WWSD--What Will Susan Do? | The Boneyard

WWSD--What Will Susan Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When she found Hathaway wanting, she orchestrated his departure. A Provost not operating up to her standards?--gone-- as were various department heads. When it was time for Calhoun to retire, she had a political ear and put his handpicked choice in place--but only for a year, thus allowing Ollie to prove his head coaching credentials in a season that was already suspect--yet reserving the option, should he flounder, to hire a coach she and her handpicked AD believe might better sustain and advance us as a BBall power.

So now she watches our football program sputter with a coaching staff selected by others. No one is more cognizent of the fact that UConn athletics are the "front porch" of the University. The name UConn rolls easily off the lips of millions around the world, and not because of our Chemistry Lab or Health Center. The impact of our athletic success on sheer name recognition, an exponential increase in applications (allowing for greater selectivity and an uptick in our national ranking as a public university) and especially fundraising, is not up for debate.

So I say all that to make this point. Do you seriously think she will allow the football program to become less relevant? I have little doubt that she's already instructed her AD to prepare a short list of recommended coaching replacements so she'll be ready when it's time to pull the trigger. And in case you haven't noticed, she's a pretty good shot.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Quietly survey the who might be available. When the right person comes along, then make the move.

Don't let circumstances dictate when you enter the market, like when Randy left. PP was a result of JH not preparing for RE's eventual departure, which was obvious to all.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Gotta wonder if she does it now? Or maybe after Rutgers kicks the shicocka out of us,by then there will be straight jackets in the Uconn store for $29.99

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This administration will be far more proactive on every front than our lame duck followed by an I can't wait to get back to the midwest followed a return of the lame duck presidents/AD who felt his only responsibility was to drive to work.

I would be amazed if there is a change (or even an announcement of displeasure) during the season but I would wager heavily that regardless of how we finish the season, there will be meetings (likely beginning within the next few weeks) to fully assess where we are, where we are headed, where the administration wants us to be and how to get there.

I doubt that we will ever again be in a situation where those on top would rather not make a decision. Whether he remains or is dismissed, PP's future will be the result of a what those in charge believe is correct, not what they believe is easiest.

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder if she does it now? Or maybe after Rutgers kicks the shicocka out of us,by then there will be straight jackets in the Uconn store for $29.99

You could charge a lot more for them and still sell a bunch.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it's even more raw than just Herbst's opinion (shared by many) about the use of athletics as the front porch of the university.

It's about dollars and cents and even more dollars and cents.

With UConn's HE entrance, and the money needed to do that, the bb facility, the probability of less ticket revenue from fb has to be a huge concern. Winners generate excitement and butts in the seats. Winners make donors more likely to open up their wallets.

So far UConn's athletic department spending has received an inordinate amount of goodwill from the state, its taxpayers and its politicians. Success has that ability to make even ogres look pretty.

Sure there have been the occasional grumblings, but nothing outsized. Would that change if 31k file in to watch Buffalo? How about if UConn goes 0-2 in the BE? No success, no tickets, no revenue, lots of heat.

Which brings us to next year, and season ticket renewals. A tough sell.

UConn can't afford to be mediocre. If he's doing a mediocre job, why wait until year three?

Reaction Score
come on, ya uconn will take a hit bigtime on ticket sales this year if we cant field a semblance of a capable team. but dont worry about next years season tickets... michigan and maryland are coming to the rent.

Reaction Score
As I said in other threads, the only way PP is still the coach at the end of this season is if there is little to no hope of leaving the big East any time soon. If Herbst/Manuel can orchestrate a move out of the dreck of the BE, then more money awaits the AD and an upgrade to the caoching staff is neccessary and inevitable. If they feel there is no chance of that happening and the BE tv dollars are what they appear to be (crap), then there is little incentive to buyout PP at $1.75M. the fan base is already disenfranchised with the style and quality of play and reality of playing in the awful big east will dawn on most fans beginning next year. Getting waxed by Michigan at home really gonna help that? Or losing to Edsall at home (which I would bet is a lock given the current makeup of the 2013 rosters)?

at the very least, though, I would suspect that Manuel/Herbst force Deleone out if PP is still there

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If we wind up 6-6 or worse I do think there will be meetings, performance reviews, etc. taken by WM and backed by Pres. Herbst. But I don't know if either of them (or Warde's underlings in the athletic dept.) would leak that info to the press, so we may never know about it, (unless it results in GDL or someone resigning) leading to much prolonged gnashing of teeth on the boneyard. Yay.

Reaction Score
If they go ahead with the straightjacket sale, I hope they remember to hire someone to put them on us and drive us home. No way in hell I would trust the wife with that opportunity.

Reaction Score
Susan demands excellence. And even though she's a bit of a tyrant, she sets the bar pretty high. I think what will sink PP is the lack of improvement that would allow for hope. This morning I'm less pissed about the loss, and more pissed about the future

Reaction Score
6-6 gets another year, anything less its thanks and moving on. Or if PP is defending Deleone in any capacity then he deserves to go no matter what, this isn't about keeping your friends employed...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
6-6 gets another year, anything less its thanks and moving on. Or if PP is defending Deleone in any capacity then he deserves to go no matter what, this isn't about keeping your friends employed...
Maybe... but it might also be at the end of the year the whole staff is on the hot seat. I dont know.

Reaction Score
As I said in other threads, the only way PP is still the coach at the end of this season is if there is little to no hope of leaving the big East any time soon. If Herbst/Manuel can orchestrate a move out of the dreck of the BE, then more money awaits the AD and an upgrade to the caoching staff is neccessary and inevitable. If they feel there is no chance of that happening and the BE tv dollars are what they appear to be (crap), then there is little incentive to buyout PP at $1.75M. the fan base is already disenfranchised with the style and quality of play and reality of playing in the awful big east will dawn on most fans beginning next year. Getting waxed by Michigan at home really gonna help that? Or losing to Edsall at home (which I would bet is a lock given the current makeup of the 2013 rosters)?

at the very least, though, I would suspect that Manuel/Herbst force Deleone out if PP is still there

Kevin here is P's contract from UConn Athletic web site...his buyout as of 1/1/13 is $750,000
as of 1/1/14 $600,000
where did you get the $1.75 million from?

Jan. 14, 2011

CONTRACT PERIOD: The term of the contract is January 14, 2011 through December 31, 2015.

SALARY/PUBLIC RELATIONS AND MEDIA APPEARANCES: The contract calls for an annual base salary, as well as, annual payments for institutional public relations and media appearances. The following is a year-by-year summary of those payments:

Period Base Salary Public Relations and Media Fees Total
January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011 $350,000* $1,150,000 $1,500,000
January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012 $375,000 $1,225,000 $1,600,000
January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013 $400,000 $1,300,000 $1,700,000
January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014 $425,000 $1,375,000 $1,800,000
January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015 $450,000 $1,450,000 $1,900,000

* - Annualized

NOTE: No General Fund (state tax dollars) or tuition monies were used to provide any of the resources for this contract. The Division of Athletics at the University of Connecticut is an Auxiliary Service Fund entity and the sources of revenue include: gate receipts, private fundraising, corporate partnerships, television/radio rights, BIG EAST Conference revenues and NCAA revenues.

AUTOMOBILE ALLOWANCE: The Coach will receive an annual car allowance in the amount of $15,000 to be paid on a bi-weekly basis.

SUMMER CAMPS/CLINICS: The Coach may organize and direct football camps or clinics utilizing University dormitories, dining halls, athletics facilities and other campus facilities, at the rates and fees published by the University's Conference Services Office. Coach Pasqualoni may also organize and direct football camps or clinics located off the University's campus, subject to NCAA regulations. All camps and clinics run by the Coach shall be owned and operated by the Coach.

ENDORSEMENT CONTRACTS: Any consulting, endorsement or outside income activity performed by the Coach is allowed within the established guidelines of the University, the NCAA and the Code of Ethics for Public Officials, as interpreted by the Office of State Ethics of the State of Connecticut. Any consulting, endorsement or outside income activity is subject to the approval of the Director of Athletics in accordance with the University's agreement with IMG College.

TICKETS: The University will provide the Coach with twenty (20) tickets in a suite and five (5) parking passes for personal use for all home football games at Rentschler Field. The Coach will be responsible for all costs associated with food and beverage service in the suite and no such costs shall be regarded as subject to reimbursement. The University will also provide the Coach with purchase privileges for up to twenty (20) tickets for all home football games at Rentschler Field. The University will also provide the Coach with twenty (20) tickets for discretionary use for all away and postseason away football games. The University will also provide the Coach with purchase privileges for additional tickets to away and postseason football games based upon the available inventory. The Coach will also be entitled to received four (4) tickets and two (2) parking passes for all home men's and women's basketball games.

COMPENSATION FOR SERVICES AND PERFORMANCE: The Coach will receive one non-cumulative payment equivalent to one (1) month of base salary for participation in a non-BCS bowl game or $100,000 for participation in a BCS bowl game. He will receive one-half of one month of base salary for selection as National Coach of the Year or one-quarter of one month of base salary for selection as BIG EAST Coach of the Year.

BUYOUT: If the Coach accepts a position as a Head Coach of football at an NCAA institution, or as a Head Coach in any professional football league, the following shall be due to the University from the Coach.

January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011 $1,200,000
January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012 $1,000,000
January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013 $500,000
January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014 $400,000
January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015 $250,000
In the event that the University terminates the contract for any other reason than just cause as defined by the contract, the Coach shall be entitled to continue to receive the following payment in full satisfaction of the University's obligation to the Coach.

January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011 $1,250,000
January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013 $750,000
January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014 $600,000
January 1, 2015-August 1, 2015 $400,000

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

In flourescent yellow, no doubt.

Reaction Score
Kevin here is P's contract from UConn Athletic web site...his buyout as of 1/1/13 is $750,000
as of 1/1/14 $600,000
where did you get the $1.75 million from?

In the event that the University terminates the contract for any other reason than just cause as defined by the contract, the Coach shall be entitled to continue to receive the following payment in full satisfaction of the University's obligation to the Coach.

January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011 $1,250,000
January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013 $750,000
January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014 $600,000
January 1, 2015-August 1, 2015 $400,000

HCPP gets each of the amounts for 2013-2015 if he is terminated 1/1/13.

Reaction Score
HCPP gets each of the amounts for 2013-2015 if he is terminated 1/1/13.
So if he leaves like Edsall did he owes UConn $1.15 million? When Edsall left his contract stated his buyout was $300,000 if I'm not mistaken. I don't think P's termination buyout is the collective sum of the 3 years...that would be stupid...but then again Hathaway gave P this contract so anything is possible.

Reaction Score

Incredibly defeatest attitude to concede losses to a Michigan team that won't have Dennard Robinson, and a Maryland team coached by Edsall. We won't know the TV dollars till the contract is up. I do agree that you're going to see some disinterest in seeing SMU, Houston, and UCF coming to The REnt instead of PITT, SU, and WVU, but play exciting, winning football, and the fans will come.

Reaction Score
This administration will be far more proactive on every front than our lame duck followed by an I can't wait to get back to the midwest followed a return of the lame duck presidents/AD who felt his only responsibility was to drive to work.

I would be amazed if there is a change (or even an announcement of displeasure) during the season but I would wager heavily that regardless of how we finish the season, there will be meetings (likely beginning within the next few weeks) to fully assess where we are, where we are headed, where the administration wants us to be and how to get there.

I doubt that we will ever again be in a situation where those on top would rather not make a decision. Whether he remains or is dismissed, PP's future will be the result of a what those in charge believe is correct, not what they believe is easiest.

Excellent observation. Hogan didn't give a about this university. His wife hated it here. He was a bad hire culturally. If you have ever been to Urbana-Champaign (I have) you wonder how anyone could prefer that over New England.

And Austin really was just punching his time card the second time around.

It's tough when interviewing people to verify the veracity of claims about how excited they are if they got the new position when in reality they're using it as a launchpad to something else. Hogan really must have lied through his teeth and the day he was hired here started circulating his resume to schools back in the midwest.

I just get the idea things are different with Herbst.

I just learned a new 1.2 million sq ft technology park is finally being built behind the Jungle. They were talking about this in the early 80s. Maybe the spade work was being done under Austin and Hogan but the fact is the shovels are going in under Herbst. I really like this lady. I think she is going to do great things for this school.

As you mention prudent hiring will be one of her signatures because she does realize the importance of athletic success in helping the academic standing the university. Confining Ollie's employment to one year as someone mentioned in this thread is a good start. I really resent Calhoun ramming through Ollie's candidacy just because he wanted him. Calhoun has a say in hiring his replacement but not a complete say.

How anyone can be comfortable turning one of the five elite college basketball programs over to a person with absolutely no head coaching experience is mind boggling. Maybe he will be a huge success. We're sure gonna find out. Apparently Herbst sees it the same way.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
. Confining Ollie's employment to one year as someone mentioned in this thread is a good start. I really resent Calhoun ramming through Ollie's candidacy just because he wanted him. Calhoun has a say in hiring his replacement but not a complete say.

How anyone can be comfortable turning one of the five elite college basketball programs over to a person with absolutely no head coaching experience is mind boggling. Maybe he will be a huge success. We're sure gonna find out. Apparently Herbst sees it the same way.

I have heard this sentiment a lot on the basketball forum, and I just want to ask this; if we are hiring a basketball coach, wouldn't we want to consult a savvy basketball person as to whom the best hire would be? Does the University of Connecticut have better basketball people than Calhoun and Auriemma, both of whom have given Kevin Ollie two thumbs up? (apparently the only thing that those two guys have ever agreed on). Also, isn't it something that a former coach like Larry Brown is also singing his praises?

I don't know. Will Kevin Ollie work out? I hope so. But what I do know is that I want basketball people making that decision, not administrators who don't know the difference between a 2-3 zone and a construction zone, that's all I'm saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom