Xavier Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Xavier Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
A few additional comments and questions:
-While not an asset for the entire game, during the 2nd and 3rd quarters, I saw UConn exerting its will on both offense and defense for the first time in several games. Aubrey and Nika in particular shut their players down - few were able to drive to the basket. Nice to see.
-In the 4th quarter, UConn exhibited some of the worst basketball IQ seen in some time. Balls thrown away when no one was back on defense, open layups missed, Xavier executed several wide-open give and goes, etc. Sickening to watch.
-UConn's offense continues to struggle. Wonder when Geno will make some changes or add new plays. Curious why we continue to reuse what's not working.
-Ines is playing with more confidence, making crisper passes, and generally seems to understand the flow of the offense and defense better. For 5+ minutes, contributing more value.
-Not sure what to say about Patterson. She has the physical skills to play a key role but at times seems lost on offense, lets herself get blocked by defenders smaller, slower and with less skills, and continues to foul when just raising her arms would work. Was the last game an example of her skill set or just an anomaly?
-When UConn missed a shot, rather than using their height and physical advantages, they typically ran back on defense without trying to offensive rebound. Was this Geno's strategy or just an oversight by the players? Many D2 teams could outrebound Xavier.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
90E59FE6-E61B-4A79-8FD2-9CE765CE713E.jpeg

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Well one thing seems obvious, it is a fan base that clearly values style points over wins.
They are looking at the name on the uniform. It is true that there were some terrible turnovers. There was actually not terrible D. There is no way an offense doesn’t get messed up with so many key missing pieces.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
We won. Nika set a record for assists. Lou spent more time on the floor than anybody else, Literally! That is all that was remarkable about this game. Hope we get it together . Go Huskies! Get well soon.

Reaction Score
I want to be positive and believe we can get our mojo back, but today was really disappointing and I really don't see how we can turn it around in less than a week to win 3 games in 3 days against Marquette/St. Johns (Sun) and 'Nova (Mon). At this point we might limp into the NCAA losing the BET and as a 3 seed with a tough road to another Final Four.

Today, we were outplayed and outscored by Xavier (0-20) outside of Q2. And had 17 TOs vs Xavier !!!! We were a 36.5 point favorite and won by 9.
I’ve never seen a UConn team look defeated in a win. Just so many mistakes and blown layups and bad defense. Glad they won and proud with how they dealt with the adversity but there are many troubling signs. Turnovers and missed layups being the top two.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Hokay, mon, the regular season is over. Four days of rest and practice. No (or little) travel for a couple of weeks.

Time for Geno to take his team aside and say "You wanna win a National Championship, listen to me and I'll let you know how it's done." A paraphrase of what he said to them after losing to Notre Dame in the Big East tourney in Stewie's freshman year.

Reaction Score
The team was up 18 and looked like it would run away with the game then Geno subbed in 2 freshmen and, boom, big turnaround. Then Amari, and Xavier went up 2 points. During tournament time, the team will need to be up 30 before Geno puts both in at the same time.
So true--incredibly poor time to sub, but I guess Geno felt at least they could maintain the big lead. Wrong. Yes, as you said, maybe put one in at a time. At least though, we can say, they're freshmen and in learning mode. What is inexplicable to me are upper classmen airmailing errant passes when her intended targets are wide open and on the defensive side allowing uncontested layup after layup...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So true--incredibly poor time to sub, but I guess Geno felt at least they could maintain the big lead. Wrong. Yes, as you said, maybe put one in at a time. At least though, we can say, they're freshmen and in learning mode. What is inexplicable to me are upper classmen airmailing errant passes when her intended targets are wide open and on the defensive side allowing uncontested layup after layup...
They were trying to win the game with the next shot

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Whether some people don't see it or don't want to believe it, the team they're putting on the floor right now has multiple athletic and skills challenges along with the depth problem and is not more talented than most of the teams they're playing at this stage of the season.
Which Big East teams are just as talented as UConn without Azzi Fudd?

Reaction Score
We win the BE tournament we’re a 2 seed; we don’t win we’re a 3 seed.
This team is so gassed….

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
First 13 BE games this year UConn averages 79.4 ppg
Last 7 BE games this year UConn averages 62.4 ppg

I mentioned this in the past, teams no longer have the "Deer in the Headlights" look against UConn, that previous years opponents have always shown.
In fact, IMO, teams have tried to be physical with the starters as they know UConn has a very limited bench. wear them down, keep the games close and see what happens.

JBK

Reaction Score
Geno just said in the post game that even if came back tomorrow she would need time to get back into the swing of things. She's not gonna come back from injury and start dropping 30 points every game. The biggest advantage to Azzi being back would just being able to put someone on the floor who could be a reliable sub.
Azzi is our “Caitlin Clark” and we would all be so excited to see her and we would be happy with 14 points ( like ST John’s ) - helping the team open up the middle and cut down on the TO. She also has an incredible pull up.
Azzi has such a high BB IQ and we miss her offense right now - especially if Lou cannot get her second wind.

Reaction Score

One of the dumb decisions Auriemma is talking about. When she picked up the ball she was approaching the 3 pt line with no one within 15 feet. With her choice of which way to go to the rim she then for no reason, instead of a straight right hand layup, veers left under the rim and tries to make a right handed layup with no chance.

Reaction Score
and THAT ladies and gentlemen is why Geno dont play the bench. Amari and Ayanna looked lost and missed so many switches on defense. Next year they will hopefully improve. Ines didnt do bad on Defense but she was scared to take the shot.

The rest of the Huskies played pretty good for the most part but had to cover for the bench players and that took THEM outa position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom