Would you prefer ACC or B1G? | The Boneyard

Would you prefer ACC or B1G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From purely a basketball standpoint, an ACC with Duke, NC, Cuse, Pitt and UConn would be awesome. However, there seems to be little certainty that all of those schools will remain in the ACC.

I can't ever see us as a big time football program, but maybe if we're part of the B1G our location could give us an advantage.

Wondering hoew everyone here feels about this?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Would anyone ever imagine seeing us as a big-time, national basketball brand before Calhoun got here?

Saying the same thing about football is foolish. You never know what may happen and 20 years from now we may be a big-time player in football. However, that development will require a big-time conference as we need quality opposition to attract the type of players needed to become successful.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
It depends! On the surface, the ACC would be the better basketball option; the B1G would be the better football option. At least from a competition aspect. Trouble is we can't anticipate where all this is going. Among the various rumors out there, there is the possibility that UVA could be going to the B1G, possibly with UNC. NC State, Clemson, VT, and Florida State are possible to the SEC or Big 12. Then what you have left in the ACC is BCU, Cuse, Pitt, Puke, Wake, Miami, GT. That's not much of a basketball conference.

In the final analysis, the B1G gives us much, much more money and much more credibility. With that, we could continue a level of basketball dominance and significantly increase our football options.

Reaction Score
Either would be great at this point. Given the choice, I'd go B1G. I believe we are 5-10 years away from 4 "Super Conferences", and one of the ACC or B12 is going to get picked apart. Nobody is leaving the B1G.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Either would be great at this point. Given the choice, I'd go B1G. I believe we are 5-10 years away from 4 "Super Conferences", and one of the ACC or B12 is going to get picked apart. Nobody is leaving the B1G.

You went full-fledged nerd with your signature line.

Reaction Score
Imagine a home schedule with Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska every other year. That would sell out a 50,000 seat Rent.

ACC is fine too. Anything but the NBE.

Reaction Score
B1G. Stability, Big Network cash, Football sellouts & guaranteed expansion to the 60K max negotiated with the City of East Hartford, ALL sports under one conference umbrella, historic programs in both football & hoops (even women's hoops with Purdue), Like minded public state institutions, membership in CIC & its academic research capabilities. Need I go on? It's such a no-brainer that there is NO justification for the ACC if UConn is extended invites to both conferences. Susan knows this, the BOT knows this, ANYONE with functioning cognition knows this.

Reaction Score
Given the way things have gone the past week?

Even though we are a better fit with the current ACC, the B1G is the most secur lily pad we can get to.

Even though I love the idea of being in a conference with Pitt, SU, UVA, VT, UNC, Duke etc. there is no certainty they'll be there once we get to paradise.

Reaction Score
From a baseball view..I am praying for ACC. I can't imagine NC or UVA ever leaving the ACC for the B1G. What a huge step backwards.

Reaction Score
B1G. More money and prestige. Strong enough basketball. Good football rivalries with RU, MD and PSU. Plus games against Michigan, OSU, Nebraska. Plus we would have leverage to negotiate OOC games with BC and SU

Reaction Score
ACC - we fit there and I want to play teams like Cuse, Pitt, BC, Duke and UNC

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
B1G. The overall ceiling is higher for UConn there. More $$$. Both conferences have would have a northeast contingent now. Before, the ACC had a slight edge since I think UConn wants to get student applicants from the mid-atlantic but with MD, PA and NJ in the B1G footprint this is a wash. For football recruiting, I think either one works for UConn - the states I mentioned above work well but so would VA, carolinas. My feeling is that the ACC is not as unstable as we think it is, but the B1G is still the most stable.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
B1G, and it's not even close. I'd prefer to go to the B1G even if we were to receive $1 for the first 6 years compared to a full share of ESPN ACC money. More stability and the comforting feeling of never having to go through this mess again.

Reaction Score
Basketball is good in the B1G and it gives us the best chance to compete nationally in football. I'm all for it.
Don't forget hockey,which has been improving,and would be great fit in the B1G

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
BiG BiG BiG

Stability, money and prestige.

Did I mention stability?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
ACC. We can compete in all sports in the ACC and we don't have a B10 sized stadium. With the state of the CT economy and deficit, who would pay for it? Also, we'd be a perennial doormat in football in the Big 10, and that doesn't appeal to me.

Reaction Score
From a baseball view..I am praying for ACC. I can't imagine NC or UVA ever leaving the ACC for the B1G. What a huge step backwards.
The Big 10 has a few powerhouse football teams but they also have some quite mediocre teams. Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa and Indiana come to mind. I think I remember UConn just kicking the crap out of Indiana maybe 6 years ago. On occasion, the aforementioned teams have had a decent year or two but in general, nothing special. Oh yes, there's also Purdue who had a fine football history but hasn't been very competitive for a long time. It does seem that when it came to Rose Bowl time, the Big 10 got their butts whomped annually. For some people to talk of them as some super football conference is not valid, at all. There is more emphasis on it then there was in the Big East but it's nothing like the Big12 or the SEC conferences. I think if UConn were fortunate to get selected to the Big 10, they would at least be a solid mid-pack team, at least in a few years. They are still evolving and playing in the Big 10 would surely get them better recruits. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom