OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
MNT plays tonight.....just sayin'. :cool:

I think they are going to rest a lot of players since their position in the knockout stage is not a big deal. I guess as long as Pulisic plays, I would watch.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here is my prediction US 55% France 45% chance of winning. What's yours?

I am not as optimistic. I give US only a 30% chance of advancing. Hope I am wrong.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Here is my prediction US 55% France 45% chance of winning. What's yours?
I am not as optimistic. I give US only a 30% chance of advancing. Hope I am wrong.
I'd probably go 55%-45% too, but to France's favor. It would be nice to be wrong.

Reaction Score
Betting lines essentially give the U.S. a 46.5% chance to win the game, while France is given a 29.4% chance of a win. There is a 24.1% probability of a draw according to the betting line.

The odds, of course, don't mean much since I'm sure there are more people just blindly betting the U.S. - which changes the line. I view it as a 50/50 game. I haven't done enough research to predict who is more likely to advance should the game end in a draw.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I worry about our goal tending and back line. And our front 3 have not been great either. Our mid field has been impressive imho. Anyhow, crossing my fingers and toes and eyes

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Overall the U.S. has been better than France in this tournament. Both teams have flashed moments of brilliance but also have looked vulnerable at times. In one game anything can happen, but the U.S. still must be considered the favorite.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I worry about our goal tending and back line. And our front 3 have not been great either. Our mid field has been impressive imho. Anyhow, crossing my fingers and toes and eyes
Agreed. The US's midfield is the speediest and keeps their foot well on the ball. If the US is going to win the midfielders will need to step forward more and either score or be direct facilitators. Also if the refs don't assert themselves early and allow Morgan to get mauled it's going to be a tough day. Heath is going to have to take the pressure off the left side and score as well.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think they are going to rest a lot of players since their position in the knockout stage is not a big deal. I guess as long as Pulisic plays, I would watch.

I think the entire 2nd unit is being used. I expect a very ugly game. The USMNT is not good enough to totally ignore the need for consistency and confidence building. :mad:

On the other hand, Panama has 9 changes. Feel bad for the fans.

Reaction Score
Game day. Hope Alex Morgan is OK. She was pretty beat up by the Spain defenders. Rapinoe looked tired. Alyssa Naeher cannot afford any blunder. Lindsay Horan was well rested. Mewis and Lavelled will have a great game. France has not won anything lately. The French men are the world champions and the women are getting much better. Do not under estimate the heart of champions. They know it's a big game and they know how to handle pressure. I am still optimistic and think we will win!!!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

And so, the second-guessing (for this game) of Ellis has already begun.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As well it should.

87715dc2fe115e363475ad119a9ad98fd661431de0a9ae0f3ee510c182d0da07.jpg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Rapinoe scores on a very well designed corner in the 5'. US up 1-0. :D:D:D

Basically the whole team screened the goalie so she could not see a thing and the goal was untouched.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Do they keep track of the number of flops that these players take? Is it an official stat? I thought that the US/Spain game was bad, but so far this game is keeping it up...

Reaction Score
Do they keep track of the number of flops that these players take? Is it an official stat? I thought that the US/Spain game was bad, but so far this game is keeping it up...

A few flops to be sure - but far more real fouls.

Reaction Score

Tough decision for Ellis (who I rarely defend). She has four really good midfielders but can only play three. Mewis played well vs Spain. Abit faster than Horan but not as good technically. I assume we will see Horan at about the 65' mark.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US wins 2-1. Ellis opened my eyes. Very disciplined team. Especially on the defensive line which I never thought I would see. Good defensive game plan and held their lines really well. Lavelle did not have it but it did not hurt us.

I would start thinking of putting Carli Lloyd in on top. Morgan / Heath not really doing much up front.

I feel much better about the England matchup. Good bracket to the finals.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
US wins 2-1. Ellis opened my eyes. Very disciplined team. Especially on the defensive line which I never thought I would see. Good defensive game plan and held their lines really well. Lavelle did not have it but it did not hurt us.

I would start thinking of putting Carli Lloyd in on top. Morgan / Heath not really doing much up front.

I feel much better about the England matchup. Good bracket to the finals.
Agree with your take on Ellis’s strategy, but it only works if you get out in front and stay in front, which the US did for 85 minutes. Whatever people think of her, Rapinoe is a big game player, much the same as her partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom