Would AAC add UNC-Charlotte? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would AAC add UNC-Charlotte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why should any UConn fan want to improve the AAC?

Fear not - not a one of these suggestions would help the conference.

Charlotte? Old Dominion?

They are throwing names against a wall. We've already been through Virginia Commonwealth, Albany, Buffalo, most of Conference USA and half the Patriot League. If a school has a mailing address, someone here thinks they're a sleeping giant.

pj

Reaction Score
They are throwing names against a wall. We've already been through Virginia Commonwealth, Albany, Buffalo, most of Conference USA and half the Patriot League. If a school has a mailing address, someone here thinks they're a sleeping giant.

Don't forget Stony Brook. For the NYC market. Sleeping giant.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Don't forget Stony Brook. For the NYC market. Sleeping giant.

I forgot Stony Brook and Toronto.

AAU, prime television markets - they are going places.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Since it seems CR is a dead issue for UConn a thread on how to increase the AAC power ratings is very logical.
Whether your in denial or not.
The only remaining attractive independent is BYU.
They are not coming to the AAC.

The Big 12 may expand to 12 but were about 10th*on that list.
This exspansion could deplete the AAC if Cinn. or a Fla team are added.
Barring legal action breaking up the football CARTEL.,
CR for us is over in my lifetime. (I'm pretty old however)

Google BCS football teams east of the Mississippi and the pickings are pretty slim. There are however a number of decent basketball schools who would inhance the AAC.
I know its a tough pill to swollow but when your in the 5 or 6th best conference; top teams in meaningful markets are not going to be flocking to your door. The teams that will come may require a little nose holding.
My personal pick would be one more known basketball team to replace Louisville. It would at least be a tolerable basketball conference. UConn has a basketball tradition to protect football was an opportuniyy that we missed and may never have again.
Your other option is stop being a UCONN fan.
in that case good luck with your new team

I will die a Huskie Fan regardless of where they play.
*hyperbole
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I currently live in Charlotte. They have a very big following here and most of the people here view them favorably. The school is expanding, they just redid their entire campus in the past 15 years. It has an undergraduate enrollment of over 20,000 (i.e. bigger than UConn, and a lot of schools in the AAC) has a pretty good rivalry with ECU (future conference member). Charlotte is a top 25 TV market to go along with the other TV markets we have nailed down in this conference. Oh and they sold out their spring game. Mock it all you want but this is another school that is a sleeping giant.

It does annoy me that nobody here seems interested in improving the AAC or doing well in it, we just want a B1G invite to materialize out of thin air. Focus on what we have and upgrading ourselves and we will get out eventually.
So Drew wants UNCC added so he can go to a few UConn games a year. I was in Charlotte last year during the tournament and I can tell you not one person talked about them. It was UNC or NC St and a little Duke sprinkled in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So Drew wants UNCC added so he can go to a few UConn games a year. I was in Charlotte last year during the tournament and I can tell you not one person talked about them. It was UNC or NC St and a little Duke sprinkled in.

The people I know in Charlotte are Clemson fans.

If you are old enough to remember the Panthers played their first season at Death Valley.

Charlotte is almost exactly halfway between Clemson and Chapel Hill.

NCSU has always had a following in Charlotte as well, David Thompson was from Shelby.

It's funny some guy from Charlotte is telling us to build a stadium on campus, like he's going to stick around and attend games after he graduates. If he was going to he'd quickly learn why Hartford and East Hartford have games.

Reaction Score
The opportunities to increase the football side not existent.
That's not true in basketball

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

The Charlotte metropolitan area has 2.3 million people in it. Sorry that during the NCAA tournament (which Charlotte didn't make) they weren't talked about for the short time you were here. I've lived here for 13 years. They have a fan base, a large one in fact. Charlotte has a huge conglomeration of fans. UNC, Duke, State, Clemson, South Carolina, VA Tech in addition to Charlotte. It's completely different than the state of Connecticut which has one major show around.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The people I know in Charlotte are Clemson fans.

If you are old enough to remember the Panthers played their first season at Death Valley.

Charlotte is almost exactly halfway between Clemson and Chapel Hill.

NCSU has always had a following in Charlotte as well, David Thompson was from Shelby.

It's funny some guy from Charlotte is telling us to build a stadium on campus, like he's going to stick around and attend games after he graduates. If he was going to he'd quickly learn why Hartford and East Hartford have games.

You can mock me all you want to, I don't really care. And actually I do plan to attend games, because I care about the team, and I would like to come back and be a part of the university after I graduate. I didn't TELL anyone to build it on campus I merely asked for the story behind it (since I'm not from CT) and then stated how it could happen if it were to happen. I'm sorry that this seems to have upset you, if you would like to discuss the topic on hand (which is why I posted this) I'd be glad to do so. If you want to make incorrect assumptions about what a 20 year old will be doing in his life in two years then post it in a different thread.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can mock me all you want to, I don't really care. And actually I do plan to attend games, because I care about the team, and I would like to come back and be a part of the university after I graduate. I didn't TELL anyone to build it on campus I merely asked for the story behind it (since I'm not from CT) and then stated how it could happen if it were to happen. I'm sorry that this seems to have upset you, if you would like to discuss the topic on hand (which is why I posted this) I'd be glad to do so. If you want to make incorrect assumptions about what a 20 year old will be doing in his life in two years then post it in a different thread.

It doesn't upset me. It's a tired debate on which one side refuses to deal with some realities. If you build they will come made for a nice movie catch phrase. Real life is trickier.

Reaction Score

Charlotte? Old Dominion?

I have to argue this. No one will ever think my alma matter - Akron - is a sleeping giant. Sleeping? Sure. Giant and football in the same paragraph? Never.

Reaction Score
Big time market in the state of North Carolina, UNCC is moving their football program to Division 1 in 2015 to be in the CUSA (they will compete in their first season of football this upcoming season). Would this be another move to help penetrate SEC/ACC country and to help us get exposure down there?
I guess if every other school on the planet dropped football it would be an option. Then again we did add East Carolina...

Reaction Score
I have to argue this. No one will ever think my alma matter - Akron - is a sleeping giant. Sleeping? Sure. Giant and football in the same paragraph? Never.
That might change if LeBron James buys the school and renames it after himself. King James University.

Reaction Score

Charlotte? Old Dominion?

The best was the suggestion that Buffalo be our partner to the B1G. That thread had a chance to be high hilarity. Sadly, it got bogged down in the history of the SUNY system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom