WTIC Broadcast Range? | The Boneyard

WTIC Broadcast Range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Will be in southern Maine on the day we play Penn State. Does anyone know if WTIC's broadcast range reaches as far as that? I know they are a 50,000 watt clear channel station, but cannot find their broadcast map on their website. Hoping one of our far-flung bretheren can help me out with this....Thanks!

Reaction Score
I've lost the signal when I was on the Mass Pike mid way between Springfield and Boston. I would really be surprised if the signal reaches any part of Maine.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I listened to games on WTIC when I lived in MD. That said, I couldn't pick it up at my house, I had to go for a drive, and find a spot where it would come in.

However, that was in the evening. I wouldn't expect it to be possible during the day.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not likely - I lose it not far from the CT border when heading to Boston. I would say ME is out.

Reaction Score
This question takes me back a number of years. For a period of time I lived in suburban Philly, and despaired of listening to UConn women's basketball. I bought a ham radio receiver (one that was powerful and could pick up the regular broadcast bands as well and amateur bands, and strung antenna wire around the walls of my bedroom. Most game nights, I did okay with the reception.

I'm guessing you'd have to have a damn good radio to pick it up in Maine.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the WTIC audio will not be streamed on the wtic website. They are produced by another company who owns the rights. You can pay to stream the games from the UConn athletics site, though...

Reaction Score
Unless the weather is bad, I can get WTIC on the Eastern Shore of Maryland in the evenings. I can also pick it up in the summer after sundown in the southern Adirondacks of NY.

Also, does the campus station broadcast the games these days? I used to get it online once in a while.

Reaction Score
Unless the weather is bad, I can get WTIC on the Eastern Shore of Maryland in the evenings. I can also pick it up in the summer after sundown in the southern Adirondacks of NY.

Also, does the campus station broadcast the games these days? I used to get it online once in a while.

WHUS broadcast plenty of UConn sports, including women's basketball games. The station does broadcast over the internet. However, on the tentative schedule posted on their website, the Penn State game is not on it.

Here's the link to their broadcast schedule: http://www.whus.org/events.cfm

Reaction Score
What WCBB team in the US has so many that want to listen and watch this UCONN team. I think its awesome........Go UCONN!!!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tom Yawkee used to listen to Sox games on TIC when he was in South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I have gotten WTIC in Maine. Usually lose it Between Kittery and Ogunquit. The signal is not strong, but has been understandable.

Reaction Score
Will be in southern Maine on the day we play Penn State. Does anyone know if WTIC's broadcast range reaches as far as that? I know they are a 50,000 watt clear channel station, but cannot find their broadcast map on their website. Hoping one of our far-flung bretheren can help me out with this....Thanks!

You’ll be out of luck in Maine. I don’t even get it and I live in Connecticut.
There is a useful website formerly known as the MIT Radio Locator that geeks like me sometime visit – it has the day and night footprints for radio stations including WTIC:
WTIC_AM_LD.gif

Radio is actually a complicated and sometimes fascinating thing – while Phil was listening to WTIC in Maryland, I used to listen to the old WTOP (Washington DC) at night growing up in Stamford - but only late at night, and only sometimes. Without getting too distracted, the key for situations like that where you hear a radio station much much farther than you should be able to is something known as atmospheric (or ionospheric) ducting – and it only happens at night. Since the Penn State game is at noon, you’re out of luck – it just won’t happen during the day, and WTIC doesn’t have the range to reach up into Maine.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
From a rep at WTIT - "WTIC radio is in year 2 of a 5 year deal with IMG. So again, WTIC can’t stream any game or Coach’s Show for Football, MBB and WBB. They have to go to UConnHuskies.com and The All Access Page. And yes, pay for it."

JS

Reaction Score
What WCBB team in the US has so many that want to listen and watch this UCONN team.
They all do. They just won't admit it.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Can't get it in NH...though if someone in Hartford were so inclined, they could pick up the signal and share it....kind of like putting the phone next to the radio speaker only with better quality. Not that I approve of that sort of thing.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Thank you, all! I knew you folks would give me the info I needed! We will be driving, so was hoping for radio reception. But I will check the game thread when we get to our destination and see how it all went down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom