Would you take a chance on DGB | The Boneyard

Would you take a chance on DGB

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
No way. One bad apple can poison a locker room and distract the coaches. Except for quarterbacks, no one player makes a major difference on the field. Bill Belichek has spent his career proving that.

Reaction Score
I'd say no for several reasons. First and foremost, guys who get kicked out of major programs are usually not as good as advertized, and the reward isn't worth the risk anyway. Secondly, while the guy might be a stud receiver, that isn't a position that is going to change the trajectory of your team. Nice to have? Sure. But there are too many other factors at play to make it worth taking a very risky player. Third, to the extent these guys end up back at some college program, it is typically a real mid-major one. I'd prefer not to accept that position yet.

Reaction Score
Just read the article. Now I say no freakin' way! Not a chance. Even if by taking him we'd guarantee a National Championship.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
No way. The risk to our reputation is too great. Folks still beat on us for the APR crap. Imagine the beating we'd take if he messed up here. We need to do it clean and do it better than the others. Too much at stake.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
No way. One bad apple can poison a locker room and distract the coaches. Except for quarterbacks, no one player makes a major difference on the field. Bill Belichek has spent his career proving that.

Yeah, Belicheck has been winning with all kinds of good guys in the locker room. Stand up guys like Hernandez and Aqib Talib, Albert Haynesworth, and Corey DIllon.

That said, I would not be for Green-Beckham. You get kicked out of a big time school, IDK if UConn is a great place for you.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Everyone deserves a second chance, but not sure UCONN would be the place for him. My guess is he goes to a FCS school and then the NFL draft next year

Reaction Score
Yeah, Belicheck has been winning with all kinds of good guys in the locker room. Stand up guys like Hernandez and Aqib Talib, Albert Haynesworth, and Corey DIllon.

That said, I would not be for Green-Beckham. You get kicked out of a big time school, IDK if UConn is a great place for you.
Interestingly though, except for hernandez, those guys generally straighten up their acts while they play for the Pats. If they screw up they aren't generally playing for the Pats much longer. I agree with your conclusion on Green-Beckham though.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
First, Zoo beat me to my joke: he's going to end up at Louisville and we all know it.

Second, no I wouldn't take him. We have an ongoing sexual assault lawsuit against the school and bringing this guy in would only hurt UCONN's image.

Third, I like our WRs group. It's probably the strength of the team. If there was a questionable character guy that played, say, OL or CB, you could make more of an argument for him. But I'd still pass given the ongoing lawsuit.

In any event, he's going to Louisville. They don't have to worry about admission standards there and if he gets arrested, they can comb the local prisons for a replacement.

Reaction Score
You take a chance on a kid that gets caught with weed, or sleeps through too many 8:00 AM classes or gets a Ticket for doing a sober 95mph on the Interstate. The article describes a hard-core repeat offender, not a kid that needs a new start and extra laps.

Reaction Score
I believe I read earlier this year or past season he has had a bunch of issues with marijuana use? Sounds like the more recent incident is much more severe. We already have a player on roster with a similar rap sheet minus weed. We heard about it last off season. He's still on the roster.

Reaction Score
No way Jose. What on earth do you have to do to get kicked out of Mizzou?

He probably is already on the roster at Louisville.

Great question for Jeff Jacobs ...;) He came here as a Tiger and on the attack of our coaches at every chance...

Reaction Score
I didn't even know he was kicked off the team until this thread. Was it on ESPN?

Reaction Score

Zing!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
All I'm saying is I think two years under Diaco would be VERY beneficial to him and to UConn. Pinkel doesn't have the most stellar resume when it comes to his past (DUI among other things) and you read about the new culture being formed here. One mistake and he's gone but when we're gonna need a number one wide out after this season and DGB would be the best one in the conference by far

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
All I'm saying is I think two years under Diaco would be VERY beneficial to him and to UConn. Pinkel doesn't have the most stellar resume when it comes to his past (DUI among other things) and you read about the new culture being formed here. One mistake and he's gone but when we're gonna need a number one wide out after this season and DGB would be the best one in the conference by far

I don't care if he was Jerry Rice reincarnated. I don't want a kid like that brought to this campus.

Who are we? Louisville?

Reaction Score
Anyone with a hint of violence towards women, in their background, will not sniff the UConn campus in terms of becoming a student athlete. At least not anytime soon.

Reaction Score
I don't care if he was Jerry Rice reincarnated. I don't want a kid like that brought to this campus.

Who are we? Louisville?

You mean the Louisville that's in the ACC next season, the conference we would die to be in? You mean Louisville that kicked our butts in football this past fall, beat the eventual NC Huskies three times in hoops and just completed a three game sweep of the UConn baseball program a week ago? That Louisville? How do we even begin to think we can rag on Louisville and that a "holier than thou" attitude is in order.

Reaction Score
You mean the Louisville that's in the ACC next season, the conference we would die to be in? You mean Louisville that kicked our butts in football this past fall, beat the eventual NC Huskies three times in hoops and just completed a three game sweep of the UConn baseball program a week ago? That Louisville? How do we even begin to think we can rag on Louisville and that a "holier than thou" attitude is in order.

Can you please post what this kid is accused of and then state your support of bringing this kid on campus?

Reaction Score
Can you please post what this kid is accused of and then state your support of bringing this kid on campus?

Not saying this is the kid to take a chance on, so I agree with you. My issue was for all of us to stop knocking schools when we are getting our butts kicked by them. Wanna dump on Kentucky? We've kind of owned the Barons of the Bluegrass in hoops. Same with Duke. And how cool was it to beat Florida not once but twice. But this fixation on ragging on Louisville? On what basis?

Reaction Score
Not saying this is the kid to take a chance on, so I agree with you. My issue was for all of us to stop knocking schools when we are getting our butts kicked by them. Wanna dump on Kentucky? We've kind of owned the Barons of the Bluegrass in hoops. Same with Duke. And how cool was it to beat Florida not once but twice. But this fixation on ragging on Louisville? On what basis?

Louisville has disgraced themselves in their pursuit of a P5 invite. Absolutely disgraced themselves. I'm not willing to go that far. If that's what it takes to get an invite I'll find something else to do with my time. I'd be out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom