XL/HCC | The Boneyard

XL/HCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So odd UConn took down a team in Hartford. Why even bother to keep winning games there.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Civic Center sounded like it was rocking today! We did the Big Red chant in the living room back in NJ!

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Great game today.
It was really loud inside.
The fans were into it today.

And the $9.77 Stub Hub tickets made it a real easy decision to go.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not only loud, smart too. The biggest play of the game was Hamilton's three around the 8 min mark. That snuffed SMU's lead and the Huskies were off to the races. When he gets the ball wide open, the first thing he did was fake a shot. The entire crowd groaned in a manner that just screamed, "Shoot!" Only then did DHam fire it up. Good! The crowd willed that shot.

Reaction Score
It was a good crowd and Hartford was rocking.

When did they take out the doors from the concourse to the the seats? They should have done that a long time ago, the doors didn't serve any purpose that I can think of anyway.

Used to keep some of the cigarette smoke out during the 80's.

Reaction Score
You tend to get more of the 25-35 crowd at the XL and those dudes (self included) are a lot louder than grandma and grandpa.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When did they take out the doors from the concourse to the the seats? They should have done that a long time ago, the doors didn't serve any purpose that I can think of anyway.
It literally happened this week. Was supposed to happen over the summer but there was a permit holdup. Place is much better without those doors.
Nice! Wasn't there today but as soon as I saw the new bar area with the open entry from the concourse this season I wondered why the rest of the concourse was still shut off. Now they just need to put a matching bar area in the other end.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just saw some post game clips from KO, Larry Brown and Purvis on the news. Brown fawned over the crowd and atmosphere, saying that SMU aspires to have that level of atmosphere some day. Purvis also cited the energy of the crowd as a huge factor. Nice going whoever was there. Sorry I wasn't.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
It literally happened this week. Was supposed to happen over the summer but there was a permit holdup. Place is much better without those doors.
Big improvement but they still have work to do before the 12th, still didn't do the outside doors for the Orange corner anyone know what's the holdup with that?

Reaction Score
Yes....The crowd today was right up there with some of the better one's of the past decade. Lot's of continued standing in the last 10:00. Great to see. Miss CT & her court were a nice touch also. :)

Reaction Score
Yes....The crowd today was right up there with some of the better one's of the past decade. Lot's of continued standing in the last 10:00. Great to see. Miss CT & her court were a nice touch also. :)

Lots of beauty queens today. Very nice touch. Halftime show was pretty good too.

Reaction Score
Used to keep some of the cigarette smoke out during the 80's.

Kids today wouldn't believe the smoke haze that'd drift into the arena even with the doors.

Reaction Score
Sat in the nosebleeds for the first time in ages and it's a nice touch replacing the TV's up there with HD ones. Turning them on would be a nicer touch though. Crowd was great and can't believe how much better the place is without the doors. All in all solid all around. Crowd, building and most importantly team all on point today.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't smoke, but I still think it's cool that the XL has a smoking area. How many arenas do?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's a great piece of evidence the next time some genius is telling you Hartford is bad for the program.

Reaction Score
I think the Gampel vs XL argument will live on forever as long as both of those buildings are standing. Im usually on the Gampel side of the argument but Hartford crowds can really bring it for the big games. Thats why there is no doubt in my mind we will own that place for every game thats played in the AAC tournament. UConn fans are smart as in they know when the big games are. I guarantee if we are playing in the championship game next Sunday, the atmosphere will be right up there with the MSU game last year or Louisville BE Championship game in 2011.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think the Gampel vs XL argument will live on forever as long as both of those buildings are standing. Im usually on the Gampel side of the argument but Hartford crowds can really bring it for the big games. Thats why there is no doubt in my mind we will own that place for every game thats played in the AAC tournament. UConn fans are smart as in they know when the big games are. I guarantee if we are playing in the championship game next Sunday, the atmosphere will be right up there with the MSU game last year or Louisville BE Championship game in 2011.

There doesn't need to be an argument. Splitting the games between the buildings is what is best for the program.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
XL was on fire today - overall great crowd. A lot of fun.

Also I feel like they re-did the sound system since the Tulsa game. The audio was on point.

Reaction Score
We have a major advantage playing this AAC tourney at home. If this team gets hot we'll be dancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom