Would any Big10 program have hired WM as their AD? | The Boneyard

Would any Big10 program have hired WM as their AD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We're asking him to take Uconn to a level he's never been as an AD.
Maybe the question isn't why are we sticking with PP, but maybe we should be asking why WM is the guy for Uconn?

Sadly, another example of the perfect storm for Uconn. At a time when Uconn needs experienced, connected, and visionary leadership for it's athletic dept, we have a young up and comer who has already been out maneuvered several times by his peers at other institutions.

If uconn and SH want a Big10 program, get someone that has run a big10 program. Not someone that played in one.

Reaction Score
This is starting to get aggravating seeing a bunch of people questioning WM. I have kept to myself about him as AD but enough is enough. I know a few people in the athletic department and have asked them about Warde on several occasions. Not once has any if them ever says anything bad or negative about AN as AD (with the exception of KO).

They all say he is a great person, leader, and has a great vision for UConn athletics. They say heis just the person UConn needs and a lot of things today are from Hathaway not properly positioning them during his tenure

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Yea enough of the warde crap. He did a fantastic job with ko's contract. He added a # which was only used by 8 other schools. Look how well he monitored the football program. While other schools fire ocs and dcs over one game he kept gdl all year. Just a rockstar he is.

Really tho, warde can help with connections and that jazz but ads are not who handle this stuff. Its presidents who do. Ppl here see the wvu and lville ads and dont understand wtf is actually going on. The reason those ads are great is because they get it, they play ball and they go all in. The media and fans eat that up.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No matter how people feel about how Warde is handling the football situation (I have mixed feelings about it, actually), there is no question that he is making an absolute mockery of the basketball situation! Not only have we been rumored to have lost at least one recruit on the trail due to it, but we are now the laughing stock in the media because of it. I have heard it from numerous announcers on broadcasts from both ESPN and SNY; respected basketball people that are absolutely killing WM and rightfully so.

For his first big-time AD job, he's not exactly knocking it out of the park, and he needs to fix some of this stuff pronto...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I can wait a few years before judging. At least see 1) who he hires when there's an opportunity to hire a coach and 2)what will the trajectory of MBB and FB be over a ~5 year window. Right now FB looks like it's headed downhill but if there's an #uptick in the record next year (no matter who the coach) I would be curious to see how the program builds on that, both football-wise and fanbase-wise.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying he's a bad guy but he's likely a bad hire. It happens. One key to leadership is recognizing that sooner than later and taking action. Susan???

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I can wait a few years before judging. At least see 1) who he hires when there's an opportunity to hire a coach and 2)what will the trajectory of MBB and FB be over a ~5 year window. Right now FB looks like it's headed downhill but if there's an #uptick in the record next year (no matter who the coach) I would be curious to see how the program builds on that, both football-wise and fanbase-wise.

As I mentioned, I share your "incomplete report card" on the football side of things, especially since the recruiting does seem to be getting better. But there is no way at all that I will buy any argument for how the handling of the basketball situation is the appropriate thing to do. It's painfully clear that it's not. Either extend the guy or get rid of him. This "wait and see" dance is already costing us on future players, and by definition, the future of the program. He needs to cut the $#it out now...

Reaction Score
He also got us into HockeyEast, which was a huge move hockey-wise, and he got us the Bball development center. We'd been working on those for quite some time and they got finished on his watch. I have no idea how much credit he deserves for them, but I also don't know how much blame he deserves for our situation in football. Say what you will about WM's failures, but he's had some successes as well and they should be taken into account. I really hope he signs KO during the finals break, I think he's earned it.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He also got us into HockeyEast, which was a huge move hockey-wise, and he got us the Bball development center. We'd been working on those for quite some time and they got finished on his watch. I have no idea how much credit he deserves for them, but I also don't know how much blame he deserves for our situation in football. Say what you will about WM's failures, but he's had some successes as well and they should be taken into account. I really hope he signs KO during the finals break, I think he's earned it.

I'd argue that he doesn't deserve much of the credit for those things, since as you said, they've been in the works since before he arrived. I don't dare bring up the name "Hathaway" in this crowd, though....not advisable...;)

Reaction Score
He didn't "get" us into Hockey East, UConn fell into HE's lap. If the western shifts don't happen forcing ND to make a move and choose HE, forcing HE to take a 12th team, UConn does not get into HE on its own. Essentially, UConn beat out Holy Cross, RPI, and Quinnipiac for the 12th HE slot, not exactly top competition.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

he? no
bball pf? no

warde has only been here for a bit. here is what he has on his resume so far
-he had a marketing idea with a #. good idea and one we havn't done becuase marketing here sucks. problem was he didn't follow thru and think about it. not creative and we all know the story...swing and a miss but a small thing in the grand scheme. what scares me is that while the marketing may try to get better, we may try and suck based off example #1.
-he decided that P should coma back for year 3 and just gave a recomendation that gdl changes position. that staff went from not his problem to completely his problem and he deserves every noise about it now
-geno extension slowly dragging for some reason
-ko contract situation has been a fail in several ways. there was 3 ways to go with it and he went a 4th way. i have already broken this down in the past...

the next thing i will measure him by is this. with back to back fball poopies and bball with no postseason, i would like to see our AD reach out to the fanbase to pack a hopeful f4 trip for the lady huskies. uconn fans and students have had almost no travel lately. there could be a huge crowd for the girls if done right. we shall see....

Reaction Score
So he gets all the blame for what bad has happened on his watch, but no credit for any of the good because he's been here a short time? You can't have it both ways. If you're going to say we fell into HE, than you have to say RU and UMD fell into the B1G and Louisville fell into the ACC and none of this is WM's fault, but I doubt anyone will agree with that. The conference changes have been a long time in the making and we have no idea how much of an effect the AD can have on that.

As for keeping P, if we did fire him, which would have been almost unprecedented to fire a coach only a few games under .500 after just two years, WM didn't really have time to conduct a proper search. If you wanted him to spend $250k to a consulting firm to get handed a name like Pasqualoni that's fine, but since this hire will largely be what defines his time here I'd rather he conduct an exhaustive search.

Reaction Score
We're asking him to take Uconn to a level he's never been as an AD.
Maybe the question isn't why are we sticking with PP, but maybe we should be asking why WM is the guy for Uconn?

Sadly, another example of the perfect storm for Uconn. At a time when Uconn needs experienced, connected, and visionary leadership for it's athletic dept, we have a young up and comer who has already been out maneuvered several times by his peers at other institutions.

If uconn and SH want a Big10 program, get someone that has run a big10 program. Not someone that played in one.

You do realize that WM was an associate athletic director who oversaw the football and men's basketball programs at Michigan - he was not just a "former player".

Reaction Score
So he gets all the blame for what bad has happened on his watch, but no credit for any of the good because he's been here a short time? You can't have it both ways. If you're going to say we fell into HE, than you have to say RU and UMD fell into the B1G and Louisville fell into the ACC and none of this is WM's fault, but I doubt anyone will agree with that. The conference changes have been a long time in the making and we have no idea how much of an effect the AD can have on that.

As for keeping P, if we did fire him, which would have been almost unprecedented to fire a coach only a few games under .500 after just two years, WM didn't really have time to conduct a proper search. If you wanted him to spend $250k to a consulting firm to get handed a name like Pasqualoni that's fine, but since this hire will largely be what defines his time here I'd rather he conduct an exhaustive search.
What good has happened since he's been here? HE is a good move for sure, but it's really one that he didn't "do" as I outlined above. He outlobbied RPI, Quinnipiac, and Holy Cross. Whoopie. What other good things have happened since he showed up? As far as I can tell, our AD has been in a downward tailspin since we won the 2011 NC. It's not all his fault for sure, JH made an abortion of a hire at head football coach and the BB APR issues are not his fault, but so far his handling of P since he's been here has been poor, his public commentary has been awful, his handling of KO has been poor, his handling of the most recent ACC realignment was atrocious, his football scheduling has been non-existent. Where's the sign that this guy is any good?

This is a defining period of time for this athletic department. We are on the verge of either becoming almost permanently irrelevant if we cannot get out of the Big East and start competing in football again, and are on the verge of losing our fanbase if that move is not made. We will not sustain a BCS-level fanbase in football, and likely not in basketball if we remain in the Big East, much less if the football program remains on the same track it's on right now. This is not a normal time for an athletic department as others in the past have experienced. We're teetering on the edge, and if there's a time to have a bit of a knee jerk reaction to lack of success, now is that time. Unfortunately, P is staying, and it appears GDL is too, and they seem to be dragging their feet on the KO situation. This could ultimately be a tragic development for the school.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

i dont balme warde at all for CR. ppl here who do have no clue what goes into it and what matters. then just see the wvu and ul ad's be media giants and think our ad is the issue. not the case.

what good has warde done?

HE has been a rumor for years and when ND make its pick we were going with, they wern't going to go and watch rpi or holy cross be the team to join with. come on now. thats not wardes...thats been explored for a while, the girls already play HE and uconn puck was begging for either a upgrade or a dropping. warde was brought in when? feb/march time? we upgraded early summer hockey wise if i remeber right. your telling me thats warde and not stuff already in place? the only reason HE acted like others were in competition is they needed to protect themselves in case nd and uconn league for the b10 and they need to fill slots.

didn't have time to do a search for a fball coach? what? usf gave skip a extension and then late this year decided that it was the wrong move and got a new coach. time frame on that? cicny had a coach who then left and pulled a great hire. time frame on that? come on now...if warde was a fball player in college which i have heard is in fact true then after 4 games here it should have been painfully obvious to him whats good and not good. he arguably could have had double the time frame as the others i mentioned and he decidied to put p and gdl on his resume instead.

Reaction Score
Haven't you learned that when things don't happen they are WM or SH fault, but when they do happen they were already in the works.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten covers a multitude of sins, so to speak. If the question is would Ohio State have picked him, maybe not. Would Iowa or Illinois or Purdue? I think that is a different situation entirely. Illinois recently hired the AD from Cincinatti, for example. Iowa's AD has been there for 30 years I think. Northwestern hired the AD from Northern Illinois in 2009. So sure, Hiring the AD from a MAC school, especially one with a B-10 background is well within the range of possibilities for the B-10.

Reaction Score
Maybe you can wait a couple years, but can Uconn.
in less than two years, the BE has gone from WVU, Syr, Pitt, and UofL to Memphis, Temple, ECU, and Tulane.
In another two years we'll be playing DeVry, ITT, and Phoenix.
He may be the right guy, not just the right time.

Reaction Score
You do realize that WM was an associate athletic director who oversaw the football and men's basketball programs at Michigan - he was not just a "former player".
call me crazy... Big difference between an Associate Athletic Director and being the Athletic Director.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten covers a multitude of sins, so to speak. If the question is would Ohio State have picked him, maybe not. Would Iowa or Illinois or Purdue? I think that is a different situation entirely. Illinois recently hired the AD from Cincinatti, for example. Iowa's AD has been there for 30 years I think. Northwestern hired the AD from Northern Illinois in 2009. So sure, Hiring the AD from a MAC school, especially one with a B-10 background is well within the range of possibilities for the B-10.
I was really referring to the tenure... I don't have a problem with Buffalo. Just that it was his first AD position and that is significantly different than what Uconn is going through and what is needed now.

Reaction Score
call me crazy... Big difference between an Associate Athletic Director and being the Athletic Director.

"This was your comment - "If uconn and SH want a Big10 program, get someone that has run a big10 program. Not someone that played in one"

He ran two sizable programs in an B1G Athletic Department bigger than UConn's. He may not have overpowered the fanbase in just 9 months but he has the experiance and background to run the UConn AD. The current AD @ Michigan still speaks highly of him.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

I agree with you, Matt. He shouldn't get the blame for the conference change stuff. Anyone who blames him for that is kidding themselves as to how the realignment works. And I also agree with you on the fact that he will need to really do a good job on finding the next football coach (or fixing this one) in order to define the football program moving forward, so I don't begrudge him his patience on that matter. I've already told you how I feel about the manner in which he's handling the basketball programs for both the men and women.

So that brings me back to; what has he done that has been positive? Clearly he is still relatively new in his tenure, and I don't expect a laundry list of great things yet, but he should be called out on it if he is butchering what many would consider to be our "bread and butter" programs. And that's what I'm doing...

Reaction Score
I am so glad I don't work for the posters on this message board. Y'all would fire people for the most trivial things and would make terrible managers. You have no reasonable expectations of human beings or their positions. No context.

Didn't get into B1G? Warde's fault. Didn't win BCS title? Pasqualoni's fault. Can't pack the stadium? Marketing's fault.

Blame, blame, blame.

Terrible. This is getting harder and harder to read.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I am so glad I don't work for the posters on this message board. Y'all would fire people for the most trivial things and would make terrible managers. You have no reasonable expectations of human beings or their positions. No context.

Didn't get into B1G? Warde's fault. Didn't win BCS title? Pasqualoni's fault. Can't pack the stadium? Marketing's fault.

Blame, blame, blame.

Terrible. This is getting harder and harder to read.

I'm sure you are calling others out and not me with this post, since I agree that none of the questions that you have posed should be answered with the answers you have presented. However, I'd like to ask you if you agree with me as to whether or not the basketball coaches' contract situations should be handled much better than they are now, or do you think that WM is handling them both properly? If yes, why?

Reaction Score
the jury still is out on manuel.

aside from ko's contract, the passivity he has shown towards pp and deleone, the mccombs situation, the lack of any ooc games scheduled under his watch, and jetting off to the islands unexpectedly during the critical thanksgiving week when the acc decision came down and the lack of a forceful response to uconn's getting hammered on public perception, we can give him a pass because we don't know for sure if he's secretly knows of big 10 interest, that uconn wanted the acc, nor if gdl comes back, and if so how the team will fare. we also don't know if season tickets will continue to decline from 22k, nor how successful uconn is marketed next year.

however, he is paid to lead. we rightfully have high expectations. with that said, let's take a quick look at 3 ad's who succeeded in getting their schools into a better conference:

Pernetti, rutgers:
http://www.app.com/article/20121120...ing-relationships-opened-door-Rutgers-Big-Ten

This was really about a relationship between Jim and I that goes way, way back,” Pernetti said shortly after he and Delany addressed the media at a press conference. “Jim and I talk all the time and sometimes we talked about, ‘Hey, what are you hearing?’ and ‘what are you hearing?’ ”

Sometimes they talked business. Sometimes they just talked.

“Some of the conversations didn't even revolve around Rutgers in the Big Ten,” Pernetti said. “But I think as long as the dialogues existed — you’re front of mind, they’re front of mind — as long as the conversations existed, you’re in good position to be able to take advantage.”

There’s an old college sports saying that “recruiting is relationships.” Substitute realigning for recruiting and you have the secret to Rutgers’ newfound success.

http://www.app.com/article/20121120...ing-relationships-opened-door-Rutgers-Big-Ten

Oliver Luck, WVU
“Oliver Luck is a true leader. He has brought stability, momentum and energy to his position. He is someone we want on our team for many more years to come,” Clements said. Clements said Luck has overseen several major capital projects, hired new head coaches and been involved in the best fund-raising year in Athletic Department history – raising some $22.7 million this past year. He is also one of the key reasons WVU is in a powerhouse academic and athletic conference, he added. In addition, overall department revenue has increased under Luck’s leadership, and he has continued a master plan for facility upgrades with more projects in the works.
http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/...2201.html?site=full&mobile=yes&device=android

Tom Jurich, louisville

Of those three it is appropriate to ask, have they done more for their respective schools than Manuel has done for UConn? Manuel was brought into the program in february, 2012. At the time he knew that the most important issue facing uconn was its conference situation. How has he handled that? Since we are only told about the heroics of the ru, wvu and uofl's ad's, and how uconn never had a chance because of how much it sucked, we can only speculate as to the role that manuel played.

we know some facts, like uconn is in the big east with ucf, ecu, memphis and houston. we know that rutgers and louisville aren't. we know manuel was in the usvi and went earlier than planned when uconn reached the finals of the paradise jam, we know that jurich cancelled his trip to tne islands to aggressively lobby the acc, we know that ollie was given a temp contract. we know that ollie wasn't give a multiyear contract with a low buyout. we know that uconn has been pilloried in the press, both locally and nationally, for being a football program that suck and has structural issues so deep that it will always suck. we know that fewer people came to the rent to watch uconn. we know that uconn got beat by a mac team 2 years in a row and the two worst teams in the big east. we know that a deficit of 7 points given the aenemic offense might have well been 100 points. we know that the architect of the football program has been given a vote of confidence for a yr 3. we don't know if pp's bff deleone will be back.
we know that there are ZERO out of conference games scheduled in 2014, and only one in 2015.

we know that herbst hired manuel and called him a rock star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom