Wow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wow

Reaction Score
Let’s see, 19-2 after losing to two teams ranked No. 1. Oh, woe is us! The sky is falling. Exchange their UConn blue unis for gray sack cloth. Sew a scarlet “L” for loser on their jerseys. Look the other way when they approach. Wait—did you say 19-2?

Reaction Score
Some people on here don't remember the dark times. Losing a couple games a season is nothing. Try living through seasons of 25-8 (Sweet 16), 32-5 (Elite 8) and 32-4 (Elite 8), all in a row. :eek:

Meyers7, I understand your point and remember those years well. It provides a useful historical perspective. But let's step back for a minute and look at what you wrote. The "dark times" for UConn is an 84% winning percentage and two Elite Eight appearances over three years. For the vast, vast majority of programs that would qualify as the "glory years." I'll bet that Notre Dame and Tennessee would sign up for that right now.

Reaction Score
So we should stop being fans? We should stop hoping for improvement? What’s your point?

William of Orange famously said "one need not hope in order to undertake nor succeed in order to persevere."

YMMV, but I do not read Hoopsfan22's post as a uggestion that we stop being fans or stop hoping for improvement. It seems like the sort of thing Geno himself would say (and has said): that there probably won't be any seismic shift. Like Geno, Hoopsfan22 doesn't forsee a change. That doesn't mean we shouldn't hope for one.

I hope for world peace (as did William of Orange) but I'm not terribly optimistic at the moment, even though I hope for it and will continue to try to work for it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
William of Orange famously said "one need not hope in order to undertake nor succeed in order to persevere."

YMMV, but I do not read Hoopsfan22's post as a uggestion that we stop being fans or stop hoping for improvement. It seems like the sort of thing Geno himself would say (and has said): that there probably won't be any seismic shift. Like Geno, Hoopsfan22 doesn't forsee a change. That doesn't mean we shouldn't hope for one.

I hope for world peace (as did William of Orange) but I'm not terribly optimistic at the moment, even though I hope for it and will continue to try to work for it.
Sorry but no. There are 2,000 threads moaning and groaning about the game, the players, the coach, about everything, but hoopsfan had to come pee on one of the few upbeat threads. Why?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The loss to Oregon was eerily similar to the Sweet 16 loss to Iowa State. That was the team with Svet, #1 ranked Shea, #1 Tamika, Asjha, and Swin et al. Both losses give me the heebie jeebies to recall but it seems to me those players turned out ok, even after the Boneyard declared Svet and Shea awful players for going something like 3-20

On edit: Svet and Shea were a combined 5-29
Yea, that was a god-awful game.

Reactions: mmt

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers7, I understand your point and remember those years well. It provides a useful historical perspective. But let's step back for a minute and look at what you wrote. The "dark times" for UConn is an 84% winning percentage and two Elite Eight appearances over three years. For the vast, vast majority of programs that would qualify as the "glory years." I'll bet that Notre Dame and Tennessee would sign up for that right now.
Exactly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Love the Voltron reference. 5 interlocking lions. Very apropos.
1580931128126.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was thinking of the children cartoons only. They made a cinema version? :eek:
I think they may have, but your quote was close to a line from the movie Deadpool, so I thought that that was what you were referencing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think they may have, but your quote was close to a line from the movie Deadpool, so I thought that that was what you were referencing.

Oh. That sums up my contemporary movie knowledge. :oops:

Reaction Score
I'd hoped this team would be better by now, but it is what it is. They effectively have about 6.5 players. There's no room for error. Three players carry most of the scoring. One of them is off, the game is more competitive, two are off (as last night), the game will be trouble. They have one true big and one athletic wing who's a freshman. If Olivia (as is her wont) gets in foul trouble, the game is more competitive. Aubrey's still learning the offense.

So I'm disappointed but not distraught, nor surprised. Next year UConn brings on more size and two really good point guards. The team isn't playing pretty this year, but I haven't given up on them. To borrow from Monty Python (eh, eh, nudge, nudge), They're not quite dead yet.
That "eh, eh, nudge, nudge" is really funny Big. I'm still waiting for that dammed parrot I bought to start talking.

Reaction Score
The loss to Oregon was eerily similar to the Sweet 16 loss to Iowa State. That was the team with Svet, #1 ranked Shea, #1 Tamika, Asjha, and Swin et al. Both losses give me the heebie jeebies to recall but it seems to me those players turned out ok, even after the Boneyard declared Svet and Shea awful players for going something like 3-20

On edit: Svet and Shea were a combined 5-29
Ugh I dislike to be reminded of that Iowa State loss. Those 3’s starting to fall on UCONN all of a sudden late in that second half and it couldn’t be countered. 99 was the year though I actually rooted on Tennessee for the 4 peat and my dislike for Duke started. Happy though that Purdue won the title because I felt they really were the best team that year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That "eh, eh, nudge, nudge" is really funny Big. I'm still waiting for that dammed parrot I bought to start talking.

Is he pining for the fjords?

Reaction Score
Usually teams get on a roll during the season when nobody expects them to. Where the play of the team is running smoothly and it seems like they can do no wrong. When it happens at the end of the year it makes it even more special. The way I see it Uconn has not done that yet. As a Uconn fan I have seen this happen twice and it gave the Mens team 2 NCs that nobody thought would happen. The 2011 team with Kemba and the 2014 team with Shabazz made it happen! You never no so that is why they play the games!

Reaction Score
I don't think the team has proven that they can score consistently enough to win 4 straight against top 16 teams. Not saying it impossible, but very improbable. I expect they'll make the elite 8 and a chance for the final four. Still not a bad year for a relatively young team without an AA. I have a lot more hope for next year, but we'll still be a young team.

You don't think CD is an A/A? Not arguing.

Reaction Score
Some people on here don't remember the dark times. Losing a couple games a season is nothing. Try living through seasons of 25-8 (Sweet 16), 32-5 (Elite 8) and 32-4 (Elite 8), all in a row. :eek:
Ah, yes.....how soon we forget. Lots of losses those years but it was still loads of fun to watch the UConn women play. As Geno has often said, the program is a victim of it's own success.

Reaction Score
You don't think CD is an A/A? Not arguing.
She hasn"t been named an all American yet. She may be. Usually we have an AA that was named in a prior year, so no we don't have an AA on this team.

Reaction Score
I’ve been a Huskies fan for a zillion years!
I for one can’t wait to mark-up my calendar when the schedule is released! Let’s appreciate these gals, heck they are just young women who play their hearts out!
Can’t wait until the Memphis game tonight!
Let’s go Huskies keep the ball movin’

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom