Wrong Track | The Boneyard

Wrong Track

Reaction Score
I have read with interest on this site about the possible need of the UConn women's team for a sports psychologist. I think UConn definitely needs one, and the person who should take on that role is the head coach. It seems that when we play a lesser talented team we perform much more relaxed and enjoy the game, but when we play a team of comparable talent we don't. My perception is that the team then plays up tight and is fearful of losing, rather than playing out of enjoyment. If Geno's conversations in private with his team are as critical and sarcastic as they are when he is interviewed after the games, then I can well understand why the team tightens up and plays poorly. Lately, I have heard Geno say in his interviews that the team played "shi---." That is a real turnoff for me. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that style and language even if the team were playing overwhelmingly well. If we as fans are hurting when we loses, imagine how the team feels when they get that kind of response in public interviews after the games.
I have followed with interest not only UConn but several other top quality women's teams. I have never heard any of the coaches of those other teams describe their players in such a harsh manner, at least not in public. Consequently, the players from those other teams that are interviewed seem relaxed and happy while they're playing, whether they're winning or losing.
I am well aware of UConn's 11 national championships, and I have admiration for Geno and the players on his teams. I would only raise the question of should what worked for those teams be used now, or are some changes in coaching style advisable now, since it has been five years since UConn played in a championship game.
I realize there have been extenuating circumstances for the past two years. For me, however, such circumstances make it even more important that the players receive encouragement rather than harsh criticism. While the "UConn standard" is revered, are we heading to the point where virtually no one will meet that standard?
One other matter. As I understand, playing time in games is determined, at least largely, by how well one performs in practice. Last year, I recall a game in which UConn was ahead by 40 points, yet the two substitutes weren't allowed to enter the game until 1:28 was left in the game. In contrast, several other highly respected teams played nine or 10 players in recent Final Fours. When a substitute player makes a shot, the starting players observing them are demonstrably happy that their teammates have had the opportunity to participate. When a team is 40 points ahead, is that not enough to give the substitutes in game experience, which is vastly different from practice time.
I hope these matters will be addressed in a positive manner. I'm a long term, die hard UConn fan, and I have the utmost respect for the talent and work ethic of the players and the incomparable knowledge of the game that Geno has.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
I have read with interest on this site about the possible need of the UConn women's team for a sports psychologist. I think UConn definitely needs one, and the person who should take on that role is the head coach.
You lost me after the first two sentences. You're downplaying what psychologists do as if anyone can do what they're doing.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I have read with interest on this site about the possible need of the UConn women's team for a sports psychologist. I think UConn definitely needs one, and the person who should take on that role is the head coach.
And if the coach needs help?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You lost me after the first two sentences. You're downplaying what psychologists do as if anyone can do what they're doing.
That person is clearly not a Ted Lasso viewer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom