XL improvements? | The Boneyard

XL improvements?

Reaction Score
Apparently Uconn has FINALLY reupped their lease with the XL Center for the upcoming season. Have there been any improvements to XL since last year? I think there were funds authorized for improvements but there has been no news that improvements have been implemented. Obviously the place desperately needs a complete overhaul or a rebuild, but short of that, has anyone heard of anything that has been done for the upcoming season?

Reaction Score
I know they have the sports betting venue being built, which will replace some of the ugly exterior concrete with glass walls. Besides for that, haven’t heard of any other renovations moving forward. Was curious about this myself.

Reaction Score
There is definitely work taking place on the side along Ann Uccello Street. Looks like it has to do with the sports betting addition because concrete is coming down and new walls are being put up that extend outward a bit.

Reaction Score
Somewhat related, where do you guys usually park?
I always park in the Morgan St. open air parking lot on the corner of Main St. and Morgan St. (address is 1000 Main St.) because it's easy to get on I-84 East from there. I'd rather walk a few minutes (it's only about a 5 minute walk to XL Center) and get on the highway quickly than be closer to the XL Center and sit in the gridlock traffic for 30 minutes trying to get to the highway.

Reaction Score
I could care less if the XL is nicer, less nice, or the same. I'm there for the game and the beer...forget the amenities. Nonsense for the fake fan corporate types.
Been going to games forever well before it became the XL Center, and the place needs help. It has nothing to do with fake fan corporate types. The team deserves to play in a better place and ALL of the fans deserve to watch them play in a better place.

Reaction Score
I could care less if the XL is nicer, less nice, or the same. I'm there for the game and the beer...forget the amenities. Nonsense for the fake fan corporate types.
Can't watch the game when you're stuck in line to go to the teeny-tiny pergo-floored pipes-moaning men's room.

Reaction Score
Can't watch the game when you're stuck in line to go to the teeny-tiny pergo-floored pipes-moaning men's room.
Hold it. :)

Urinate Season 8 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Reaction Score
HurleyMania posted this pic on twitter at the XL Center tonight(1st hockey game) to show the condition of the XL. Exposed rebar?This is just embarrassing and Uconn is PAYING rent to play there. So much for improvements.
EE3A915C-646D-4704-AB64-2D8C5D1ED76F.jpeg

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Guys, I know I complain a lot etc but...it's really bad. It is insane how thin the concourse is around that end of the building now. It's 6 feet wide. The building is essentially now a horshoe like the one in Bridgeport.

With a full house it's gonna be a goddam disaster.

Reaction Score
Alright, I left the XL after the game that way and I figured I just wasnt paying attention when I ended up walking just behind the band to leave. Now it makes sense.

Reaction Score
What does the AD/Uconn have to say about this? They reupped the lease in this condition? Some beat writer should be asking about this. Seriously, what if the place needed to be evacuated?

jho

Reaction Score
HurleyMania posted this pic on twitter at the XL Center tonight(1st hockey game) to show the condition of the XL. Exposed rebar?This is just embarrassing and Uconn is PAYING rent to play there. So much for improvements. View attachment 79609
I was at last night’s hockey game and walked around this area. This is where they’re building the sports betting venue and this is a temporary wall blocking off the construction site. What I did like is they opened up the end zone similar to what they did several years ago when they put the bar in on the other side. They ripped out two concession stands that were never open.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They host events with the place looking like this?

This is even more of a hazard than it is an embarrassment. How is this accepted?

Much like much else in life it's accepted until people with control of the situation are sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Considering UConn just stroked another check for basketball and hockey I'd suggest UConn isn't sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Much like much else in life it's accepted until people with control of the situation are sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Considering UConn just stroked another check for basketball and hockey I'd suggest UConn isn't sick and tired of being sick and tired.
No one here has ever been to a place staying open during an expansion or improvement? Maybe a few "Pardon our Appearance" signs might help.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No one here has ever been to a place staying open during an expansion or improvement? Maybe a few "Pardon our Appearance" signs might help.

Sure. Not disagreeing you can keep a venue open while actively repairing it. Truth be told, inconveniencing fans by choking access and rerouting them is a great way to make them "feel" the pain of improvements. Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case here. This feels more like a F-em statement towards patrons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom