Would you want TJ as an assistant? | The Boneyard

Would you want TJ as an assistant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Knowing that he is a logical successor if you have a bad season or two. It's like bringing an instant coaching controversy onto the staff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would he be a logical successor if they had bad seasons? Wouldn't he be partially responsible?

If Diaco wants him hire him. If he wants someone else so be it.

Based on Weist's comments it doesn't seem like it's happening anyway.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Why would he be a logical successor if they had bad seasons? Wouldn't he be partially responsible?

This, but based on his body of work, he looks like a good candidate for OC if BD wants him. The only issue would be the effect his presence would have on the locker room if certain players don't warm up to BD and prefer TJ. It depends entirely on the relationship. On the football side, he was part of the Cincy offense BD wants to run, has done well with the WR, and shown some good things as OC once TJ the HC let him loose. Shown a lot by keeping the team together.

Ultimately, it's Bob's decision and I'm good with whatever he decides. I would be happy to have TJ return, but I'm also not worried about his future if he doesn't. He'll land somewhere fairly quickly.

Reaction Score
Body of work? Running the offense he's 3-8. Now everyone will chirp in that he wasn't really running the offense all year but unless you have concrete evidence that he wasn't you have to hang that 3-8 record on him too. Saying that, I'm sure he's a better coach than that record indicates but let Diaco pick his own crew. He'll either sink or swim with them so lets see what this guy comes up with. Gotta give him the benefit of a doubt till he proves himself wrong just like I did with Coach P.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't see any controversy. There's no question who is in charge - it's Bob Diaco. I'd love for TJW to stay on as OC but I know it's not likely.

Reaction Score

what comments did weist make?

Reaction Score
Santini posted this:

"TJ Weist ‏@CoachTJWeist9m
Thanks to the UConn people who supported this team.The staff & players showed undeniable class, character and dignity, but most of all Pride

TJ Weist ‏@CoachTJWeist3m
Thanks to Warde & President Herbst for allowing me to lead this program. It was an honor and I'll forever be grateful for the experience
Santini35, Yesterday at 9:07 AM
#19"

Those seeing the glass half full read into this as he is really wants to let people know there is no sour grapes and keeps all options open.

Those seeing the glass half empty read into this that he is saying goodbye with dignity before they actually show him the door, already has another job line up, or just plans to get the hell out.

If you really want to know what his thoughts are, then just read his tweet and don't read anything into it. I think he was clear enough.

Reaction Score
caught them in the other post...
not sure how to read them.

Weist is a coach with class. I think Uconn would gain from him staying on. But that's Diaco's call now.

Whatever happens, Weist has improved his stock over the past year and hopefully Uconn is in his future.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
This, but based on his body of work, he looks like a good candidate for OC if BD wants him. The only issue would be the effect his presence would have on the locker room if certain players don't warm up to BD and prefer TJ. It depends entirely on the relationship. On the football side, he was part of the Cincy offense BD wants to run, has done well with the WR, and shown some good things as OC once TJ the HC let him loose. Shown a lot by keeping the team together.

Ultimately, it's Bob's decision and I'm good with whatever he decides. I would be happy to have TJ return, but I'm also not worried about his future if he doesn't. He'll land somewhere fairly quickly.
Any GOOD manager is primarily focused on the people that work for him. He ought to be looking for and grooming his successor(s) from day one. He ought to be getting his staff the experiences, training, development they need to go on to something better for their own careers. That builds trust and teamwork. If he's worried about someone replacing him, he shouldn't be in the position in the first place.

Reaction Score
Body of work? Running the offense he's 3-8. Now everyone will chirp in that he wasn't really running the offense all year but unless you have concrete evidence that he wasn't you have to hang that 3-8 record on him too. Saying that, I'm sure he's a better coach than that record indicates but let Diaco pick his own crew. He'll either sink or swim with them so lets see what this guy comes up with. Gotta give him the benefit of a doubt till he proves himself wrong just like I did with Coach P.

420097_340204542684101_1619372210_a.jpg

energysuck-300x300.jpg

Reaction Score
Diaco wants an OC that the offense will respond to. My feeling is the offense will run through brick walls for TJ.

TJ would be crazy to turn down an offer from Diaco. The offense is poised to make a run for the next few years. In 2-3 years he can be in a position to move on and up. Don't know what he's making here but my guess is there are not many openings right now for the money he is getting.

Unless Diaco has somebody he is very high on he should strongly consider keeping TJ and Foley.

Reaction Score
Knowing that he is a logical successor if you have a bad season or two. It's like bringing an instant coaching controversy onto the staff.

I don't get this. TJ was a good soldier when it was obvious he was under the P/GDL lock and key. What makes people think he is going to turn into a cancer all of a sudden if he stays?

Again, TJ will have a chance to make more money here as an OC than he will pretty much anywhere else in the country (unless the ND OC thing is true, in which case, I take it in 2 seconds if I'm TJ). It's a like a Dean of a school who goes back to teaching but keeps the Dean salary. Money can smooth over a lot of hurt feelings.

Whatever is the best result for TJ and his family is what I'm in favor of. I hope that means him staying. If not, really, really need to keep Day to keep CC (and TB) development going.

Reaction Score

This guy is just scapegoating TJ for his Uncles.

Reaction Score

Is there oxygen on your planet? If not, that would explain a few things. Like why you're still giving PGDL the benefit of the doubt and crediting the OC alone for the dumpster fire he took over.

Nobody is irreplaceable, but I wouldn't mind seeing TJ stay. If he goes, he goes, I wish him well and will always respect what he tried to do here under extremely difficult circumstances.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Okay, I'll play Devil's advocate on this thread:

TJ showed himself to be a strong leader of people. He showed the energy and charisma that the troops needed to rally behind, and he was able to get the water out of a sinking ship. But was he really the OC? By some reports, the thee game winning streak happened while Shane Day was calling the plays, not TJ.

TJ is a very good leader, and many know that he was my fall-back position as head coach if our main targets weren't hired. But as an OC? I'm just not sure. Hopefully, Diaco will have more certainty in his pick for OC than I do...

Reaction Score
Okay, I'll play Devil's advocate on this thread:

TJ showed himself to be a strong leader of people. He showed the energy and charisma that the troops needed to rally behind, and he was able to get the water out of a sinking ship. But was he really the OC? By some reports, the thee game winning streak happened while Shane Day was calling the plays, not TJ.

TJ is a very good leader, and many know that he was my fall-back position as head coach if our main targets weren't hired. But as an OC? I'm just not sure. Hopefully, Diaco will have more certainty in his pick for OC than I do...

While Day may have called the plays I'd guess TJ developed the game plan, which probably gave Day the situational play calling chart.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
While Day may have called the plays I'd guess TJ developed the game plan, which probably gave Day the situational play calling chart.

Yeah, it could be. That's why I was playing the Devil's advocate side, because I'm just not sure who was responsible for the night and Day (pun intended) change in the offense after the halftime whistle at Temple. Hopefully, Diaco will be aware of that and will make his choices accordingly...

Reaction Score
Weist's quotes sound like they come from a man who doesn't have much of an idea what is going to happen.

Reaction Score
TJ is a class guy who did a remarkable job reviving a team left for dead. He deserves our total respect for stepping into the flames a pulling the team out alive. Moreover, he did it with class and stellar leadership. Those taking pit shots and suggesting he'd be a cancer are really pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom