Xbox One | The Boneyard

Xbox One

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So, I've been a Playstation guy for at least a decade. Yesterday, an Xbox One arrived at my door somewhat unexpectedly (thank you, Santa?)... I don't know anything about Xbox other than I really, really must have Forza Motorsport 5. Any tips/tricks for this ol PS guy? I'm guessing Xbox Live Gold membership is pretty much a must? I haven't even had a chance to hook the thing up yet, I'll get to that this weekend... I'm guessing the setup will end up being Dish Hopper --> Xbox One --> AV Receiver --> TV, with HDMI cables in between each. I'm sure I'll figure it all out in the end but I was curious if anyone had any thoughts!

Reaction Score
Xbox live trumps the Playstations online in every way.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I just bought an Xbox One for my nephews.

The only things I can say for certain are that it is kinda expensive, really heavy and there doesn't seem to be a heck of a lot of games available.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
haha... some lucky nephews you've got there! I'm finally going to get around to hooking it up today... we'll see how it goes!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
All set up as described above... now I just need a game! Hoping Santa brings me Forza Motorsport 5 on Wednesday. Not sure how sold I am having my Dish Hopper running through it but I'll keep it for a bit and see how it goes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Games are limited at the moment...but the PS4 is even more limited (2 I believe). XBox Live Gold is needed, at least eventually. Perhaps not now with the limited game set, unless you want to use some of the streaming features, and run you cable box through it. The ESPN app on XBox is fantastic, and since I can't get SNY, I use it to watch UConn hoops al the time on my TV.

It's really much more than a gaming console, if you choose to use it as one. For example, if you have any videos, pictures or MP3s on a Windows PC, you can link the XBox to the PC and access any of them to play through it. Used correctly even the old 360 was pretty powerful in that regard, and One really takes that up several levels. Also, you can use the Kinect for video calls via Skype (which is MSFT).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It was pretty impressive.

A little freaking complicated, but impressive.

If you look up quickly at the Madden game, you'll think there's a football game on.

From my research before buying it for the boys, it seemed like the $100 premium over the PS4 seemed justifiable, but if you're price-sensitive, I would wait a bit...I think the prices will drop soon enough. Stock already exceeds demand by a bit.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Well I'm completely and utterly addicted to Forza Motorsport 5. Fishy, like you said, look up and it's like there's a race on.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I didn't play it much, but I was around when my nephews were and my most pressing complaint is that the thing is hopelessly Microsofty.

Just trying to start a game involves 87 steps and occasionally, you hit a button that makes something pop onto the screen and you have to google (Bing?) how to make it go away.

That said, I saw a commercial yesterday that showed someone playing Madden and watching football in a 'snapped' screen on the side. Television pass-through is a pretty neat feature.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom