wow, Brianna Banks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

wow, Brianna Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know I am notorious for not appreciating Brianna Banks.

Call me out all you want but until she improves her play against quality opponents, she will not serve any large role late in the season or in the NCAA tournament except potentially buying a starter a breather for a couple of minutes.

I will continue to track her stats against both ranked and non ranked through the season.

I understand that stats are not everything (Kelly Faris) and Banks brings things to the court that don't show up in the box score.

just curious, did you used to say the same types of things about Tiff (who this year did really well in the WNBA) based on those same type of big/ranked game analyses?

Reaction Score
I know I am notorious for not appreciating Brianna Banks. I do recognize her improvement and applaud her changed attitude. HOWEVER, here are her stats against ranked and non ranked opponents this year.

NON-RANKED: 12.0 ppg, 2.75 apg, 2.0 rpg, 1.25 spg, 0.5 TO's pg, 70% FG, 60% 3FG, 19 mpg

RANKED : 4.5 ppg, 1.0 apg, 1.0 rpg, 1.5 spg, 1.5 TO's pg, 50% FG, 0% 3FG, 17.0 mpg

My problem with the new perception is the quality of opponents. I do not consider playing well against Wake Forest, Charleston, Marist, and Colgate a premise for declaring her an amazing turnaround. Her improvement is clearly evident. However, I do not see her ever being a star this season. She will be a solid role player and I do not see that changing. Her points, rebounds and assist numbers are lower against quality opponents. Her TO's are up and her shooting is down. Minutes are close. It is for that reason that I am still skeptical.

Call me out all you want but until she improves her play against quality opponents, she will not serve any large role late in the season or in the NCAA tournament except potentially buying a starter a breather for a couple of minutes.

I will continue to track her stats against both ranked and non ranked through the season.

I understand that stats are not everything (Kelly Faris) and Banks brings things to the court that don't show up in the box score.

While I appreciate your stats, what doesn't show, is the amount of confidence that this young lady is gaining, each and every time out. Confidence in herself, that she CAN play at this level, and the confidence OF her coach, who KNEW she could...

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I know I am notorious for not appreciating Brianna Banks. ...

My problem with the new perception is the quality of opponents. ... Her points, rebounds and assist numbers are lower against quality opponents.

Incredible! Name me a few players whose stats get better against 'quality opponents.' Might be none, even though there are a rare few known to 'find a way to win.' DT would be one of those, but I'd wager her stats are lesser in those games than the games against weak competition. And if you find a player whose stats improve when the competition is greater, then you could argue that's because she's a slacker in other games.

Her TO's are up and her shooting is down. Minutes are close. It is for that reason that I am still skeptical. ....

I will continue to track her stats against both ranked and non ranked through the season. ...

Wow. Just wow. I guarantee that they will be inferior against the ranked opponents. If otherwise, she's AA. ... or loafs against the Little Sisters.

Reaction Score
Her game reminds me a lot of Tiffany Hayes: she has the 1950's one hand set shot [gets it off a bit quicker than Tiff]....the pull-up jumper....and the state of the art sleek drives to the basket. I think she is a bit quicker and faster than Tiff which is saying a mouthful. The games next week against sterner stuff will be fascinating...especially for BB and Moriah who seems to be adjusting to the college level and the Geno expectations for a point.

she looks to have a softer touch than tiff , and she just looks more under control when getting her shot off. watching her shoot, it just looks like there's a good chance it's going in, whereas not so with tiff, with those very, very high arcing things. she may be a better athlete than tiff, and smoother. i bet that she'll be better than tiff in going around defenders, rather than thru them. she certainly doesn't smile as much as tiff, which may be a tip-off to her intensity and focus.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
she looks to have a softer touch than tiff , and she just looks more under control when getting her shot off. watching her shoot, it just looks like there's a good chance it's going in, whereas not so with tiff, with those very, very high arcing things. she may be a better athlete than tiff, and smoother. i bet that she'll be better than tiff in going around defenders, rather than thru them. she certainly doesn't smile as much as tiff, which may be a tip-off to her intensity and focus.

From what I've seen so far this season, Banks has a more consistent mid-range jumper (which may be what you mean by softer touch). Tiffany struggled with that shot. I think they are comparable athletes. Banks is not the defender Tiffany was or is, nor is she as good a rebounder (though the team needed Tiffany to rebound last year; less so this year). Banks has the body and athleticism to be a really good defender and rebounding guard.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I know I am notorious for not appreciating Brianna Banks. I do recognize her improvement and applaud her changed attitude. HOWEVER, here are her stats against ranked and non ranked opponents this year.

NON-RANKED: 12.0 ppg, 2.75 apg, 2.0 rpg, 1.25 spg, 0.5 TO's pg, 70% FG, 60% 3FG, 19 mpg

RANKED : 4.5 ppg, 1.0 apg, 1.0 rpg, 1.5 spg, 1.5 TO's pg, 50% FG, 0% 3FG, 17.0 mpg

My problem with the new perception is the quality of opponents. I do not consider playing well against Wake Forest, Charleston, Marist, and Colgate a premise for declaring her an amazing turnaround. Her improvement is clearly evident. However, I do not see her ever being a star this season. She will be a solid role player and I do not see that changing. Her points, rebounds and assist numbers are lower against quality opponents. Her TO's are up and her shooting is down. Minutes are close. It is for that reason that I am still skeptical.

Black...You and your numbers remind me of line from "The Natural"..."Did ya ever play ball Max"?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, the first step to playing well against ranked opponents is playing well against unranked opponents. She's done that. Now I think she will make the leap to playing well in big games. Give her a chance! She didn't play in really any of the big games last season, I bet we see her against Maryland, Duke, Stanford, ND and Baylor this year. Then you can compare.

Reaction Score
just curious, did you used to say the same types of things about Tiff (who this year did really well in the WNBA) based on those same type of big/ranked game analyses?

I did not. Tiffany was a starter playing big time minutes. Even when her scoring was down in big games, she was never a liability defensively or offensively to the team. Banks was last season. I have confidence that she will excel as a junior. I appreciate the applause fans are giving her. I just think the praise is too lofty. She has impressed me this season, but after watching the MD, PSU, and Stanford games, I will not be surprised if she is a virtual non factor. Improvement is one thing. If you fail to log meaningful minutes against quality opponents when it actually matters, progress to me means nothing. I know I stand alone on my opinions of her. Tiffany, even when not scoring against the likes of Baylor and such was never a liability and did other things to contribute. I have not seen that with Banks. When she does so, I will be the first to admit it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Brianna's stats are better than Caroline's, you know, the woman that's invaluable in maintaining the offensive flow AND Moriah. But if we're going to use stats to decide who's worthy of praise then I guess they're all just kind of mediocre. Maybe Geno should get rid of them and bring in some good players.

Reaction Score
well, we now know (as if we didn't already!) that ANY thesis can be proved with statistics! No offense intended, Black, but I think you ought to consider gettin' yourself started with a stamp collection or sumpin'!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Facts! You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

-Homer J Simpson

Reaction Score
Brianna's stats are better than Caroline's, you know, the woman that's invaluable in maintaining the offensive flow AND Moriah. But if we're going to use stats to decide who's worthy of praise then I guess they're all just kind of mediocre. Maybe Geno should get rid of them and bring in some good players.

I am actually laughing right now. People don't know how to take a little bit of criticism on this board, eh? I am saying that people are overpraising Banks. I am saying she will continue to only be a role player this year and is not yet a "star" which she has been called. Next season I think she will be a great player. I never said she should be shipped off. I am saying until she proves herself against quality opponents, her progress isn't as substantial as people are claiming it to be. I never said anything about Doty. Doty contributes in big games, other ways than points. I haven't felt the confidence in Banks yet that she can be in an important game for extended minutes. Doty I would feel comfortable. I never said Moriah was better. Moriah is a freshman who is going to need to work to get to where she wants to be, as Banks is currently doing. This board is going insane over this team this year. Yes they are an amazing team, but I think some of the posters need to step back and look at reality. They are a great team, but every player isn't an AA. Banks has improved, I acknowledge that. I only say that until she really proves herself in a big game, I don't see her being more than a role player getting most of her minutes in big games in the last 8 minutes of a blowout. I know many people disagree, but I'm entitled to an opinion.

Would you want a player to average 15ppg against cupcakes but never average more than 5 against top 10 teams? No, because when it really matters, the player isn't getting it done. Its not the 80 point wins that count, its the close games, the Big East Tournament, and the NCAA championship.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'd actually argue that if Banks gives us five points, a couple of assists, and maybe a steal or two, against the likes of Baylor, that will be an invaluable contribution. She's become confident and decisive this season. Last season, if Uconn put her in against an elite team, she would have really struggled. Now, I'm hopeful she'll give Uconn quality minutes in those situations, even if her minutes are limited. And yes, next year she will be an even more valuable bench player, one who would be starting for just about anyone else.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I am actually laughing right now. People don't know how to take a little bit of criticism on this board, eh? I am saying that people are overpraising Banks. I am saying she will continue to only be a role player this year and is not yet a "star" which she has been called. Next season I think she will be a great player. I never said she should be shipped off. I am saying until she proves herself against quality opponents, her progress isn't as substantial as people are claiming it to be. I never said anything about Doty. Doty contributes in big games, other ways than points. I haven't felt the confidence in Banks yet that she can be in an important game for extended minutes. Doty I would feel comfortable. I never said Moriah was better. Moriah is a freshman who is going to need to work to get to where she wants to be, as Banks is currently doing. This board is going insane over this team this year. Yes they are an amazing team, but I think some of the posters need to step back and look at reality. They are a great team, but every player isn't an AA. Banks has improved, I acknowledge that. I only say that until she really proves herself in a big game, I don't see her being more than a role player getting most of her minutes in big games in the last 8 minutes of a blowout. I know many people disagree, but I'm entitled to an opinion.

Would you want a player to average 15ppg against cupcakes but never average more than 5 against top 10 teams? No, because when it really matters, the player isn't getting it done. Its not the 80 point wins that count, its the close games, the Big East Tournament, and the NCAA championship.

I'm kinda laughing too because I think you've overreacted to what posters have said in this thread and unnecessarily pooh-poohed some genuine excitement about the growth and development of a young player. BTW, most of us here have acknowledged that there are parts of Brianna's game that still need work. Why are you unable to simply accept that? No one here is suggesting that Brianna is a star or has become an AA (yes, you've thrown that straw man out there), or that she's going to play extended minutes in big games. What we feel good about is that her improved confidence and play will give Geno another option off the bench if he needs to rest Bria or the other guards, there are (god forbid) injuries, foul trouble or the need for some speed and quickness on defense. We also feel good for Brianna. The kid is playing well and enjoying herself and we fans are caught up in that a little bit. So what.

I agree with alex. I'd be thrilled with 5 points, a couple of assists and steals from Banks against Baylor.

Reaction Score
I'm kinda laughing too because I think you've overreacted to what posters have said in this thread and unnecessarily pooh-poohed some genuine excitement about the growth and development of a young player. BTW, most of us here have acknowledged that there are parts of Brianna's game that still need work. Why are you unable to simply accept that? No one here is suggesting that Brianna is a star or has become an AA (yes, you've thrown that straw man out there), or that she's going to play extended minutes in big games. What we feel good about is that her improved confidence and play will give Geno another option off the bench if he needs to rest Bria or the other guards, there are (god forbid) injuries, foul trouble or the need for some speed and quickness on defense. We also feel good for Brianna. The kid is playing well and enjoying herself and we fans are caught up in that a little bit. So what.

I agree with alex. I'd be thrilled with 5 points, a couple of assists and steals from Banks against Baylor.

Thanks UConnCat - well said and perfectly on target to what I think most of us are saying and feeling about BB. I think it is absolutely wonderful that we have a feel good story coming along that we can be excited and optimistic about. Hey, this is our team and someone we like, this makes us happy. We all anxiously await and hope for a mea culpa from Rblack355. And don't worry Rblack, only a few of the BYers will rub it in....:D

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Do they suddenly move the 3 point line in against Non-ranked opponents?

Last year in 393 minuts Banks was 3-24 on 3's. This year, in 111 minutes, she is 7-13.

If you can't see the improvement you ain't lookin'.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Do they suddenly move the 3 point line in against Non-ranked opponents?

Last year in 393 minuts Banks was 3-24 on 3's. This year, in 111 minutes, she is 7-13.

If you can't see the improvement you ain't lookin'.

Must be a "Black"out...as in lookin but not seein.

Reaction Score
I am actually laughing right now.... I never said she [Banks] should be shipped off...
Actually, you did, but your comment was removed because it violated the Boneyard Board Rules. And some other newbie clown was playing footsie with you, singing that same tune.

Man up.

Reaction Score
Petunia, she is indeed awesome and is contributing tremendously at this point. Last night as she came off the court at one of the breaks Shea gave her a really big "Way to Go!!!"
That was a spectacular 3 seconds for Brianna. Drive, score, steal the in bounds, score again. Time Out!

Reaction Score
Actually, you did, but your comment was removed because it violated the Boneyard Board Rules. And some other newbie clown was playing footsie with you, singing that same tune.

Man up.

I'd like to know which comment was removed. All of my comments are still public if you would like to read them.

And to dogdaddy, I acknowledge her improvement. Read it for yourself.

I think some people here are misunderstanding me. I am stating that her praise is too lofty. Not that she hasn't improved. Not that she should be shipped off. Not that she is a terrible player and should be considered the worst player on the team. I am saying that you BY posters are taking her advancements on the court way too seriously. People can praise her, good for her for working hard. Calling her a star or saying she was always a star with potential is what I don't agree with.

I am entitled to an opinion. I can take the heat of people disagreeing. I still have the same opinion. If she proves me wrong, great. I would be happy for her to do that.

The BY is a bunch of fans who think they know a lot of stuff. Geno is the coach for a reason. I have been watching these ladies for my entire life and could spit out history facts and stats left and right with the best of them on this team. Much like many of you could. That doesn't make us coaches or experts on college basketball. .

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The BY is a bunch of fans who think they know a lot of stuff. Geno is the coach for a reason. I have been watching these ladies for my entire life and could spit out history facts and stats left and right with the best of them on this team. Much like many of you could. That doesn't make us coaches or experts on college basketball. .
Mods can edit posts and at least one of your was pruned to edit out transfer talk.

Yes, Geno is the HOF coach and he's playing Brianna 17 minutes a game vs ranked teams. And he said of BB: "From where she was last year to where she is now, it is not even close," Auriemma said. "You watch her now, see how athletic and how explosive she is. And if you are making three-pointers, it's going to be really difficult for anyone defending her to keep [Banks] in front [of the defender]."

Reaction Score
Mods can edit posts and at least one of your was pruned to edit out transfer talk.

Yes, Geno is the HOF coach and he's playing Brianna 17 minutes a game vs ranked teams. And he said of BB: "From where she was last year to where she is now, it is not even close," Auriemma said. "You watch her now, see how athletic and how explosive she is. And if you are making three-pointers, it's going to be really difficult for anyone defending her to keep [Banks] in front [of the defender]."

Transfer talk? When did I mention transferring? I don't recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom