WTIC's Arnold Dean passes away | The Boneyard

WTIC's Arnold Dean passes away

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Comment from UConn Women’s Coach Geno Auriemma:

“Arnold is a reminder of an earlier age when gentlemen reporters were the norm. I had great respect for the work he did and more importantly for the person that he was. He was and always will be the Dean of Connecticut sports.”

LINK

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
The first time I met Arnold was at a supermarket in Rocky Hill by the ice cream section.

I went up to him and said how I listened to him on WTIC all the time and how I hadnt been this excited about sports since the 1986 Red Sox.

He looked at me and said "Really? Why?"

The day just happened to be April 2nd, 1995.

When he realized I was UConn fan, he totally understood. Will miss him very much. Bob Steele and Arnold Dean were my 2 favorite radio personalities of all time.

Reaction Score
I worked indirectly with an attorney at my company. His name was Arnie D'Angelo. It was years before I found out that this was Arnold Dean's son. His son was a very likeable, down-to-earth guy, much like all the reports I have heard of his father.

Arnold Dean WAS local radio sports when I first started listening. While I didn't always agree with his comments, when he took calls, he had a way of disagreeing with the caller that made them feel like they were heard and their opinion matters even if he didn't share it. Unlike another sports commentator currently on the WTIC airwaves who can be downright rude when disagreeing with an opposing view.

RIP, Mr. D'Angelo - other wise know as "The Dean" of sports, Arnold Dean.

Reaction Score
Comment from UConn Women’s Coach Geno Auriemma:

“Arnold is a reminder of an earlier age when gentlemen reporters were the norm. I had great respect for the work he did and more importantly for the person that he was. He was and always will be the Dean of Connecticut sports.”

LINK
Sad news indeed. I was once a faithful listener back in the day when I was a die hard Red Sox fan (late 70's, most of the 80's). He was enjoyable to listen to. Neve got wound up like Fat Mike and the Mad Dog on WFAN. Much more low key but but very knowlegeable. Both he and Bob Steele were icons on WTIC. He will be missed.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I met him for the first time in November. I've been a long time listener, and admirer so I made a point to go up to him, shake his hand and thank him. While obviously not a young man, I was stunned to hear the news, as he seemed to be fine at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom