Wow! Stewie's Feelings Regarding Social Media | The Boneyard

Wow! Stewie's Feelings Regarding Social Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Some might feel that this message could go either way.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Social media are the opiates of the young masses.
Social media (to which I selfishly exclude the BY), is a masturbatory addiction. Worse, it is saying and doing the same insipid, mundane things over and over to the same people, tautalogically, hoping desperately for a different result. The sign of a psychotic culture.

Reaction Score
Who cares? Some people are heavier users of social media than others. Doesn't make anyone better than anyone else. Stewie posts regularly on her social media, the other UConn players too.

Reaction Score
Social media (to which I selfishly exclude the BY), is a masturbatory addiction. Worse, it is saying and doing the same insipid, mundane things over and over tautalogically, hoping desperately for a different result. The sign of a psychotic culture.
Poppycock. Social media allows me to watch my nieces and nephews grow up 2000 miles distant. Were it not for Facebook I wouldn't get to do this, or to keep in touch with people I'd never otherwise see. Sure, it can be abused, but to pretend that using it constitutes an "addiction" is as ridiculous as claiming that using email makes me addicted to writing. The fact that you posted that thought on an online message board makes it even more ludicrous.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Poppycock. Social media allows me to watch my nieces and nephews grow up 2000 miles distant. Were it not for Facebook I wouldn't get to do this, or to keep in touch with people I'd never otherwise see. Sure, it can be abused, but to pretend that using it constitutes an "addiction" is as ridiculous as claiming that using email makes me addicted to writing. The fact that you posted that thought on an online message board makes it even more ludicrous.
In my opinion, it's a matter of degree.
Social media can be of great service, as per your example of watching your nieces and nephews. People share parts of their lives and interested parties take it in. That's great.
On the other hand, there are people who post the most mundane parts of everyday living for no apparent reason. "Heading into Stop & Shop to do the weekly shopping." "Wow, it was cold this morning." "This woman in front of me was driving so slow this morning, Ugh..."
And then there are the people who really have few original thoughts and little to say -- so they post "made for social media" snippets, "funny" quotes, etc, just to have a presence.
I have decided to eschew social media. Admittedly, I have some accounts with fake names that I use for "research" before meeting with clients. My experience from using those accounts show me that many people waste a lot of time posting what I consider to be stupid stuff.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not a big "user" of social media - I have a facebook page that I read daily, keeping me informed of the lives of a number of friends I no longer see since we moved. Post almost nothing - maybe once a month?

Use Twitter to follow scores for UofA teams. Don't even have an ID.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I should have said "becomes a masturbatory addiction". Nevertheless, your occasional usage could never be defined as an addiction. Aside from necessary business use, the idea of texting 200x a day, making hundreds of calls to the same people daily, taking hundreds of photos, checking and updating your Facebook account 5,10x a day IS a masturbatory addiction. One can use emails as a way to convey information. Emailing the same people 200x daily is an addiction.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Social media (to which I selfishly exclude the BY), is a masturbatory addiction. Worse, it is saying and doing the same insipid, mundane things over and over to the same people, tautalogically, hoping desperately for a different result. The sign of a psychotic culture.
Nonsense. Social Media is a tool just like a machete. In the hands of a farmer a machete can be used to help feed you, in the hands of a serial killer it could be used to kill. With regards to a masturbatory addiction it can help you with that too- I meant the machete not social media.

Reaction Score
upload_2016-3-16_17-0-39.png

I USE SOCIAL MEDIA!

Reaction Score
What's interesting about social media is how easily a useful form of communication can be abused.

A few years ago, while my daughter was living abroad, a lifelong friend sent me an email (another form of space age communication) excitedly complimenting me on the photos she had taken of an exotic locale. How I wondered did he already see pictures that I hadn't seen? "I saw them on facebook." he told me, and the exciting world of sharing our experiences via the internet opened up immediately for me. Between her photos and Skype, I was able to follow her as she worked and traveled across a continent.

Once on Facebook, I started receiving friend requests and I pretty much accepted them all. Within a few months I was de-friending people, some of whom I have known for years, because I really wasn't interested in silly comments about what their pets were doing, or their opinions on social order.

I continue to check Facebook to follow my kids as they travel and expand their horizons, but it's almost painful to click in each day and then have to wade through the self-centered musings of the realtives and friends that I can't bear to anger by expelling from the screen of my laptop.

Those who have said that social media is only as evil as you make it are right, but I display my old bones to my younger colleagues when I chastise them for texting while being part of a meeting or conversation. Texting is an addiction, and it's hard to look when, while watching a WBB game, the camera scans the crowd and Skylar or Sue are texting instead of watching.

Of course what our heros do is really only their business, I say, as I post a comment on my chosen form of cyber communication.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Social media abused is the new opiate of the masses, not to mention a boon to the osteopaths and chiropractors of the world.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Nonsense. Social Media is a tool just like a machete. In the hands of a farmer a machete can be used to help feed you, in the hands of a serial killer it could be used to kill. With regards to a masturbatory addiction it can help you with that too- I meant the machete not social media.
Everything and anything can be used as a tool. When anything is overused to the point of non-sequitur it is an addiction. This particular addiction, which affects a large amount of the Western world's population is troubling. Certainly a machete is a tool, but when it's used not just as a necessary, occasional or emergency tool but carried around to pick your teeth, shine your shoes, scratch your back, and your main source of amusement it becomes a masturbatory addiction. You think not?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Everything and anything can be used as a tool. When anything is overused to the point of non-sequitur it is an addiction. This particular addiction, which affects a large amount of the Western world's population is troubling. Certainly a machete is a tool, but when it's used not just as a necessary, occasional or emergency tool but carried around to pick your teeth, shine your shoes, scratch your back, and your main source of amusement it becomes a masturbatory addiction. You think not?
I think not!

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think not!
If not, then try taking the cell phone away from one of these abusers and watch their reaction. Then watch their reaction when you return it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Social media abused is the new opiate of the masses, not to mention a boon to the osteopaths and chiropractors of the world.
Something I've been crusading about for some years. I tell those entering college that the jobs in the future will be in the health field. Specifically as you've said osteopaths, chiropractors but also audiologists, ophthalmologists, psychologists, and occupational/physical therapists. It's not an accident that this generation is the first to have shorter lives than the one previous. It's also not an accident that this "social media" generation's literacy levels, social skills and attention spans are vanishingly low. The more we talk the less literate and the less social we have become.

Reaction Score
No attack, simply a question as to why you constantly compare someone's social media addiction to masturbation. I have provided a link to well over 100 known addictions of which it is one but I still find it difficult to understand your connection. http://www.addictionz.com/types-of-addictions/
We had a woman walk off the pier in New London awhile back while texting, ooops. You hear of these mishaps often. I simply have never heard of these types of incidents often with the comparison you make. People sit in cafe's and restaurants with laptops in front of them or staring down at their phone and texting instead of socializing with the ones across from them. A big change in society for sure but their hands are always above the table.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The problem is, some businesses demand using a lot of the social media. It's basically free or inexpensive advertising, reaching people who don't read newspapers or even watch much TV. Some of these things are totally useless and can be worse than that for younger people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom