Wow Really | The Boneyard

Wow Really

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Really what can you say. Unbelievable performance by Lou and UConn. Defense was off the charts. I was thinking what are all the other teams who watched the game thinking. Are they thinking we can do that or wow I wish we could do that. Playing defense like UConn did last nite and like they can do makes it hard for any team to play without fear. Mentally you cant handle it because you dont know what to expect. On defense UConn does the unexpected and can do it with confidence because it is unexpected and their team mates can recover from almost anything.

So who's unfortunately coming to the Bridgeport region? I gotta think a PAC 12 team. My thought is ND ends up with Stanford and SC MD and Baylor with Miss St That leaves UConn hosting Oregon St JMO folks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With every other conference tournament wrapped up except the Big 12, and Baylor obviously had other problems to deal with, I suspect that a lot of tournament-bound teams were glued to TV sets around the country, watching the Huskies destroy USF.

It had to be a sobering experience. I suspect many of them said a little prayer before bedtime, "Please God don't send us to the Bridgeport region", followed by nightmares of Gabby, Pheesa & Lou.

If I was a coach, I might have turned on parental controls so they couldn't watch.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I rewatched the UCF game, thought it was a great game for UCONN to come off of and have a re-energized defense coming into the USF game.

Reaction Score
I see it the other way, most people will see this game as justification, to bolster their beliefs that the AAC is nothing but a cupcake conference and will dismiss what UConn has done on the court.

Reaction Score
As I watched last night's game I was thinking UCONN was sending a clear and distint message to the other 63 teams whom make the field of 64... that message... "This is who we are... UCONN basketball... are you ready for this?"
Some will say KLS won't go 10 for 10 again.... and maybe not, but she could... ev

Reaction Score
Picking up where my previous post list some electrons...
...even if she doesn't, are they ready to face the defense they saw last night. "Here we are... you ready for this??"

Reaction Score
No doubt, UConn played great against USF. But every game is different. A foul here, a couple of missed shots there, and all of a sudden the complexion of a game starts to change a bit.

So, now there will be a considerable layoff. Geno will likely put this game behind us and start focusing on the next. No harm enjoying the ride. But no time to celebrate arriving at our destination. A long way to go. And a lot basketball minutes ahead. Patience. Humility. And trust the system.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I turned the game off when it was 12-0...then tuned back in briefly to get an update and saw the score was 71-25. UCONN is just in another universe from other teams...but I am sad not to have witnessed KLS's outstanding performance.

But, these continual blowouts are not good for women's basketball; I will watch the sport, regardless of who is playing because I like the game (and at least this year, my favorite team has a dog in the fight) but casual viewers will not be drawn and riveted to women's basketball when one team is so clearly dominant compared to all others. That may change as the NCAAT draws to its conclusion and the potential for "The Streak" coming to an end as UCONN encounters teams that can give them a good game in the final rounds of the Tournament draws those viewers who may not regularly watch but do tune in out of curiosity.

Reaction Score
The big accomplishment last night (besides, obviously, underscoring to opponents that they absolutely have to go out on Lou, leaving the spacing underneath for Pheesa and Gabby wide open) was the defense. UConn doubled very aggressively on the perimeter and yet both collapsed effectively and managed to contest a lot of passes in the middle. Of course, they've been doing this in big games--esp. against big teams like South Carolina and Baylor--but last night they took it to a whole other level of activity. Geno spoke about this after the game with Rebecca, and I believe it was Lou with Rebecca also who mentioned that this is something they're going to spend the next 2 weeks on.

This is the key to potential success in the tournament. Even though this team is only giving up 5 more points/game than last year's team, there are real vulnerabilities, obviously, and this team needs to overperform. The defense Geno is demanding needs players in superb condition who have a complete commitment to finishing the job. Sounds like a description of Husky basketball.

Reaction Score
I see it the other way, most people will see this game as justification, to bolster their beliefs that the AAC is nothing but a cupcake conference and will dismiss what UConn has done on the court.

Rebecca said, as she marveled at UConn's work, that if the Huskies play in the tourney the way the played last night, no team in the country can beat them. AAC may be a "cupcake conference," but what about the out-of-conference teams we played: FSU, Baylor, ND, Maryland, SC? Cupcakes? Of course UConn will still have to replicate its effort in the weeks upcoming, but watching this game provided a clear view of what these Huskies can do.
upload_2017-3-7_9-9-13.png

(Includes sixth woman.)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony
I'm completely with you.
No other team plays anything like this.
Completely unique
And Geno may bitch about the D
But when it plays out like this, it makes life a nightmare for the opposition.
And this to the previously ranked (and now 26th) best team...not sliced bread.
Watching this level of execution must be akin to watching a horror film.
And #2 Baylor couldn't even defeat an unranked team.
(of course we had a little trouble with Tulane) :)

Reaction Score
I turned the game off when it was 12-0...then tuned back in briefly to get an update and saw the score was 71-25. UCONN is just in another universe from other teams...but I am sad not to have witnessed KLS's outstanding performance.

But, these continual blowouts are not good for women's basketball; I will watch the sport, regardless of who is playing because I like the game (and at least this year, my favorite team has a dog in the fight) but casual viewers will not be drawn and riveted to women's basketball when one team is so clearly dominant compared to all others. That may change as the NCAAT draws to its conclusion and the potential for "The Streak" coming to an end as UCONN encounters teams that can give them a good game in the final rounds of the Tournament draws those viewers who may not regularly watch but do tune in out of curiosity.
continual blowouts
No one would argue that it's not the most entertaining kind of game, and UConn has tried mightily to get into another conference...but that's another story.
As you say about the final games of the NCAAT, against better competition, these can be very exciting games. If UConn is better than others, it's not their fault. They certainly didn't outrecruit a lot of other schools. They just play harder and smarter.

Reaction Score
The big accomplishment last night (besides, obviously, underscoring to opponents that they absolutely have to go out on Lou, leaving the spacing underneath for Pheesa and Gabby wide open) was the defense. UConn doubled very aggressively on the perimeter and yet both collapsed effectively and managed to contest a lot of passes in the middle. Of course, they've been doing this in big games--esp. against big teams like South Carolina and Baylor--but last night they took it to a whole other level of activity. Geno spoke about this after the game with Rebecca, and I believe it was Lou with Rebecca also who mentioned that this is something they're going to spend the next 2 weeks on.

This is the key to potential success in the tournament. Even though this team is only giving up 5 more points/game than last year's team, there are real vulnerabilities, obviously, and this team needs to overperform. The defense Geno is demanding needs players in superb condition who have a complete commitment to finishing the job. Sounds like a description of Husky basketball.
Early in the season I took a lot of negative feedback fo stating that Uconn, should still have been ranked #1. Instead of listening to everyone's bla, bla , bla., I evaluated teams based on whether or not each team was better or worse than last season . Yes the huskies lost 3 talented players. Every team lost talented players. Right now, the huskies again have the best starting 5. PERIOD ! Uconn will work on playing defense without fouling for the next two weeks. Who out there really thinks that any team can score with the huskies top six players ? Does Geno look any less confident to anyone ?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It was very similar to the 102-37 game, in fact at one point it was 100-37. Except, the defensive intensity esp. in the first half was unlike anything I have seen from them, and that is saying a lot. USF was having difficulty making passes 35 feet from the basket, deny defense at its best. Two teams operating at totally different speeds and intensity. UConn knew they are faster and more athletic and they were determined to not give an inch or allow USF any room. I know that sometimes they practice 7 against 5. That is what it seemed like at times. Gabby's rip away steal and layup was the defensive highlight.

Reaction Score
Early in the season I took a lot of negative feedback fo stating that Uconn, should still have been ranked #1. Instead of listening to everyone's bla, bla , bla., I evaluated teams based on whether or not each team was better or worse than last season . Yes the huskies lost 3 talented players. Every team lost talented players. Right now, the huskies again have the best starting 5. PERIOD ! Uconn will work on playing defense without fouling for the next two weeks. Who out there really thinks that any team can score with the huskies top six players ? Does Geno look any less confident to anyone ?
+1
Geno was quoted last night along the lines of team offense (which you state at the end). He said that if Gabby can hit her 15' jumper consistently and if Crystal can play her game consistently, they are unbeatable. So, that's the next challenge that he's throwing at this team. Noteworthy, it was an offensive challenge; I guess he's cool with the defense at this point.

Reaction Score
"Bad for the game"... "I won't watch"... blah, blah, blah... all code for "I wish we could be that good and had Geno and CD coaching our team."

Highest ratings for any college bb game. Men or Women, when they beat a bigger, stronger and highly motivated SC team ("we don't want to be the answer to trivia question of who UCONN beat for #100). Haven't heard last night's ratings, but bet they were pretty darn high too.

When Baylor blows out teams in their conference is that bad for the game? How bout ND, or MD, ... they have blown people out too.

UCONN played a near perfect game on both ends of the court. How can that be bad for the game???

Get over it. Bring the lunch pail, get to work and raise your level of play. That is the only solution... cause UCONN ain't gonna dumb down their play anytime soon, if ever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last night the Huskies stole sleep over the next ten days from all the National Championship pretenders and all of their coaches and fans. Every astute viewer had to know UConn could easily have run up 120 points or more and could easily have held USF to 30-35 points or less if Geno had played his starters the full game.

Of course it's not Geno's style to run up a score and show up an opponent, but the evidence is clear enough.

While I'm sure Geno wanted a signature game like he got, I have to believe the team wanted it more. I was watching the game alone and caught myself audibly reacting at the hounding defense, the ball hawking, the ball movement and the uncanny marksmanship this team seems to be capable of putting together in a fashion equal to or better than ANY of the great UConn teams which have preceded them.

When they click like they did last night they are not only unbeatable, they are soul-crushing.

Sleep well Baylor, ND, Stanford, et al.

Reaction Score
+1
Geno was quoted last night along the lines of team offense (which you state at the end). He said that if Gabby can hit her 15' jumper consistently and if Crystal can play her game consistently, they are unbeatable. So, that's the next challenge that he's throwing at this team. Noteworthy, it was an offensive challenge; I guess he's cool with the defense at this point.

Actually, didnt he say in one interview last night that the offense is fine, they will be working on defense till the NCAAT?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

You can catch the replay at WatchESPN or the UConn archived game site.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
UConn put on a clinic last night. The entire team was in the zone and Lou's stroke was otherworldly. But it seemed to me the game was already decided after Gabulous Maximus performed her unique brand of shock-and-awe in the opening 12-0 run.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
"Bad for the game"... "I won't watch"... blah, blah, blah... all code for "I wish we could be that good and had Geno and CD coaching our team."

Highest ratings for any college bb game. Men or Women, when they beat a bigger, stronger and highly motivated SC team ("we don't want to be the answer to trivia question of who UCONN beat for #100). Haven't heard last night's ratings, but bet they were pretty darn high too.

When Baylor blows out teams in their conference is that bad for the game? How bout ND, or MD, ... they have blown people out too.

UCONN played a near perfect game on both ends of the court. How can that be bad for the game???

Get over it. Bring the lunch pail, get to work and raise your level of play. That is the only solution... cause UCONN ain't gonna dumb down their play anytime soon, if ever.

You sure about that?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I know the first time we played USF, their coach said how disappointed he was and used the metaphor " stole our lunch". Well, in this game, metaphor became reality when Gabby just ran up to the USF player and ripped the ball right out of her hands. The police should have been called in.

I will be curious to see how USF does in the tournament. They must be pretty raw now.

Reaction Score

Well, you did what Geno suggested -- You don't like a blowout, don't watch. But, as a WCBB fan, you also learned the price of turning off the game. You missed a record-setting night that was just exhilarating for any fan of the sport to witness. And it was in spite of the actual score. You see, the problem is that with this particular team, the running score does not matter most of the time. I mean, really, do you think we stick around to see if SFU is going to come back from 40 down. Really?

By all means, continue to turn off the games when the gap between teams lengthens, but you know the cost.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom