Wow .... LED Floor debuts in Madrid! You have got to be kidding! | The Boneyard

Wow .... LED Floor debuts in Madrid! You have got to be kidding!

Reaction Score
The LED glass flooring can also feature the ability to add player tracking to the video floor, making it possible to display live stats and athletic achievements on the floor, providing fans with enhanced interaction and better engagement as well as an enhanced show staging with additional options for sponsorship and marketing

Those last 6 words mean that soon, while the game is being played, Peyton Manning will be telling us how much he loves Subway from under the feet of the players. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Those last 6 words mean that soon, while the game is being played, Peyton Manning will be telling us how much he loves Subway from under the feet of the players. :rolleyes:
Hey if ESPN can have in-game commercials why not? Why even have commercial breaks when you can have commercials and ads running the entire time?

Reaction Score
I can see an advantage going this way, from a UConn perspective, they're in the process of instaling two new courts (Gampel and the XL Center). This technology would enable UConn to install the basic LED court and then the graphics department does the rest. :rolleyes:

What I'm really surprised at, is that Oregon has not done this yet instead of FIBA.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If I see one more Manning commercial I may need a medivac to Mayo!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Wow what a shot by [Insert player name]! He took that one all the way from Payton's nostril."

Reaction Score
So many surfaces are used for multiple sports so being able to change the layout electronically might be a great advantage. I don't think the screen will actually move while the game is going on but who knows, they do like to advertise.

Reaction Score
I can see an advantage going this way, from a UConn perspective, they're in the process of instaling two new courts (Gampel and the XL Center). This technology would enable UConn to install the basic LED court and then the graphics department does the rest. :rolleyes:

What I'm really surprised at, is that Oregon has not done this yet instead of FIBA.
oregon cannot see the trees from the forest :)

Reaction Score
Oregon has absolutely the worst court in BB history. Mind boggling psychedelic. But I would love to see this floor at both Uconn arenas. Would definitely make the game more interesting. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I wish I could find some technical information on these floors. The sites of the company that makes them (ASB glass floors) is long on graphics and short on information. I can see several possible drawbacks to these floors:

They have got to be hard on the body. Glass is hard. The surface has "ceramic dots" for traction. I can imagine falling could be very painful, both due to the hardness of the glass plus possible rug burn from the ceramic dots. It could also be bad for those prone to shin splints.

The floor would be both a light source and a heat source. Really unpleasant and distracting.

I'd think maintenance could be a logistical nightmare. I saw somewhere that the LEDs were on a 25 mm pitch, so (I'm assuming sets of three) 432 per square foot. I assume the floor is made in ~1 m squares. How many diodes would go out before you had to get a crew in there to take up big heavy tiles?

Yeah, you can do cool things and great advertising, but at what cost to the athletes?

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
. The surface has "ceramic dots" for traction. I can imagine falling could be very painful, both due to the hardness of the glass plus possible rug burn from the ceramic dots. It could also be bad for those prone to shin splints.
Does a basketball bounce straight when it contacts ceramic dots, or does it behave in some obtuse manner reminiscent of NCAA leadership?

Expiring minds want to know.

Reaction Score
Does a basketball bounce straight when it contacts ceramic dots, or does it behave in some obtuse manner reminiscent of NCAA leadership?

Expiring minds want to know.
I would think it would be a problem with bounce passes with spin on them, but Paige & Niks would find a way to take the advantage of the "strangeness"....

Reaction Score
That glass floor and all of the LED stuff was pretty cool. Has any of the players or coaches spoke about their experience playing on the court?

sun

Reaction Score
That glass floor and all of the LED stuff was pretty cool. Has any of the players or coaches spoke about their experience playing on the court?
Several videos were posted on this page of a previous thread about it.
See posts #13 & #14.

Reaction Score
Oregon has absolutely the worst court in BB history. Mind boggling psychedelic. But I would love to see this floor at both Uconn arenas. Would definitely make the game more interesting. GO HUSKIES!!!!
There is NOTHING Oregon could do to their court that would make it worse.

Reaction Score
Chicken Parm!

Reaction Score
Several videos were posted on this page of a previous thread about it.
See posts #13 & #14.

Cool. Thank you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom