Would you like to see an MSG-type ceiling at Gampel? | The Boneyard

Would you like to see an MSG-type ceiling at Gampel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've never liked the great-white-dome ceiling and industrial lights at Gampel. IMO, it looks terrible on TV and makes the building seem like just a big gym. Too bad, because in all other respects it's a great venue for basketball.

I think it would be great if UConn could find a way to add a lowered ceiling, similar to the one at Madison Square Garden. It would add intimacy and character to the building. If not, I wish they would at least paint the ceiling a dark color so it's not so in-your-face.

Reaction Score
Cool thing about MSG is the lighting - whole place is dark except for the court. Gives you that Friday night lights feels. I don't think the Uconn brass are going to invest in dropping and painting the Gampel ceiling - have bigger fish to fry. The place does feel really fluorescent.

Reaction Score
I agree about the lighting. They may not, but compared to most improvements I don't think it would be terribly expensive. I've only been to MSG a couple of times, but I clearly remember the feeling that I was in someone's living room.

Reaction Score
I love it when the lights go down and only the court is fully lit. It sends a message to the fans, it focuses everyone the same little patch of the world. As the lights go down the electricity in the building comes up.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything said, I've always felt the giant white some makes it look smaller than it is.. but I don't think the money is there to make any renovations.

Reaction Score
Hard to compare an on campus arena to MSG - that place is 100% best in sports. You'll find some on campus joints with lots of history and charm, but nothing sets it up quite like MSG. The dagger in this whole BE dilution/exiting would be if somehow the ACC stole that venue. Conversely if Uconn left and didn't play in at MSG/BE tourney, it would be such a hit to what makes Uconn hoops so much fun. As far as attending, it's the premier event of the year - better than the NCAAs IMHO. And much of that is because of MSG/NYC and of course, rivalries. Soak this game in today - will be last time Uconn ever plays WVU in BE tourney.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I put this whine in the same category as the guy who got depressed thinking about the pitch of seats at The Rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duke79

Top Bottom