Wowza - Ayanna! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wowza - Ayanna!

Reaction Score

(From post #98 in February recruiting thread)
Certainly a high-flier.. Should be interesting/ entertaining!

From her Instagram..
Screenshot_20220207-131155_Instagram.jpg

Reaction Score
I really, really hate to compare a woman to a man when it is about athletic ability buuuuuut, darn she reminds of David Thompson with that jumping ability. And Dr. J when I saw him at UMass.
I saw Dr J in the Uconn Field house. As a student he was all they say. Uconn had some pretty good Yankee Conf players , Dr J was in another league and I didn't like it at all.

Reaction Score
It's a shame that UConn's recruiting has been so terrible the last few years.
I hope Geno still has his passport, we need a BIG BIG---BIG. 6 ft 9.5 in (I'm putting in my order).

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
DUNKING: another way to get injured!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I hope Geno still has his passport, we need a BIG BIG---BIG. 6 ft 9.5 in (I'm putting in my order).
Better start petitioning zygotes.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
Dunks belong on the Men's board(or high jumping at a track meet).
This is such a backwards take. The game and the players evolves whether you like it or not. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future, through better nutrition and/or better training, women dunking would be more common.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I really, really hate to compare a woman to a man when it is about athletic ability buuuuuut, darn she reminds of David Thompson with that jumping ability. And Dr. J when I saw him at UMass.
I was at the garden when, for the first time in regular season play, David Thompson faced the NY Knicks and Walt Frazier. If memory serves, the Nuggets won the tip, David got the ball, ran down the court and dunked on Walt. Walt went on to score, I believe, 36 points, about 8 assists and 6 rebounds. Not in my house and not tonight rookie. David did however have that 44 inch vertical, and his first step was lightning. I just hope Ayanna has a mid range jumper to keep defenders honest.

Reaction Score
I don't know what her verticle is, but it looks like she's still ascending.
you do the math........:eek:

The gender gap in vertical leaping ability is also substantial. The average female college basketball player has a vertical leap of approximately 19 inches, compared with more than 28 inches for the average male player. Since you have to get your fingers about 6 inches above the rim to have a chance at dunking, a female player of average leaping ability would have to be around 6-foot-6 with a standing reach of 8-foot-11”—the approximate measurements for Michael Jordan. (His Airness reportedly had a 48-inch vertical leap.) Few female players are that tall, and none of those giants is an exceptional leaper.

Reaction Score

The gender gap in vertical leaping ability is also substantial. The average female college basketball player has a vertical leap of approximately 19 inches, compared with more than 28 inches for the average male player. Since you have to get your fingers about 6 inches above the rim to have a chance at dunking, a female player of average leaping ability would have to be around 6-foot-6 with a standing reach of 8-foot-11”—the approximate measurements for Michael Jordan. (His Airness reportedly had a 48-inch vertical leap.) Few female players are that tall, and none of those giants is an exceptional leaper.
Yet!

Reaction Score
If you watch a lot of the women they tend to jump from 2 feet instead of one. Tall girls are often taught to grab the ball and hold it above their heads so the shorter girls can't get it so they get in the habit of reaching for it instead of jumping. I've coached a lot of girls and women high jumpers and in my experience I have to start out very basic to get them to understand why one foot jumping is better and how to drive the off leg to produce the upward momentum. Trust me it is not genetic, it is environmental for leaping ability. Height is a different animal :D. A 6'2" girl with good quickness and bounce can be trained to dunk. They need to have hands big enough to palm the ball though. Gabby could dunk a volleyball but couldn't hold the basketball out to dunk it. Stewie at 6'4 could easily. If dunking was a more desired thing a lot more young women would work to do it. (I have to admit I hope it doesn't become a coveted thing!)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If you watch a lot of the women they tend to jump from 2 feet instead of one. Tall girls are often taught to grab the ball and hold it above their heads so the shorter girls can't get it so they get in the habit of reaching for it instead of jumping. I've coached a lot of girls and women high jumpers and in my experience I have to start out very basic to get them to understand why one foot jumping is better and how to drive the off leg to produce the upward momentum. Trust me it is not genetic, it is environmental for leaping ability. Height is a different animal :D. A 6'2" girl with good quickness and bounce can be trained to dunk. They need to have hands big enough to palm the ball though. Gabby could dunk a volleyball but couldn't hold the basketball out to dunk it. Stewie at 6'4 could easily. If dunking was a more desired thing a lot more young women would work to do it. (I have to admit I hope it doesn't become a coveted thing!)
Enjoyed your informative post.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If you look at Nan's post (#12), it sure looks like she's a two-footed jumper to me. In addition to a two-handed dunker, a beautiful symmetry.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

That seems low. My daughter’s vertical was 27”. She was a decent player but not a high major level player. Got a lot of blocks though.

Reaction Score
If you look at Nan's post (#12), it sure looks like she's a two-footed jumper to me. In addition to a two-handed dunker, a beautiful symmetry.
I did and that was part of my thoughts. It is fine to show her ups that way and I would only be concerned if she tried to dunk like that when in motion during a game. This is part of my concern when the players stand still with their hands in the air. Fine to try to not get a foul call but a terrible position to try to jump for a rebound as it gives no momentum into the effort. I used layup drills with my high jumpers to get the proper motion into a jump. Run, gather, explode off left foot (if right handed), drive right knee up and into the mat, right hand up like doing a layup, land on mat on right foot. The mats were usually about 24" high and all the jumpers (girls/women included) could land on them easily after getting the technique. I MAY have used the analogy of being in a fight you had to win and were kneeing your opponent in an area that would complete that job :D.

Reaction Score
I could get run over by a car crossing the street, fall down the stairs, or slip on a newly waxed floor.
Seriously! Thank you for responding. Someone is a cranky misogynist this morning. :cool:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Seriously! Thank you for responding. Someone is a cranky misogynist this morning. :cool:
Not a misogynist, just someone who enjoyed the way the game was played in the past and prefers that style of play. However, evolution has made women taller and stronger and allowed them to change the way athletics are played. Not everyone embraces change.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I saw Dr J in the Uconn Field house. As a student he was all they say. Uconn had some pretty good Yankee Conf players , Dr J was in another league and I didn't like it at all.
My uncle took my cousins and me to see UMass and UConn at the Field-house. Admittedly, I didn't realize at the time the legend I was watching. Just a really good player with a "funny name". :)

My friends and I used to sneek into the Field-house to play basketball when the weather was bad. Only problem was if it was raining or snowy, the roof leaked. I remember playing with buckets on the court to catch the drips.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I was at the garden when, for the first time in regular season play, David Thompson faced the NY Knicks and Walt Frazier. If memory serves, the Nuggets won the tip, David got the ball, ran down the court and dunked on Walt. Walt went on to score, I believe, 36 points, about 8 assists and 6 rebounds. Not in my house and not tonight rookie. David did however have that 44 inch vertical, and his first step was lightning. I just hope Ayanna has a mid range jumper to keep defenders honest.
I went to SIU when Frazier was the big star on the best team in the country, at that time dunking was against the rules. Dunk in warmups or in a game and it was an automatic technical foul and no basket. Frazier did not have the physical gifts like David Thompson did, he did have an amazing BB IQ much liked Paige. There are some who are more physically gifted than Paige, but which one of them would you pick over her, or in his day Walt?
With our incoming physical wonderkid, if she has half the BB IQ Paige has, we are in for a high-flying ariel circus, I can hardly wait.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom