Would we be more attractive to B10 than Rutgers? | The Boneyard

Would we be more attractive to B10 than Rutgers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rutgers has never had much clout within the NY-NJ market, so why would anyone think that all of a sudden they are such a great prize for the Big Ten?

Is it possible we'd be more attractive to the Big Ten than RU?

I don't nearly as much about UConn football, as basketball, so I'd prefer the ACC, but we may be in a good position to decide our fate, as both conferences might want us.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
If they wanted UConn, it would presumably be in the news.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I think its comes down to TV's. Cablevision has 1.8M subscribers in NJ and there are 220K in CT.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has never had much clout within the NY-NJ market, so why would anyone think that all of a sudden they are such a great prize for the Big Ten?

I don't nearly as much about UConn football, as basketball, so I'd prefer the ACC, but we may be in a good position to decide our fate, as both conferences might want us.

If our campus was in southeast CT in the NY market than yes. But your question has been answered by the B10's actions. Rutgers has accepted and will announce tomorrow. Go to the conference realignment board.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is an AAU member, which the Big 10 basically requires, is in the New York / New Jersey market, and has a better football program.

At this point I'm just praying we can at least get into the ACC.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is an AAU member, which the Big 10 basically requires, is in the New York / New Jersey market, and has a better football program.

B10 Nebraska is NOT an AAU member.

Reaction Score
We should be burning up the lines to the B10.

Our New York presence is as big as Rutgers.

We also have a Boston presence.

We also have a Bristol, Connecticut presence.

We are a better university with a higher upside than Rutgers.

Our football program has a bigger upside especially with a B10 membership.

We are nationally relevant in basketball with numerous NCs.

The include of UConn would lift women's sports in the B10.​

Reaction Score

Rutgers has a better football team, this year. Their football program is arguably no better than UConn's and probably worse.

Do not know the reasons why the B1G would choose Rutgers, but football is not it. As for dominance of NYC market, athletically speaking, NYC is a basketball town, so Rutgers does not give you that either. It must be something with $TV.

Reaction Score
Right, but they're one of the only exceptions. Bear in mind I'm not saying Rutgers is a better school than UConn, that'd be ridiculous. They just happen to be a part of that club.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If they wanted UConn, it would presumably be in the news.
UConn may still be in play with the Big 10. Delaney is unlikely to stop with Maryland and Rutgers. He wants to hurt the ACC and ND. He would love to bury the ACC and BE just to remove a home for ND sports minus football.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

If TV markets and.recruiting areas didn't matter, yes.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
If UConn was viewed by the Big 10 as a more attractive option then they would have probably been invited first. The entire country knows UConn is desperate to get out of the Big East. Now they are even more desperate.

Reaction Score

Pretty easy answer to that question - - If the Big Ten felt that way, we'd have gotten the call and would be announcing the move tomorrow instead of Rutgers.

Reaction Score
But they were when they were invited, despite everyone knowing they were on the way out.

Is it semantics? Yes.

Is anything conferences say about their concern over academics anything other PR? No.

Reaction Score
We should be burning up the lines to the B10.​
Our New York presence is as big as Rutgers.​
We also have a Boston presence.​
We also have a Bristol, Connecticut presence.​
We are a better university with a higher upside than Rutgers.​
Our football program has a bigger upside especially with a B10 membership.​
We are nationally relevant in basketball with numerous NCs.​
The include of UConn would lift women's sports in the B10.​

Obviously, your last two points are of little consequence. Football drives the bus. Your other points are just opinion and not fact though I will acknowledge that your conclusion that UConn has more presence with the residents of Bristol, CT is likely true.

Reaction Score
UConn may still be in play with the Big 10. Delaney is unlikely to stop with Maryland and Rutgers. He wants to hurt the ACC and ND. He would love to bury the ACC and BE just to remove a home for ND sports minus football.

Logic would dictate that this makes sense. To me, it looks like this ends up with four conferences dominating the college landscape. The logical choices would be the Big 10, the ACC, the SEC and the PAC10. Each of them should be jockeying for the best teams instead of taking a wait and see approach. Waiting could result in losing a better team to one of the other major conferences and having to settle for a lesser one. I suppose it is possible that a fifth conference (Big 12) remains one of the power conferences. The question is, how many major programs exist? Each conference is likely to end up at a 16 team monstrosity. Are there 4X16=64 major programs or 5X16=80 major programs? If you think there are only about 64 of them, maybe the ACC goes after a "better" option like Texas or Oklahoma.

As I see it right now, the Big 10 will have 14 teams, the SEC will have 14 teams, the ACC will have 13 teams (14 if you cound ND), the PAC 12 will have 12 teams and the Big 12 will have 10 teams. That is 64 teams (counting ND). It seems to me that the ACC, Big 10, PAC 12 and SEC could just poach the remainder of the Big 12 and everyone else is SOL. Texas will join one of the PAC 12, Big 10 or SEC in the same way that ND joined the ACC where they keep some sort of football/TV independence. The only way for a fifth major conference to survive as a powerful player, 16 more teams need to be spread around those five conferences. The most likely characters would be:

UConn
Louisville
Cinci
UCF
USF
Boise State
Houston
Memphis
Temple
SMU
San Diego State
Rice
Tulane
Tulsa
UTEP
BYU

I'm not sure if some of those names are up to being a part of a power conference. As such, I don't know if 5 super conferences makes sense. It more likely ends up at 4 and everyone in the Big East and Big 12 scramble to join one of the four.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you think the ACC is in position to poach the Big 12, and not the other way around, you've already gone off the rails.

The ACC is now the Big East, circa 2002.

Reaction Score
If you think the ACC is in position to poach the Big 12, and not the other way around, you've already gone off the rails.

I think it depends on how each gets poached by the SEC and Big 10 first. They get to fill themselves out first. I see the PAC 12 as maybe the next in the food chain followed closely by the ACC and Big 12. So it really depends on how the feeding frenzy plays out. Remember, the Big 12 almost dissolved once already.

Regardless of which get consumed. If the top three plus either the Big 12 or the ACC consumes the remaining of the top 5 conferences, that's it...game over...we are screwed. Rutgers will have escaped ahead of us and closed the door. How we end up out when Rutgers, TCU, WVU and even Va Tech and BCU remain safe is amazing to me. Maybe we upgraded the football team too late and too slowly....

Reaction Score
Also, wouldn't the B10 be cutting into one of its most fertile recruiting territories? They own the kids in NJ now.

Reaction Score
If UConn was viewed by the Big 10 as a more attractive option then they would have probably been invited first. The entire country knows UConn is desperate to get out of the Big East. Now they are even more desperate.
The invites have to do with the B1G tradition of contiguous states. Now that Rutgers is in, they might be willing to break the tradition (doesn't seem Syracuse is desirable to the B1G but what do we know) and snag us to take more of the tri-state area and also reach further into New England. All that separates us and Rutgers geographically is the NYC area. UConn has been mentioned before as a possible B1G expansion candidate. We're the largest market without a pro sports franchise. That speaks volumes on what kind of an upside we have.

Reaction Score

In the past year, I've been seeing the similarities between what the BE was and what the ACC is now. The New-BE is dying a slow death, not only from poaching, but also because it never had a real vision. The ACC is in full survival mode. I don't believe that they make a quick decision, but there aren't very many options left. If and when FSU and Clemson leave, then the remaining schools will have the same reaction UConn had when Pitt and "Cuse announced leaving- it's everyman for them self! It's a bit ironic that the original ACC was formed by "football schools " back in the fifties.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN and Louisville would be good fits for the Big10. It would expand a bit on the geography and give them an even 16. Just my 2 cents. I would be happy with either though.

Reaction Score
They were when they were being considered and by the time they were "voted out" of the AAU it was already a done deal. It was an extremely political deal and Nebraska deserves to be in the AAU. If anyone cares to know how/why they were voted out please feel free to let me know, but it was a political move. All of the conference alignment moves are unfortunately about football. Therefore Rutgers and their TV market are going to carry more weight for the momentum of the B10.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
In addition to carrier fees estimated at 25 million in MD there is the advertising. RU may not be as high but Philly and NYC together add some serious dollars

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
By adding Maryland, BTN could likely get placement in the expanded basic package by cable systems serving millions of subscribers. The television markets in Washington and Baltimore -- the two that would be considered Maryland's local markets -- contain about 3.4 million television households. If the league can negotiate with cable and satellite providers to get $1 more per subscriber for three million subscribers in the market, that would generate an additional $3 million per month, or $36 million per year. This is before the first ad gets sold. Rutgers is a bit more complicated. New Jersey doesn't exist as a TV market; its population is included mostly in the New York and Philadelphia markets. It is highly doubtful the BTN would be in such demand that it would go on expanded basic for the 10.3 million households in those markets, but less than a fifth of that number would generate an additional $24 million per year. At those (very conservative) numbers, Maryland and Rutgers would pay for themselves. They also will allow the Big Ten to move into areas where the population is growing instead of shrinking.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom