year. After all, that is why she came to UConn................isn't it? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom