Xavier Scouting Report | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Xavier Scouting Report

Reaction Score
No. And if Freemantle put the ball down he’d be burned.

If he gets hot, might want to throw Samson on him for some different looks/quick fouls.
Imma disagree. I don’t remember Fremantle being as elusive as your making him out to be. Sanago should be able to stay in front of him

Reaction Score
No. 13 Xavier at No. 19 UConn (Wednesday, 6:30 p.m. on FS1) -- Back on New Year's Eve, then-No. 22 Xavier handed then-No. 2 UConn its first loss of the season. Since then, the Musketeers are 4-1 with a lone, confounding loss to DePaul while the Huskies are just 2-4.

In the first meeting, Xavier destroyed UConn's defense with 77 half-court points. For reference, only one other team has scored even 65 half-court points against the Huskies this season. The catalyst was the pick-and-roll; UConn allowed a season-high 12 points to rollers.

This is exactly what Xavier wants to do -- and is built to do. Of the 111 D-I teams that have run at least 75 pick-and-roll possessions through the roller, Xavier ranks second in points per possession and effective field goal percentage, only behind Creighton. Jack Nunge (first three clips) and Zach Freemantle (last clip) are matchup nightmares who can rim run or pop out to the 3-point line, and with the Musketeers' excellent floor spacing -- five players are shooting over 39% from deep -- they have room to roam.

This was the team that wrote the blueprint for shredding our defense. The good news is we will be the ones making the adjustments heading into round 2. Hurley seems to be much better at making this type of adjustment than in game.
Hopefully him and the staff have done that and we have a much better plan and execution tomorrow.

Reaction Score
This was the team that wrote the blueprint for shredding our defense. The good news is we will be the ones making the adjustments heading into round 2. Hurley seems to be much better at making this type of adjustment than in game.
Hopefully him and the staff have done that and we have a much better plan and execution tomorrow.
So you expect Hurley to be better at making adjustments than Miller? Hope u r correct but….

Reaction Score
The first X game was a very high-quality matchup: lots of assists, lots of talent on the floor. The Hurley T was a killer. I honestly feel that we would have won that game on our home floor. Now’s our chance. Need to step up the defensive effort, but I think having Samson as an additional body at the 4 will help. Go Huskies! This is a big one.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Imma disagree. I don’t remember Fremantle being as elusive as your making him out to be. Sanago should be able to stay in front of him
I do hope you are right.

Reaction Score
They will continue to feed Freemantle against Karaban. It's a major advantage to them in the post. Hurley will not go a way from Karaban at least to start. I think he will try and double. If Freemantle is killing him again then he will adjust with maybe double big... maybe. Boum had bad game last time so I expect Miller to have him and Jones to try and attack the rim after watching us against SH and SJ.

We have to punch them in the mouth first, last game they punched us first and got out to a 10 point lead which we climbed back in and got a last second three to take the halftime lead, however, for the most part they controlled the game.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If nothing else, the presence of Samson gives us 5 fouls we kind of don’t care about in defending Freemantle and Nunge

If we are content in giving away 5 fouls just like that, we have no business complaining about refs.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
If we are content in giving away 5 fouls just like that, we have no business complaining about refs.
we foul, a lot. too much hand checking rather than foot checking, to my eyes.
the record so far?
ft's, made/attempted:
us 313-420.
them 350-473.
wait, whut?
unless it's all just a grand conspiracy.

Reaction Score
Good info as always.

Bold prediction on Alleyne. The kid looks like he couldn't hit water from a boat. I know he shot well from the arc last year but his shot is awkward and he has a bad habit of missing the rim -not in a good way. On the inside his shot is as likely to be blocked as reach the basket. If you're right about him having a good shooting game on Wednesday, you can change your handle to Nostradamus.
Excuse me but you are reading the ALLEYNE comments prior to the first X game…fooled me too

Reaction Score
So you expect Hurley to be better at making adjustments than Miller? Hope u r correct but….
That’s the thing is Hurley is the one who needs to adjust more than Miller. They dominated against us in the pick and roll, Hurley has to make the pregame adjustment to defend it differently this time.
The losing team is typically has to make more adjustments than the winner.
What big adjustments does Xavier have to make after our first meeting in your opinion?

Reaction Score
That’s the thing is Hurley is the one who needs to adjust more than Miller. They dominated against us in the pick and roll, Hurley has to make the pregame adjustment to defend it differently this time.
What big adjustments does Xavier have to make after our first meeting in your opinion?
Not give us so many open 3s. We were uncharacteristically cold. That won’t happen at Gampel

Reaction Score
Not give us so many open 3s. We were uncharacteristically cold. That won’t happen at Gampel
The problem was we took too many threes. We took 67 shots and 37 were threes. We weren't that cold either we hit 13 of them for 35%. Which is actually our current Team average.

Reaction Score
The problem was we took too many threes. We took 67 shots and 37 were threes. We weren't that cold either we hit 13 of them for 35%. Which is actually our current Team average.
They gave us a bunch of open 3s that’s why we took so many. We make 3-4 more and we win.
We also didn’t play bad that game. We played well. We just sort of lump it in with the other losses when it really shouldn’t be. It was a great game

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Miller always has and will adjust on the fly
The question is - after all the reading, studying and less yelling accomplished by DH, will he adjust on the fly
We shall see
As much as I detest Miller, the gut can outright coach

Reaction Score
Xavier is very good and we are motivated and need this one so this game will tell a lot about us, are we really a top team? Last Xavier game showed we were.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom