X's & O's with Geno | The Boneyard

X's & O's with Geno

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've watched these and other video's by Geno extensively. Although only a paper thin, beginners entry into Geno's offense, it's a nice way to get an idea of some of its terminology and complexity. These are required viewing for all UConn fans. Some on the BY are old hats at X's and O's and the workings of Geno's hybrid Princeton/Triangle offense. Most here on the BY are not, and often talk out of their posteriors in referring to Geno's offense. Worse, some wonder why certain players and certain sequences fail when playing below the nail at UConn, and often attribute it to things that have nothing to do with Geno's offense, the situation, the offensive sets, or the players skill sets. Watch these, watch his other videos, and learn.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've watched these and other video's by Geno extensively. Although only a paper thin, beginners entry into Geno's offense, it's a nice way to get an idea of some of its terminology and complexity. These are required viewing for all UConn fans. Some on the BY are old hats at X's and O's and the workings of Geno's hybrid Princeton/Triangle offense. Most here on the BY are not, and often talk out of their posteriors in referring to Geno's offense. Worse, some wonder why certain players and certain sequences fail when playing below the nail at UConn, and often attribute it to things that have nothing to do with Geno's offense, the situation, the offensive sets, or the players skill sets. Watch these, watch his other videos, and learn.
It's not a Princeton/Triangle offense.

It's a motion offense that descends from Henry Iba/Bobby Knight.

JordyG

Reaction Score

Then my friend, how do you explain Geno's extensive use of the chin offense, the pistol maneuvers, and his working off the pinch post forming a triangle on that side of the court. Coincidences? How do you explain Geno's adaptations of Harry Perreta's 5 (or 4) out "spread offense", which itself is an adaptation of of the Princeton offense? More coincidences? Or maybe you just enjoy overlooking that stuff. In case you didn't know, the things specific to the Princeton offense are constant motion, back door cuts, and screens on and off the ball. Sound at all familiar? The team starts out with four players outside the three point arc with one player at the top of the key. Again, sound familiar? At all?

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score

And where exactly did Bobby get his motion offense in the first place? Magic? No. Knight's offense IS the Princeton offense with adaptations. Knight's offense didn't work off the key much, didn't use that chin offense as Geno does, nor did he work the pistol. He worked off the down screens back to the guard high, or post cuts, or vertical screens, or horizontal screens. Geno yes, the vertical and some horizontal screens, but the other stuff not as much. Plus, Bobby never worked the pinch post/triangle that I can see.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Then my friend, how do you explain Geno's extensive use of the chin offense, the pistol maneuvers, and his working off the pinch post forming a triangle on that side of the court. Coincidences? How do you explain Geno's adaptations of Harry Perreta's 5 (or 4) out "spread offense", which itself is an adaptation of of the Princeton offense? More coincidences? Or maybe you just enjoy overlooking that stuff. In case you didn't know, the things specific to the Princeton offense are constant motion, back door cuts, and screens on and off the ball. Sound at all familiar? The team starts out with four players outside the three point arc with one player at the top of the key. Again, sound familiar? At all?
You might want to look into Iba's and Knights offenses. They are similar but different. Iba and Carill were both working on motion offenses independently. So while similar, they are different.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And where exactly did Bobby get his motion offense in the first place? Magic? No.
Ummm, Knight came from Iba's coaching tree. Not Carill's.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You might want to look into Iba's and Knights offenses. They are similar but different. Iba and Carill were both working on motion offenses independently. So while similar, they are different.
I have, and yes although similar, they are different. Knight studied the Princeton offense extensively as well, and made alterations to suit his style. When you look at Bobby's offense it looks far more like Carril's than Iba's, in tempo and the amount of screening and movement. And again, Geno does not use down screens back to the high guard some much,or post cuts. Knight, unlike Geno, hardly if ever work off the elbow, used a chin offense, used pistol variations, high screens (although more than the others), or the 23 keep off the high screen. He rather used the vertical and horizontal screens more. Geno's offense has far more (far more) influences from Harry's (hence Carril's) offense and the Princeton than Bobby's. Bobby worked a lot inside the nail. Geno likes to work outside the nail. That's Princeton. More, although Iba used a motion offense, his methodical, ball control style with its weaving offense and dribble drives looks absolutely nothing like Geno's.
So that absolutely precludes Bobby from studying the Princeton offense? Geno never coached under Perrata, yet took much from his offense, as well as the innovator Carril, whom he also never coached under. You might want to look at Geno's old interviews where he speaks about his influences.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
I have, and yes although similar, they are different. Knight studied the Princeton offense extensively as well, and made alterations to suit his style. When you look at Bobby's offense it looks far more like Carril's than Iba's, in tempo and the amount of screening and movement. And again, Geno does not use down screens back to the high guard some much,or post cuts. Knight, unlike Geno, hardly if ever work off the elbow, used a chin offense, used pistol variations, high screens (although more than the others), or the 23 keep off the high screen. He rather used the vertical and horizontal screens more. Geno's offense has far more (far more) influences from Harry's (hence Carril's) offense and the Princeton than Bobby's. Bobby worked a lot inside the nail. Geno likes to work outside the nail. That's Princeton. More, although Iba used a motion offense, his methodical, ball control style with its weaving offense and dribble drives looks absolutely nothing like Geno's.

So that absolutely precludes Bobby from studying the Princeton offense? Geno never coached under Perrata, yet took much from his offense, as well as the innovator Carril, whom he also never coached under. You might want to look at Geno's old interviews where he speaks about his influences.
It's Harry Perretta. There I'm absolutely wrong.

JordyG

Reaction Score
By the way, I'm willing to make a side bet of any amount you wish that if asked, Geno would say his coaching philosophy was far more influenced by Harry Perretta than Iba, or Knight. He would also say his coaching style was closer to Harry's than either Hank or Bobby's.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
By the way, I'm willing to make a side bet of any amount you wish that if asked, Geno would say his coaching philosophy was far more influenced by Harry Perretta than Iba, or Knight. He would also say his coaching style was closer to Harry's than either Hank or Bobby's.
Other than throwing chairs and choking players, Bobby and Geno are pretty much identical.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Ummmm, I know what I've read and watched for years here (looks like you do too). I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Other than throwing chairs and choking players, Bobby and Geno are pretty much identical.
I guess your need to be right supersedes all logic. The day Geno chokes a player, manhandles a player and stuffs him into a garbage can, or stands at midcourt and curses out the conference commissioner, you may have a point. Until then...

1650644057544.png

JordyG

Reaction Score
Ummmm, I know what I've read and watched for years here (looks like you do too). I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
Perhaps the most logical and informed thing you've said during our discourse.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guess your need to be right supersedes all logic.
I could say the same for you. But I won't. I'll just agree to disagree. Ain't no changing your mind. You're pretty stuck in that sad, dark, desolate place. I kind of pity you. (but not too much :cool: )

JordyG

Reaction Score
I could say the same for you. But I won't. I'll just agree to disagree. Ain't no changing your mind. You're pretty stuck in that sad, dark, desolate place. I kind of pity you. (but not too much :cool: )
Yes. Well as with most wrongheaded and insecure jesters these days you quickly resort to SIGN-ing: Shame, insults, guilt, and the need to be right. I concede. I would never condescend to use SIGN-ing in what, until now, was a friendly disagreement. Nonetheless one where I, as you, have yet to give a single example of delineated offense, or of personality traits and similarities between any of the people you've compared to Geno. Not one. I've always felt that ad hominem's were one of the last resorts of the ignorant and/or the defeated. As Mark Twain said, "Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Indeed, your experience seems legion. You win. Flail on my most temporary of friends. From my end, this one sided conversation is over. You may have the last disjointed word if you care.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes. Well as with most wrongheaded and insecure jesters these days you quickly resort to SIGN-ing: Shame, insults, guilt, and the need to be right. I concede. I would never condescend to use SIGN-ing in what, until now, was a friendly disagreement. Nonetheless one where I, as you, have yet to give a single example of delineated offense, or of personality traits and similarities between any of the people you've compared to Geno. Not one. I've always felt that ad hominem's were one of the last resorts of the ignorant and/or the defeated. As Mark Twain said, "Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Indeed, your experience seems legion. You win. Flail on my most temporary of friends. From my end, this one sided conversation is over. You may have the last disjointed word if you care.
I could say the same to you. But I won't. I'll just agree to disagree. Ain't no changing your mind. You're pretty stuck in that sad, dark, desolate place. I kind of pity you. (but not too much :cool: )

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom