WVU beat Sims, and her teammates. | The Boneyard

WVU beat Sims, and her teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Sims took 30 shots and scored 39 points, but WVU won the game.

Maybe Odyssey's ten TO's were a factor.

Such a great talent, going to waste.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Still the Od's on favorite to be Baylor's POY, though Nina Davis does deserve consideration with her 9.3 rpg and her 60% FG%.

Reaction Score
Why not just name the thread West Virginia beats Baylor, or even West Virginia wins the big 12? Was the reason of this post to criticize sims, or congratulate WVU for winning? Just curious

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's interesting - Baylor is much better than I thought this year. It's clear, though, that it's mostly the Odyssey Simms show, every day, all the time, 100%. BUT it does take 5 players to play on the court and defend the other team. And offensively, it appears Mulkey is ok with Simms taking an overwhelming majority of the shots. I have no idea if Sims is the kind of talent like EDD who will take the WNBA by storm, or more like Diggins who will struggle with the transition to the pro game.

BUT, there's no denying that she's a force for Baylor and in the college scene. I'd be really curious to see how good Baylor would be if Sims took a lot less shots and Baylor played more team offense. I'm not sure they would be any better. But unfortunately we will likely never really know the answer...

Either way congrats to WVU. Really good win, and talk about a team who came from nowhere this season. Busie always had a ton of potential after seeing her shine in the Big East, and Holmes is a really good player who UCONN let slip away because I think they had other priorities. I'm really glad for Carey as he continues to have success. I think the future is very bright in Morgantown...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Sims will pan out well in the WNBA. It's very interesting watching her play this year because she usually isn't as shot happy as this year. Even dating back to her high school days playing along side Alexis Jones, lex did more of the scoring while sims did more playmaking. I think this year we're seeing more of Kim demanding Odyssesy to be the scorer.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Why not just name the thread West Virginia beats Baylor, or even West Virginia wins the big 12? Was the reason of this post to criticize sims, or congratulate WVU for winning? Just curious
to show how not great Sims is...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You could also add in that on 8 other times Sims was fouled while shooting to get two FTAs, while the same happened 5 times for teammates. So Sims effectively took 38 shots and her teammates took 26.

As has been noted many times, the problem with the Baylor strategy is that it is so one-dimensional and teams can concentrate their defensive efforts on her in a way that produces 10 TOs while limiting her assists. Yesterday's 4 assists aren't that bad, but it was below her season's average of 5+ and is a pretty low number for a player who is finishing on 60% of her team's plays.

What is not known is whether Sims would have had fewer TOs and her teammates would have shot a higher percentage if she was making a much greater effort to get them involved in the offense and feeding them for high percentage shots when the defense collapses on her. OTOH, if the teammates had an off shooting day, maybe she lost some assists. Lot of guesses and no certain answers.

It just seems that Baylor is more effective if, as in the previous game against OK when they scored 96 points, Sims is getting closer to around 35% of the team's shots and dishing the ball effectively to teammates and keeping the opponent guessing. She still got 38 points against OK and they won, while yesterday she got 39 and they lost.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It just seems that Baylor is more effective if, as in the previous game against OK when they scored 96 points, Sims is getting closer to around 35% of the team's shots and dishing the ball effectively to teammates and keeping the opponent guessing. She still got 38 points against OK and they won, while yesterday she got 39 and they lost.

Ideally yes, but OK is very weak defensively so there were probably a lot more opportunities for her teammates to score in that game as compared to a game against a tougher defensive opponent like WVA. Plus, Sims is not exactly surrounded by a great cast this year. She is giving her team its best chance to win and I'm sure with Mulkey's blessing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I do not think that Sims teammates are bad at all. I was rather impressed by the freshmen. I think the second half of the UCONN game they showed quite admirably what they were capable of both when Sims was on the court and attmepted to involve (unlike the first half) and when she was off the court and they brought the score tight late into the second half. Freshmen you are dependiong on only get better when you put them into a position to succeed. I do not think in the games I have seen that Sims did that very well tending to lean too much on her skills for better or worse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is Sims great? That's debatable but she sure is hell is the best point guard in the nation, and shes proved that her entire collegiate career. Sims game isn't necessarily a scorer, but more of a play maker. I seriously doubt she will shoot 20+ shots a game in the WNBA.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
IMO the "best point guard in the nation" does not turn the ball over 10 times in one game.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Not so, DC.

The title I gave this thread was intended to convey the message that, "If you beat Sims, you will beat Baylor." Her greatness as a player is beyond doubt. Mulkey's strategy (Sims keep shooting, everyone else just watch or go for the rebound) is IMO questionable. I expect that in the upcoming tournaments (B12 and NCAA), any team that beats Baylor (at least one) will do so by focusing intensely on limiting Sims's production.

And when all is said and done, Sims will be one of the first four WNBA draft picks (Ogwumike, McBride and Dolson will be the other three).

Reaction Score
IMO the "best point guard in the nation" does not turn the ball over 10 times in one game.
I agree completely. If Mulkey changed her game plan I think Sims turnovers would decrease. Sims gets the edge as the best point guard in the nation because her ability to change the game offensively and especially defensively. There's only one other point guard I've seen this year that displays the ball hawking D that Sims has, and we all know who that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom