Would Kimani Young to HC at Iona? | The Boneyard

Would Kimani Young to HC at Iona?

Reaction Score
It probably is a good fit, I hope not though. If he is going to leave for a HC job, this is probably what he is looking at. If we were to win a NC then he would have better opportunities

Reaction Score
i have seen speculation about kimani to st. john's as well (that's assuming pitino doesn't go there first, i suppose)

Reaction Score
i have seen speculation about kimani to st. john's as well (that's assuming pitino doesn't go there first, i suppose)

It probably is a good fit, I hope not though. If he is going to leave for a HC job, this is probably what he is looking at. If we were to win a NC then he would have better opportunities

I'm not sure he'll get better opportunities than Iona. SJU is likely going to have better options than someone who has never been a head coach before. Pitino comes to mind, but there are a lot of coaches who would be happy to coach a team in NYC in the Big East. There's an opportunity there.

Think about Tom Moore. Was there a better assistant coach in all of D1 ball when he went to Quinnipiac? He wasn't getting hired by a P5 school without HC experience.

Reaction Score
I hate this topic, but it really is inevitable. Kimani has done a great job here at UConn and really has deserved and earned the opportunity to be a head coach somewhere and Iona is a good place. As ot PNolanFan's post above, where ever Kimani decides to go, I hope he does his due diligence on the opportunity and does not take a place that sets him up to fail. If the only opportunities are places set up for failure, then he should just stay at UConn until better opportunities arise.

Reaction Score
Kimani leaving is good for UConn; assistants want to go to a place where they can develop and then sprout off to lead their own programs. Will only help improve the consistent quality of assistants to follow. Losing him is sad, but in the long run it is great for recruiting new coaches to the program

Reaction Score
I'm not sure he'll get better opportunities than Iona. SJU is likely going to have better options than someone who has never been a head coach before. Pitino comes to mind, but there are a lot of coaches who would be happy to coach a team in NYC in the Big East. There's an opportunity there.

Think about Tom Moore. Was there a better assistant coach in all of D1 ball when he went to Quinnipiac? He wasn't getting hired by a P5 school without HC experience.
Yea I agree, I was saying the only chance he would have at getting a bigger job would be if we had a great ncaa tournament run. Sometime top assistants on championship teams can slide into bigger head coaching jobs but in terms of going from assistant to HC you generally have to go way down to a school like Iona

Reaction Score
lalala GIF by Offspring on TEN

Not listening to Kimani leaving rumors

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
When did Pitino clear his name? Did I miss that?

Reaction Score
St. John's and Georgetown need to hire a proven head coach winner like Pitino. They can't take a flier on anyone without head coaching experience.
Amen.
Ewing and other first time head coaches have proven there's more to running a program than being a former big name player, or coaching on the staff of a successful head coach.

Let's hope the league Commissioner is strong and works with the AD's that have an opening to ensure they hire a proven program builder or winner with a track record and not just take what at times is the easy way out by hiring someone on staff or even an outsider with a recent great year or two but no long and meaningful track record.

Like Calhoun versus Mitch Buonaguro.

Reaction Score
“Name cleared…”? When and by who?
The article has a paragraph that says:
"In early November, four days before the season began, Pitino was cleared by the Independent Review Panel of the Independent Accountability Resolution Process. The IRP determined "no violation by [Pitino] occurred given that he demonstrated he promoted an atmosphere of compliance" in Louisville's NCAA case (tied to the FBI's investigation of bribery and corruption in college basketball)."

Reaction Score
Somebody will hire Pitno. He's a very good basketball coach. That trumps everything. St John's would be perfect for him. Hate to see it happen. Rather see someplace like Memphis.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
St. John's and Georgetown need to hire a proven head coach winner like Pitino. They can't take a flier on anyone without head coaching experience.
Definitely agree regarding Georgetown. Personally, I feel Kimani would be a huge get for Saint Johns. He be great fit there.

Reaction Score
Somebody will hire Pitno. He's a very good basketball coach. That trumps everything. St John's would be perfect for him. Hate to see it happen. Rather see someplace like Memphis.
I don’t think there will be many schools lining up to hire Pitino. He will be 71 prior to next season’s start.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Iona is perfect. He needs a New York school he can flex his connections with. Plus they aren’t a total dumpster fire. I want him to land somewhere Ill feel comfortable he can succeed.

Reaction Score
Strange Kevin Ollie hasn't been offered a college job somewhere. He does have a national championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom