Would college basketball be better if they banned the dunk? | The Boneyard

Would college basketball be better if they banned the dunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Listening to Bill Simmons podcast today, him and Chuck Klosterman brought up the idea of making big men better if they couldn't dunk in college. As a fan of basketball this would be wonderful, it would expose the athletes who can't shoot and it would force big men to actually learn how to play. It also may make the NBA better...

In relation to UConn however I think it would be excellent for Amida to learn how to play in the post if he couldn't just catch the alley all day.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
How would it be different other than not grabbing the rim? He'd just be dropping it above the rim instead of grabbing the rim.

Reaction Score
God, imagine all the missed bunnies of guys trying to have a feathery touch while dropping it in...

Reaction Score
How would it be different other than not grabbing the rim? He'd just be dropping it above the rim instead of grabbing the rim.
I'm not interested in banning dunks, but you couldn't attack the rim as aggressively if you were worried about landing safely. So it would change something as basic as the alley-oop.

Reaction Score
The way this is going, what would be next? A ramp to the rim on which a cheerleader would skip up and daintily place the ball in hoop?

Reaction Score
Listening to Bill Simmons podcast today, him and Chuck Klosterman brought up the idea of making big men better if they couldn't dunk in college. As a fan of basketball this would be wonderful, it would expose the athletes who can't shoot and it would force big men to actually learn how to play. It also may make the NBA better...

In relation to UConn however I think it would be excellent for Amida to learn how to play in the post if he couldn't just catch the alley all day.

Thoughts?
When the dunk was banned in the past , Players took a lot more work at developing moves around the basket. Kareem's would have never developed the sky hook if dunking was allowed. So in some ways yes players would be more skilled. I understand why people like the dunk. It is a much more "look at me" society now. I would like to see more technical fouls for hanging onto the rim though.

Reaction Score
When the dunk was banned in the past , Players took a lot more work at developing moves around the basket. Kareem's would have never developed the sky hook if dunking was allowed. So in some ways yes players would be more skilled. I understand why people like the dunk. It is a much more "look at me" society now. I would like to see more technical fouls for hanging onto the rim though.
Are you seriously using the dunk as an indictment of society as narcissistic? Am I out of line thinking you are at least 50?

Reaction Score
If you don't like the dunks, just watch the women. I mean that as a compliment to the women. But let's not remove athleticism from the game.

Reaction Score
If you don't like the dunks, just watch the women. I mean that as a compliment to the women. But let's not remove athleticism from the game.
Where did I say I didn't like dunks? I just said players were a lot more talented around the basket when there was no dunking. You can be athletic and have great moves around the basket without dunking. See Shabazz Napier

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
006fd811b42bb561542996b7ffb15bb36f25449f5f063eacac886919da848ce6.jpg

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
On a serious note, would love to see them ban dribbling. The passing would be phenomenal, and offense a thing of beauty.

Kinda like the old school girls 6-on-6 rules, where they had to pass the ball after two dribbles? Yeah, that was fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom