XL Center concourse, walkway WOW | The Boneyard

XL Center concourse, walkway WOW

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
my 1st time there in years for the Cincinnati game and I live a mile away... thanks to my 60" TV

I enjoyed the "no doors" look but the concession areas are very crowded.

seating still the same, I was behind the home team bench side of the endzone.

environment still the same... nothing like Mississippi "white out" game tho. lot of fun and games during the timeouts

in the crowded walkway I "bumped" into Philster... we chatted for about 10-15 minutes, I haven't seen Phil in years. I think we;re currently up to date now.

Traffic coming and going was tough BUT maybe its because I have been to a game in year. No street parking unless you got there early, Im sure because there is more "tenants" downtown the only place to park is in the lots. I had to swipe my card for 10.60 to park (who carries cash these days)

entrance to the arena wasn't bad... walk thru the metal detector. White Out towels were only given out at the "main entrance" so I happen to be walking around and ran into the towels. There was plenty.

Jamelle's vocal cords, geesh... someone needs to warn her to tone it down for her own health.

Overall it was a good day

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Jamelle's vocal cords, geesh... someone needs to warn her to tone it down for her own health.

There was one instance where she was so loud you heard it through the telecast on the TV. Even the announcers made comment. She was never that vocal as an assistant...from what I recall...

Reaction Score
Great report. Jamelle's shrieking did indeed come through loud and clear over the TV. There was no mistaking it, and confirmed by the announcers. She is a Huskies legend who came up big, no huge in the later minutes of the program's first national championship game. It was nice to see the the warm embrace between her and Geno both before and after the game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
There was one instance where she was so loud you heard it through the telecast on the TV. Even the announcers made comment. She was never that vocal as an assistant...from what I recall...
it was Geno's job to be vocal when she was at UConn

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
my 1st time there in years for the Cincinnati game and I live a mile away... thanks to my 60" TV

I enjoyed the "no doors" look but the concession areas are very crowded.

seating still the same, I was behind the home team bench side of the endzone.

environment still the same... nothing like Mississippi "white out" game tho. lot of fun and games during the timeouts

in the crowded walkway I "bumped" into Philster... we chatted for about 10-15 minutes, I haven't seen Phil in years. I think we;re currently up to date now.

Traffic coming and going was tough BUT maybe its because I have been to a game in year. No street parking unless you got there early, Im sure because there is more "tenants" downtown the only place to park is in the lots. I had to swipe my card for 10.60 to park (who carries cash these days)

entrance to the arena wasn't bad... walk thru the metal detector. White Out towels were only given out at the "main entrance" so I happen to be walking around and ran into the towels. There was plenty.

Overall it was a good day
27751394.jpg

I always carry cash. :cool:

Reaction Score
Glad you made the mile trek and had a good time! The upgrades they made to the area a few years back were great. The open bar area, some upgrades to the concessions and brightening up the lobby helped. The new metal detectors are a huge improvement entering the main entrance. But, as I’m sure you’ve read and can readily see, the arena is aging quickly and in bad need of a major refurbishment or total rebuild. I read today that the govenator wants $100M approved to begin some work. I recall that the entire cost estimate to refurbish is $250M. Tough decision under our budget problems. They are also going to be soliciting bids to sell the arena to a private company.

I would love to see a new arena, but it’s so hard to see where the money can come from and how the investment will pay for itself? I recall reading that even with investing $250M in arena the new facility will only earn a profit of $3M a year (it loses money right now). So, it’s a tough dilemma. Can a private firm do more with the arena to generate more profit? Also, people need to support not only the arena, but the city business as a whole to make a new arena work. Will they? When we have all the games on TV, a 60” alternative at home, zero traffic, no parking woes or bad weather to deal with it’s a tough challenge. But, we’ve had great attendance to games played at the right times on weekends, so maybe there’s some hope?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Glad you made the mile trek and had a good time! The upgrades they made to the area a few years back were great. The open bar area, some upgrades to the concessions and brightening up the lobby helped. The new metal detectors are a huge improvement entering the main entrance. But, as I’m sure you’ve read and can readily see, the arena is aging quickly and in bad need of a major refurbishment or total rebuild. I read today that the govenator wants $100M approved to begin some work. I recall that the entire cost estimate to refurbish is $250M. Tough decision under our budget problems. They are also going to be soliciting bids to sell the arena to a private company.

I would love to see a new arena, but it’s so hard to see where the money can come from and how the investment will pay for itself? I recall reading that even with investing $250M in arena the new facility will only earn a profit of $3M a year (it loses money right now). So, it’s a tough dilemma. Can a private firm do more with the arena to generate more profit? Also, people need to support not only the arena, but the city business as a whole to make a new arena work. Will they? When we have all the games on TV, a 60” alternative at home, zero traffic, no parking woes or bad weather to deal with it’s a tough challenge. But, we’ve had great attendance to games played at the right times on weekends, so maybe there’s some hope?
there's a lot of competing arenas in the arena now especially for music events. the XL Center can continue to be king due to the Sports it can atrract and thing like "Disney on Ice" etc. The Circus was good but of course that's over with now. We'll see what the Yard Goats do this spring, I need to get to that arena as well

Reaction Score
there's a lot of competing arenas in the arena now especially for music events. the XL Center can continue to be king due to the Sports it can atrract and thing like "Disney on Ice" etc. The Circus was good but of course that's over with now. We'll see what the Yard Goats do this spring, I need to get to that arena as well
I agree. I understand that the MGM Casio up in Springfield is going to work with the area there in some manner. That’s another source of good competition. It’ll be tough for the XL to survive without a major investment. Every time we go to the arena at Mohegan I come away saddened that that isn’t what our XL Center looks like.
BTW, if you haven’t been to the Yard Goats Park, I think you’ll really enjoy it. Definitely go. Despite the financial catastrophe it was built under, it turned out to be a gem of a ballpark. Plus they ran it so well last year giving a great fan experience.
And it’s a bargain to attend.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I agree. I understand that the MGM Casio up in Springfield is going to work with the area there in some manner. That’s another source of good competition. It’ll be tough for the XL to survive without a major investment. Every time we go to the arena at Mohegan I come away saddened that that isn’t what our XL Center looks like.
BTW, if you haven’t been to the Yard Goats Park, I think you’ll really enjoy it. Definitely go. Despite the financial catastrophe it was built under, it turned out to be a gem of a ballpark. Plus they ran it so well last year giving a great fan experience.
And it’s a bargain to attend.
Yeah I plan on going this upcoming season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom