Wow Really | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wow Really

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I see it the other way, most people will see this game as justification, to bolster their beliefs that the AAC is nothing but a cupcake conference and will dismiss what UConn has done on the court.
AAC is a cupcake conference. Just count the number of past Bids and the non-UConn tourney wins.

That has nothing to do with UConn having dominated all teams from the OOC schedule the past 4 years, they all get that. They just think that the season is a grind for their teams while UConn barely breaks a sweat, which is sort of true.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"Bad for the game"... "I won't watch"... blah, blah, blah... all code for "I wish we could be that good and had Geno and CD coaching our team."

Highest ratings for any college bb game. Men or Women, when they beat a bigger, stronger and highly motivated SC team ("we don't want to be the answer to trivia question of who UCONN beat for #100). Haven't heard last night's ratings, but bet they were pretty darn high too.

When Baylor blows out teams in their conference is that bad for the game? How bout ND, or MD, ... they have blown people out too.

UCONN played a near perfect game on both ends of the court. How can that be bad for the game???

Get over it. Bring the lunch pail, get to work and raise your level of play. That is the only solution... cause UCONN ain't gonna dumb down their play anytime soon, if ever.

Preach brother!!!!! :D

Reaction Score
Tonyc, I was thinking the same thing! I was awestruck at the 150% effort on defense and offense and that they kept the peddle to the metal throughout the first 3 periods only letting up a little bit when the subs came in!
UCONN's rivals could only have been shocked at what UCONN is capable of!
Nobody can bring the effort, defense, offense, attitude, that the Huskies can bring for 40 minutes, NOBODY!

Reaction Score
Geno always said that if his ladies play their "A" game, they will be unbeatable. What made this game remarkable was that it was the third game in three days/nights and they looked as fresh and energized as can be. Last night they played their "A+" game, especially on defense. Matter of fact, on offense too. If they play like throughout the next few games (hopefully six more), the ladies will continue to be Queens of the sport.

Reaction Score
+1
Geno was quoted last night along the lines of team offense (which you state at the end). He said that if Gabby can hit her 15' jumper consistently and if Crystal can play her game consistently, they are unbeatable. So, that's the next challenge that he's throwing at this team. Noteworthy, it was an offensive challenge; I guess he's cool with the defense at this point.
I did chuckle a little at Geno quote, that if one of the top 4 had an off night they might be in trouble. Every team I have watched has trouble finding a third scorer, except N.D. IMO N.D. does not match up well with Uconn. And if Gabby hits the 15' jumper at a 30- 35% clip game over!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
They just think that the season is a grind for their teams while UConn barely breaks a sweat, which is sort of true.

Hope I am not misinterpreting, but you seem to be suggesting UConn has (sort of) breezed through the season. No doubt they have had some easy games, as all of the top teams have.

But I have seen them break a sweat on numerous occasions. They have played most of the top teams in the country, all of whom are desperately out to get them. They are under the spotlight at all times. 32 games with lack of numbers on the bench. Dealing with some injuries. Travel to remote AAC venues. I think you may be minimizing the effort that it has taken to get to this point.

They also happen to have a coach that is on them to play at 100% no matter what the score is. Even yesterday, when things could not have gone much better in the first half, he found reasons to be exasperated. And even when they were up 40 or 50, they were playing as if the score was tied.

Reaction Score
AAC is a cupcake conference. Just count the number of past Bids and the non-UConn tourney wins.

That has nothing to do with UConn having dominated all teams from the OOC schedule the past 4 years, they all get that. They just think that the season is a grind for their teams while UConn barely breaks a sweat, which is sort of true.
Well, then They should invite UConn into their conference so they can beat down UConn during the regular season. Ha ha. :D

Reaction Score
You sure about that?
I first responded thinking you were questioning the "highest rated"... that was ESPN that said that...and it may have only applied to ESPN covered games, not sure, but they reported that.

Maybe your question was "bigger, stronger, highly motivated" South Carolina team??? Look at their roster and you can answer that yourself...at least the bigger part, and Coates and Wilson are most likely stronger than UCONN's players... as for "highly motivated"... that was an assumption, I know I wouldn't want to be the answer to a trivia question as to who UCONN beat for Number 100... how bout you?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Highest ratings for any college bb game. Men or Women, when they beat a bigger, stronger and highly motivated SC team ("we don't want to be the answer to trivia question of who UCONN beat for #100). Haven't heard last night's ratings, but bet they were pretty darn high too.

Not to detract from the subject and no disrespect intended toward @PAHuskeyFan , but...

UConn's win over South Carolina delivered a 0.9 overnight rating.

- At the time, win #100 over South Carolina was the highest-rated college basketball game on ESPN2 this season among men’s and women’s telecasts.
- It was the highest-rated women’s college basketball regular season game since 2010.
- It also tied a Tennessee-Duke game from 2006 as the fourth-highest rated women’s college hoops game across all ESPN networks.

To clarify/correct the boldface text from your post...

- It was NOT the highest rated game on ESPN or the ESPN networks, nor was it the highest ratings for any college bb game (this year or any year; not sure which you were claiming in your post).
- The Duke-UNC game this past weekend was ESPN's most-watched college basketball game of the season, delivering a 2.6 million overnight rating, which is nearly triple the rating for UConn/SC. It ended up being a final 2.4 rating.

As you can see from the attached picture, which lists the ten overall highest rated basketball games this year, UConn-SC is not included, as it did not make the top ten (and was well outside of it - 10th on the list was a 1.5 final rating, while UConn-SC was a 0.9 overnight rating.

And as @triaddukefan correctly guessed, the Duke-UNC game tops the list; both matchups are in the top five.

Attachments

• 2016-2017 BBall Ratings.PNG
    2016-2017 BBall Ratings.PNG
    118.7 KB · Views: 28
Reaction Score
Not to detract from the subject and no disrespect intended toward @PAHuskeyFan , but...

UConn's win over South Carolina delivered a 0.9 overnight rating.

- At the time, win #100 over South Carolina was the highest-rated college basketball game on ESPN2 this season among men’s and women’s telecasts.
- It was the highest-rated women’s college basketball regular season game since 2010.
- It also tied a Tennessee-Duke game from 2006 as the fourth-highest rated women’s college hoops game across all ESPN networks.

To clarify/correct the boldface text from your post...

- It was NOT the highest rated game on ESPN or the ESPN networks, nor was it the highest ratings for any college bb game (this year or any year; not sure which you were claiming in your post).
- The Duke-UNC game this past weekend was ESPN's most-watched college basketball game of the season, delivering a 2.6 million overnight rating, which is nearly triple the rating for UConn/SC. It ended up being a final 2.4 rating.

As you can see from the attached picture, which lists the ten overall highest rated basketball games this year, UConn-SC is not included, as it did not make the top ten (and was well outside of it - 10th on the list was a 1.5 final rating, while UConn-SC was a 0.9 overnight rating.

And as @triaddukefan correctly guessed, the Duke-UNC game tops the list; both matchups are in the top five.
Well OK then... thank you for the "no disrespect" notation...

I got on a roll reacting to the TIRED complaint that UCONN is "bad for the game"... they play to sold out venues...not just in CT... they Raise the level of WBB and basically tell others, if you want to beat us, do the work and improve your TEAM games... And of course we all know, and plenty of people have documented, UCONN does NOT get all the best players. Stephen A Smith was talking about this on an ESPN (maybe ESPN2?) discussion/analysis of UCONN's streak...he said something like, "OK, how many players does UCONN get in a year, 2, 3?? OK, there is a list of the top 100 high school players in America, and 30 or so play in McDonalds AA Game... if UCONN got 2 or 3 of the top 100, even 2 0r 3 of the McDonalds AAs, then what happened to the rest???

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hope I am not misinterpreting, but you seem to be suggesting UConn has (sort of) breezed through the season. No doubt they have had some easy games, as all of the top teams have.

But I have seen them break a sweat on numerous occasions. They have played most of the top teams in the country, all of whom are desperately out to get them. They are under the spotlight at all times. 32 games with lack of numbers on the bench. Dealing with some injuries. Travel to remote AAC venues. I think you may be minimizing the effort that it has taken to get to this point.

They also happen to have a coach that is on them to play at 100% no matter what the score is. Even yesterday, when things could not have gone much better in the first half, he found reasons to be exasperated. And even when they were up 40 or 50, they were playing as if the score was tied.
I am MOST DEFINITELY NOT saying they breezed through the season. I am saying their conference IS WEAK from 2-11. So while it's nice USF, Temple, UCF and Tulane have all made strides, they are still significantly weaker than ANY other conferences 2nd to 5th place teams. That's all I am saying. The UConn does not have much control over that, which is why Geno schedules OOC the way he does.
As far as a P5 invite, why would they invite UConn? The two main Revenue drivers are Men's Basketball and Football. While MCBB has been good, I don't see them as "MUST SEE" tv to warrant inclusion anywhere. As far as football goes, seriously? No college football in NEW ENGLAND will ever contend on the national landscape. While the NYC/Boston corridor has significant value, the revenue sports are not enough to sway. I would love to see them in the Big12 but we need them more than they need us.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
As I watched last night's game I was thinking UCONN was sending a clear and distint message to the other 63 teams whom make the field of 64... that message... "This is who we are... UCONN basketball... are you ready for this?"
Some will say KLS won't go 10 for 10 again.... and maybe not, but she could... ev
When Lou is off,it always seems Napheesa takes over.Forget jumbo jet Gabby and you will pay.On top of that,Kia will have two weeks to get her legs and confidence back.Crystal is improving,and Natalie could be a big surprise.
I would not want my team to be in their bracket.for sure.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I see it the other way, most people will see this game as justification, to bolster their beliefs that the AAC is nothing but a cupcake conference and will dismiss what UConn has done on the court.
That is exactly what we want them all thinking! UConn played some good games at the start of the season but they are just coasting through their conference that is stuffed with DII quality opponents - nothing to see here folks! :cool:

(We want them all to attend their post game pressers with the same look of stunned disbelief that McGraw had after ND lost on their home court - come in brimming with confidence, stumble out broken and crushed. :eek:)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That is exactly what we want them all thinking! UConn played some good games at the start of the season but they are just coasting through their conference that is stuffed with DII quality opponents - nothing to see here folks! :cool:

(We want them all to attend their post game pressers with the same look of stunned disbelief that McGraw had after ND lost on their home court - come in brimming with confidence, stumble out broken and crushed. :eek:)
What you've just said bears repeating. Except perhaps they should also stutter and mumble a bit while staring into space.

Reaction Score
I turned the game off when it was 12-0...then tuned back in briefly to get an update and saw the score was 71-25. UCONN is just in another universe from other teams...but I am sad not to have witnessed KLS's outstanding performance.

But, these continual blowouts are not good for women's basketball; I will watch the sport, regardless of who is playing because I like the game (and at least this year, my favorite team has a dog in the fight) but casual viewers will not be drawn and riveted to women's basketball when one team is so clearly dominant compared to all others. That may change as the NCAAT draws to its conclusion and the potential for "The Streak" coming to an end as UCONN encounters teams that can give them a good game in the final rounds of the Tournament draws those viewers who may not regularly watch but do tune in out of curiosity.

Appreciative of the comment you were "sad to miss/ not witnessed. . . " But . . .

IMO the content of your post is such nonsense.

So Lou hits two 3's in a few minutes and as the avid self-proclaimed fan that you claim-- a 12-0 start -- you must have known UCONN was playing great and turn the game off. After all, why would such an avid fan have any desire to maybe watch a great performance? So instead of watching what might happen, you focus on the 12-0 score. So if the score is so important to you, then it msut mean you're going to miss opportunity after opportunity of potentially seeing Lou do it again and again. so saying that you were supposedly sad is just smoke screen.

You're a fan of close games. You're not really a basketball fan. Otherwise the `12-0 score wouldn't MEAN anything to you. SO in your view and those of Dan Shaugnessy-ilk, you pretend like you know what is "good for the game" because in your view it's all about the score. Next year UCONN is going to have a lot more "12-0" scores. And Lou (and others) will have more opportunities yet you and Dan pretend like YOU know it's because UCONN blows many teams out. That's complete garbage. What would it take for YOU to watch a game in which Lou is like that? It has ot be close, right? Otherwise why did you mentioon the 12-0 score and turn off the game? Next year it could be many more similar. You going to turn them off too? The "avid" basketball fan that you say you are?

The nonsense that UCONN is bad for the game needs to be called out. Because you and the dan's of the world are making it up. Probably because you have a preference of just wanting to watch close games. My experience, as an example, has been young males want to see DUNKS and HIGH-FLYING ATHLETICISM. A friend of mine, a big hoop fan, remarked hwo she felt the women look awkward.

I think it is a joke that you think because UCONN plays so excellent that you think these type of fans would turn to wcbb. So you think yours and Dan's preference of scoreboard watching ill turn them? DO you really think the classic game of Oregon State and Stanford in which the score was 48-44 was going to turn them? I'll say imo both Stanford and OSU can beat UCONN. But you and the dans are so focused on the score-- imo many hoop fans just aren't going to be turned on to the women's game because of the athleticism. Yet you and people like Dan keep getting your shots in at UCONN. Does it make you feel good? With the attitude you have of a game starting at 12-0 in which Lou already drills 2 3's, you're never going to really watch UCONN. SO please stop with the "you were so sad . . ."

The 48-44 game is not going to turn fans that aren't. So singling out UCONN is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I turned the game off when it was 12-0...then tuned back in briefly to get an update and saw the score was 71-25. UCONN is just in another universe from other teams...but I am sad not to have witnessed KLS's outstanding performance.

But, these continual blowouts are not good for women's basketball; I will watch the sport, regardless of who is playing because I like the game (and at least this year, my favorite team has a dog in the fight) but casual viewers will not be drawn and riveted to women's basketball when one team is so clearly dominant compared to all others. That may change as the NCAAT draws to its conclusion and the potential for "The Streak" coming to an end as UCONN encounters teams that can give them a good game in the final rounds of the Tournament draws those viewers who may not regularly watch but do tune in out of curiosity.
As a UCONN fan, during games where UCONN is simply putting on a clinic, I sometimes find myself wondering if fans of other teams are actually fans of the game itself and can put their bias aside and appreciate the level of basketball on display.

It is times like that when I think back to the 70s. As a NY Islander fan since the birth of the franchise and a former hack hockey player myself, I remember a team that played at a level that was at times, so extreme, it bordered on the unbelievable. That team being the Soviet Red Army.

Now, make no mistake..........................I take a backseat to nobody when it comes to my aboslute disdain for that team and what it stood for, for ALL the obvious reasons, but when it came to watching them play, I never missed an opportunity. Not only did the Soviets play a schedule of amateur teams, which resulted in blowouts of epic proportions, they would play NHL all-star squads. along with NHL franchise teams. In most cases, except for an infamous Broad Street Bully beatdown, the Commie 'bastids' would typically make short work of our very best, consistantly displaying a level of skill and teamwork rarely seen in athletic competition.

Now, don't make another mistake. I am in no way comparing our beloved Huskies to the farce that was the so-called 'amateur' hockey team from Soviet Union. I'm simply stating that when a team, or individual reaches a certain level of excellence in any athletic endeavor, a REAL fan of the sport, or sports in general should be able to enjoy at least the beauty of seeing the game played at that level, along with the knowledge that perhaps performances at such a level will elevate the entire sport.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
IMO the content of your post is such nonsense.

Yet you and people like Dan keep getting your shots in at UCONN.

I didn't take a shot at UCONN; I was just expressing my opinion. UCONN is awesome; I mean, year after year, there is nothing like them...and although Tennessee came close during its heyday, modern women's basketball hasn't seen anything even close to what we are witnessing right now. Perhaps you are correct in that I do like to see close, competitive games; to me, they are just more exciting. It is also true that I do not have the emotional investment in the UCONN program that its fans and followers do ...it was not my intention to ruffle feathers or in any way insult the team or its fans.

When I was a student at NCState in the 1980s, I went to all the Wolfpack Women home games and often traveled to watch the team when they were on the road; it just seemed the right thing to do at a school where there was rabid support for the men's basketball program but very little interest in the women's program , which was in those days still a highly-ranked national power (except for the miserable 1987-88 season, when Andrea Stinson and Rhonda Mapp had to sit out a year due to academics) Tickets were easy to get and I used to sit right behind the bench...so, regardless of your doubts about me being a true fan of the women's game, I am and have been for more than 30 years.

I turned the AAC Final off because after UCONN bolted to a 12-0 lead, I knew they were going to win big and there were other basketball games on at the time that offered more intrigue.

To show you how ingrained in the American psyche UCONN has become, I leave you with this little tidbit: in one of the classes I teach, there are several rabid basketball fans, and we usually spend a few minutes before class talking hoops. When I bring up women's basketball, they only know about UCONN, Tennessee and South Carolina; I can never get them interested in talking about my beloved Wolfpack Women; they just don't care. The game won't grow from a fan perspective until other teams get as well known...but it is up to the other teams to raise their level of play and make names for themselves.

Reaction Score
Someone refresh my memory............................

When UCONN played in the toughest conference in the history of WCBB and racked up win streaks of 70 and 90, what was the 'excuse' du jour???

Reaction Score
casual viewers will not be riveted to women's basketball when one team is so clearly dominant.

WOW! So farrrrrrr off-base!

Please, then, explain why the Harlem Globetrotters played to packed crowds?

I love to watch a High School play for the new, developing actors. But when i want to see the pros, I go to Broadway.

So, please, go ahead and turn it off while brilliance is dazzling our eyes.

And next time you see greatness, anywhere, in any field, remember HOW BORING life is when regular humans work a lifetime to become champions.

And when you're at a Broadway show, hey, why not, go ahead and take a nap in the middle, just try to keep your snoring down! Why not? Excellence is sooooooo boring!

Of course, there's always the option to keep awake or dialed in during a show of sensational excellence during the show. And if you do....

Then, please, go down to Storrs on a practice day, and with hat in hand, apologize to these amazing women and their families, for how little you regarded their striving for excellence, because, yawn, it's just not entertaining.

Hey, you might even learn something about greatness if you watch them carefully!

Yawn...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am MOST DEFINITELY NOT saying they breezed through the season. I am saying their conference IS WEAK from 2-11. So while it's nice USF, Temple, UCF and Tulane have all made strides, they are still significantly weaker than ANY other conferences 2nd to 5th place teams. That's all I am saying. The UConn does not have much control over that, which is why Geno schedules OOC the way he does.
As far as a P5 invite, why would they invite UConn? The two main Revenue drivers are Men's Basketball and Football. While MCBB has been good, I don't see them as "MUST SEE" tv to warrant inclusion anywhere. As far as football goes, seriously? No college football in NEW ENGLAND will ever contend on the national landscape. While the NYC/Boston corridor has significant value, the revenue sports are not enough to sway. I would love to see them in the Big12 but we need them more than they need us.

Not to get off subject - but eventually if there are more openings, why not UCONN? For example, how good will Cincinnati's football team ever become? UCONN did tie 1st place in football one year, didn't they? Which teams not in a P5 now such as Cincy will compete for a National title? Maybe SMU someday? would they get an invite to the B1G or ACC?

Reaction Score
I didn't take a shot at UCONN; I was just expressing my opinion. UCONN is awesome; I mean, year after year, there is nothing like them...and although Tennessee came close during its heyday, modern women's basketball hasn't seen anything even close to what we are witnessing right now. Perhaps you are correct in that I do like to see close, competitive games; to me, they are just more exciting. It is also true that I do not have the emotional investment in the UCONN program that its fans and followers do ...it was not my intention to ruffle feathers or in any way insult the team or its fans.

When I was a student at NCState in the 1980s, I went to all the Wolfpack Women home games and often traveled to watch the team when they were on the road; it just seemed the right thing to do at a school where there was rabid support for the men's basketball program but very little interest in the women's program , which was in those days still a highly-ranked national power (except for the miserable 1987-88 season, when Andrea Stinson and Rhonda Mapp had to sit out a year due to academics) Tickets were easy to get and I used to sit right behind the bench...so, regardless of your doubts about me being a true fan of the women's game, I am and have been for more than 30 years.

I turned the AAC Final off because after UCONN bolted to a 12-0 lead, I knew they were going to win big and there were other basketball games on at the time that offered more intrigue.

To show you how ingrained in the American psyche UCONN has become, I leave you with this little tidbit: in one of the classes I teach, there are several rabid basketball fans, and we usually spend a few minutes before class talking hoops. When I bring up women's basketball, they only know about UCONN, Tennessee and South Carolina; I can never get them interested in talking about my beloved Wolfpack Women; they just don't care. The game won't grow from a fan perspective until other teams get as well known...but it is up to the other teams to raise their level of play and make names for themselves.

Then how could you say you were sad when you turned off the game? So for example next year UCONN is going to probbaly be super, right? Therefore they are going to be wiping out MANY teams, with elads simailr to "12-0, right? So what would make you keep the game on? You've just said you knew they were going to win big. That's most important to you, to watch clse games, right? SO how can you say "you were sad to miss" when you don't care for blowouts? SO to sya "you were sad ot miss . . . " imo it is pretty hollow your making a point that "you were sad." If you had interest in watching greta play, at that 12-0 early game level and Lou hit 2 3's early on, why wouldn't you have kept the game on? As you say-- and it sems ot me-- you care little about watching a super team paly great, you want to watch a close game and anything other "you turn it off." That's okay-- and I am not mad saying this - I just never agree though because fans such as yourself are fans of close games tthink that everyone has to think like you-- which means UCONN is not good for the sport because in your opinion close games is what is significantly drving teh game downward for women's basketball.

I'd like to ask you 4 questions: In 2015 ths was a classic example. On Jna 7th UCONN obliterated Tulsa 98-60. You can see link below they shot 40-62 from the floor. SHot 13-22 from 3. And had a 2-1 assit to turnover ratio. Three days later a poster comes on saying they just fisnhsed watching the 2014-2015 Kentcuky vs TAMU 2OT game on CBS - score was 70-64. The person spoke of how great that game was vs what UCONN is doing.

Question 1: So are you saying you would prefer to watch the men's game in which neither team could shoot the ball, neither team could pass the ball, Kentucky took 35 free throws which was a big part of their offense and overall the best part of both team's offense was grabbing offensive rebounds after they shot brick after brick?

Question 2-- If you prefer watching brick after brick just because the score was close, how could you have ever said you were sad to have missed Katie Lou's last game?

Question 3-- The male students in your class - do you think they would be interested in watching a similar women's game such as the 48-44 Stanford OSU game in which both teams can't score and the best ways to score were free throw shooting, no passing, and offensive rebounding is the best offense?

Question 4-- Don't take this the wrong way. SO if I think the answer is no for question 3, when someone such as yourself whom I can tell is a very nice person come son here and claims UCONN is driving the sport downward, you can understand why I think you don't know what you're talking about, right? Because I think those many of those male students are not going to watch such poor quality. Therefore imo it has little to do with the blowout that you suggest.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/gm14tls.html

2014-15 Men's Basketball Team Stats - UK Wildcats

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score

Hoophuskie...if the opponent had been anyone else besides South Florida, I might have watched a little bit longer. But since UCONN won the regular season meetings by 30+ points each, and given they were up 12-0 just minutes into the game, it didn't take a genius to realize what was about to transpire. If UCONN were my favorite team, I'd have watched the whole thing... (just like I watch all NCState games, men or women, regardless of what the outcome is going to be or how far ahead or behind the team is). Once the NCAAT gets down to the later rounds, and if UCONN continues its domination of good teams, I'll watch the entire games and marvel at what I see (and wish NCState could be them!).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom